Spark plug leads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:09 AM

How would i know when to change the Leads. And how much difference would better quality ones make over a cheap set.

Thanks
Mike

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:50 AM

If the leads are regular type, measure the resistance of each lead with a multimeter. Leads that exceed 15K Ohms per meter are on there way out and should perhaps replace them for the sake of reliability. Even regular leads vary a bit here, top gun 8mm leads are typically near this value when new, while others are about half.
If the leads are physically damaged on the outside(check carefully around the plug/boot end as they d)eteriorate faster here due to the heat, then they can be the cause of the spark jumping to something else rather than the gap across the plug. The wider you make the gap on the plug, the better the chance of this happening.
A rather large thread was started....and finished on it around Jan if you want to go back and search.
Performance leads.....i dont think there was anything to show that they'll make the car go faster, other than subjective reports. Apparently though the insulation is of much better quality, supposed letting you handle spark leads while the motor is running and reduced em radiation in the radio band and lower resistance. Of course a defective set of regular leads replaced by high performance leads will always offer an improvement.
My 10cents, if the car is not "missing", and they dont exceed the resistance values.....save your money. They dont have to be replaced, one of my UCs still has all original leads, keep them clean by wiping all the grit and grease of with kero.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

Dunno how much better it goes. Seems a bit nicer. Just put on Eagle 11mm silcone leads.

Got the cable management system that goes on the side of the rockers. Found out that with such systems your No. 1 on the dizzy has to be somewhere between 7 O'Clock and 6 O'Clock when standing in front of the car for them to reach, not 12 O'Clock and 1 O'Clock like it is at the moment, otherwise some leads are too tight.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 23 May 2006 - 10:13 AM.

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

when you do get new leads always make sure you get holders, nothing kills leads like letting them flop around

#5 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:07 PM

We make custom leads in house... Any length any terminal type.

As Devil has mentioned, anything over 15,000 Ohms per metre is bin time. For the record we only use MSD or Magnacore wire, the resistance of the MSD Super Conductor is the lowest on the market, at 60 ohms per foot, or appox 180 ohms per metre.

#6 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

,May 30 2006, 09:07 PM] We make custom leads in house... Any length any terminal type.

As Devil has mentioned, anything over 15,000 Ohms per metre is bin time. For the record we only use MSD or Magnacore wire, the resistance of the MSD Super Conductor is the lowest on the market, at 60 ohms per foot, or appox 180 ohms per metre.

How much would a set of 6 cost ya?

#7 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:40 PM

for a decent set ud wanna pay around 100 to 150...

depending upon the size and company u go to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users