VK Fuel Injection + Turbo on LJ 202

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _shadowmaster_

_shadowmaster_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:50 PM

I just bought a Black 202 Engine and Fuel Injection setup out of a VK Commodore, It come with wiring harness and ECU... I currently have a stock red motor 202 as well and am looking at the cheapest option performance wise to put a turbo on... I was initially just put a turbo with a blow through carby on the stock 202 (yes i know the motor wont handle the boost but its only for now)... But now that i have the black motor im thinking running the black motor in it with the injection and put the turbo on that.. My questions are

1. Whats needed to run the injection in an LJ
2. Does anyone know what parts of the wiring harness or other pieces are going to be needed to be hooked up to run correctly (oxygen sensors etc)
3. Will there be any clearance issues with the injection manifold or turbo manifold in an LJ engine bay ?

If anyone has done either of these and has any advice would be greatlly appreciated.

#2 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

try this website..............www.turbo202.com.au

#3 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:32 PM

^ when you go there, follow posts under my same user name, you will come across some info (and links to pics) of my mates VK, a EFI 202 we turbod, but still used the factory VK ECU (it was a bit bodge, but still ran a 12.5 street trim)

MT

#4 _mervex_

_mervex_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

why do you think the motor won't handle the boost? A stock comp 202 will take 7psi no probs.Decomp it and 14 psi is no prbs.Done it a hundred times.2 things will blow a motor,too many revs and detonation.If you have things under control,it does not matter how much power or torque you make.
mervex

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Yep i can vouch that a stock 202 can handle a bit of boost with no worries.

Mine was a blue motor though which is a bit of a factor.

Cheers.

#6 _shadowmaster_

_shadowmaster_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Anyone have any info on doing this kind of conversion on an LJ ???

#7 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:54 PM

One tip if you choose to go with the VK injection in your LC/LJ-
Run a Factory Cast exhaust manifold and have a J Pipe made up to run off the exhaust flange.
The turbo can then be bolted to the Jpipe turbo flange and positioned up near the front of the engine!....You will need to do this as you wont be able to bolt a turbo anywhere near the "SLAB OF RIBS" EFI Intake manifold thats forsure

#8 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

gday shadow master i done that conversion it wasnt easy but patence is the key i get back to you on that one the list is long

#9 _Lchammer_

_Lchammer_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

Have seen this setup in a yellow LJ. Was crashed(Ithink) and motor was sold off.

Attached Files

#10 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

hey shadow sorry been late with the post ok .this is my set up that done on my lj
,i had to modify the engine mount left side on the crossmember for clearence of the turbo because it just wouldn't work with the standard set up on the lj ,second you gonna have to modify the sump and the oil pick up other wise it not gonna work they are main problem to get start

yella terra ,alloy head ,roller rockers guide plates ,hardened push rods oring block ,copper head gasket ,custom plenum xf throttle body 550cc injectors ,malpassi fuel reg ,custom steam pipe extractor manifold ,to4 r garret turbo 700hp 42mm external waste gate ,romac balancer ,blue motor crank = rods shotpeened rods, arp bolts ,arp head studs, acl hq racing piston, price pan sump, hi volume oil pump,price pan sump,custom solid cam 20inch clearance custom crank angle sensor ,commodore coils and a motec m4 that was the old setup and then i blew the bottom end

after all that crap it was ok but not the ok if you know what i mean .....
then i had a major over haul then i chucked in forged piston etc etc and she flys also i backed it up with a 2 speed power glide and a 9inch diff mini spool ,also you will have to modify the tail shaft if you want it to work ,that set up i ran was nothing special but after all that i went all out and now she makes v8 ;s look like donkeys ................if ya have any probs gimmie a shout more then happy to help
cheers

#11 _daveHQ_

_daveHQ_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

nicks, how do you find the powerglide?? was it easy to find and cheap enough to buy, does it handle the power ok, did you have to strengthen it up at all ect?

#12 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

yella terra ,alloy head ,roller rockers guide plates ,hardened push rods oring block ,copper head gasket ,custom plenum xf throttle body 550cc injectors ,malpassi fuel reg ,custom steam pipe extractor manifold ,to4 r garret turbo 700hp 42mm external waste gate ,romac balancer ,blue motor crank = rods shotpeened rods, arp bolts ,arp head studs, acl hq racing piston, price pan sump, hi volume oil pump,price pan sump,custom solid cam 20inch clearance custom crank angle sensor ,commodore coils and a motec m4 that was the old setup and then i blew the bottom end

after all that crap it was ok but not the ok if you know what i mean .....
then i had a major over haul then i chucked in forged piston etc etc and she flys also i backed it up with a 2 speed power glide and a 9inch diff mini spool ,also you will have to modify the tail shaft if you want it to work ,that set up i ran was nothing special but after all that i went all out and now she makes v8 ;s look like donkeys ................if ya have any probs gimmie a shout more then happy to help
cheers

id be interested in how it went any drag times ? or hp figures?

Cheers Hayden

#13 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

gday dave hq
i'll be honest dave i havent had any problems whats so ever with the 2 speed powerglide ,best words to describe it is fuken awesome .i would strongly recommend it .people spin out and shake their head ,it just make me laugh ,no probs for handling ,awesome best box ive ever had

#14 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

gday hayden
it was just above the 450 mark ,nothing wrong with the old 202 i was more then happy ,but she a tight little combo ,my car is no different to the photos you got on the top of the page ,notice how close the turbo is to the chassie rail ,thats just like far out man how close can ya go ........
cheers nick

#15 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

hi Nick,

did u need much boost to get that hp? i gather that is at the engine?.

Cheers Hayden

#16 _daveHQ_

_daveHQ_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

excellent nicks, me and a mate are building a burnout car, it'll have a turboed 202, were thinking a 2 speed glide is the best option, we've heard lots of good things so far about them

#17 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

hey dave
awesome mate ,you've heard this saying before u tried the rest now just get the best ,for me personally 2 speed im never gonna change it when i blew my bottom end i thought da gear box would need a big make over but when it got pulled down she was fine no dramas .all so good advice strengthen up your crossmember i ripped mine lucky it didnt come off i get some picks so you can get a better idea.
cheers nicko

#18 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

hey drag lc
yeah 20 + depends how you set your car up fuel ,tyres etc and dave hq im pretty sure i got some piks lying about of my crossmember so you can what damaged was done it might spin you out ,mate it blew me .....

#19 _nicks_

_nicks_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

how do u put picks anyone

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

Here Nicks

http://www.gmh-toran...s-on-this-site/

#21 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:22 AM

Dragging up an old post but im trying to find who made the turbo manifold ?

Does that plate say RICEYZ??

Anyone know who/where they are or are they still going?

Been googling for frOcking hours :fool:

Any info would good :spoton: :spoton:

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

exactly which one are you talking about?

this is a tried and true job now days there are 20+ kits on the market....

#23 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Ummm this one! The one with the RICEYZ (or whatever is says)  plate on it

post-12789-0-26446000-1318235587.jpg

20+ kits on the market?

Please show me the links cose ive been googling for a while & aint finding much.

I dont do facefrOck so that may be limiting.

Not interested in any strata draw through set ups

Going to do a blow through 4 barrel throttle body injection cose the bits are laying around.

So i was only looking for an exhaust manifold to save some time but think im just going to make one from stainless as theres lots laying around.

Its drag only so its not gunna see many miles

#24 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

hi Trevor,

how fast are you thinking of going with this combo?, any i idea on the engine combo, turbo cal head?.

cheers

i made my own stainless turbo mani for mine, 321ss,its stepped, tri y design, correct length for my combo. took a while but can be done.

#25 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

hi Trevor,

how fast are you thinking of going with this combo?, any i idea on the engine combo, turbo cal head?.

cheers

i made my own stainless turbo mani for mine, 321ss,its stepped, tri y design, correct length for my combo. took a while but can be done.

Hi mate

High 10's low 11's is the ballpark

Lol the engine combo changes mainly to being a tight arse & wanting to use what i have laying around

, blue & red stuff.

Im not going for ultimate performance but about 450fwhp

So far it will be

9 port, opened up (we i get the flow bench to suck harder!)

blow through 4 barrel efi on cain manifold

TO4B

on a refreshed 3.3 bottom end initially ( later will be 2.8 with longer rods when i put it together)

Manualised trimatic

BW78

Slicks

In a stripped LJ 4 door

All of this i have so far  but gotta go to work now to scrounge through the scrap pile for s/s bends

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users