148 replies to this topic

#1 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Heya all,

Don't know how I've managed to keep this car - but I have.

Anyhow Over the past few weeks I've been sourcing bits that are missing (thanks to those that have helped).

The idea is I'll put the car together in its shabby state, then when I know everything fits etc, I'll pull it apart and paint it.

The car is a 76 SS 6cyl auto factory air. I pulled the 6 out when I was 18 and put a 308, 4 speed, 9 inch. Went pretty well too....So thats what it will be again.

Just got some questions about this spare wheel cover I'm making....

I've used 12mm chipboard, and Ive got the basic shape. I want to make as close to original as possible. I threw mine out years ago. Has anyone got an original one to measure the cutout
hole on the drivers rear where one of the latches goes. I've got the original hinge, latches and S clip. But I'm keen to find the exact size of the hand grip cut out on the drivers side...

Also, what was used to fix the latches and S clip? I assume it was 3/8" self tappers? Anyone? Also are the latches painted black? Hinge? Chipboard? Satin or flat? Help appreciated.

Cheers, Scott

Attached Files

#2 _sting_

_sting_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

Hi scott good to see a hatch getting done ,put some photo's up soon hey good luck.
cheers sting

#3 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

Hi Scott ! Id love to see some pics of the ole girl even in its state now as im sure plenty of others do. Gets some pics up asap and good luck with the build :)

#4 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement gents. I'll snap some photos and put them up. I'm doing some original style hatchback rear seat backs at the moment. I'll throw up some photos of those as well.

Cheers \m/

#5 _napes_au_

_napes_au_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Can't rush these things.... Keep 'em coming.... :spoton:

#6 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

ive got some measurements for that courtesy of SSTorana many years ago

give me your email and i will scan and send them to you

cheers

#7 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

#8 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

I got a few measurements from original cars at the Torana fest and came up with a spare cover. Still need measurements for the solid mounted wheel arch chip-board though...

While I was at it I took some measurements from my rear seat chip-board & made some new ones - as close to riginal as I possibly could. Got some new screws & captive nuts - the old ones were beyond it.

Still been chasing bits. Slowly accumulating. I'll throw up some more pics soon.
Cheers, \m/

Attached Files

#9 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

i bought my hatch back in 1990 and funnily enough that board was already gone on mine, and painted twice, it was only 14 years old ??? Good to see another hatch being restored

Edited by SS Hatchback, 25 September 2011 - 09:46 PM.

#10 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Yeah seems funny to use chip-board - but thats the way they were. A cheaply made car in many ways!

Hers some pics of some NOS tail Light lenses that I've coloured, should look OK with those shiney plastics...

Attached Files

#11 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

The torry as she sits...

And a couple of boxes to choose from. M21 it will be, at least to start. Anyone got a Tremec...?

The hq sump goes on an old VN block for the green pannie, while the red motor comes out of the Green pannie for the Torana...

Attached Files

#12 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thought I'd a a few pics of some of the things I've been upto. Like a lot a crew, dont have heaps of time, so just chip away. The Idea is to get the car complete & driveable as is then pull it apart and paint - but only once its all been together already.

Picked up a bunch of stuff over the months.

Best find by far...
Posted Image

Factory original 76 ss hatch seats that have been in storage for over 25 years. They are chevron chamois, same as my car was from factory. also picked up rear side cards, hatch side panels with vents etc, full factory carpet and an original fuel tank that had been in storage for the same amount of time. If you asked me, I never would have thought it existed...a very rare interior in near perfect condition!

#13 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Woops, posted to early. Few more pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

These things really are in good condition. The fabric does have a few stains, I'll have to work out how to get them out. Vacuum cleaner & water did most of it!

Posted Image

Tank is in great shape!

I picked up some pontiac 15 x 7 gts style rims and got some tyres to see how well they fit. Also found some factory mudflaps and brackets. I think the 225/60/ 15 is about all I can fit if i dont want it to rub with full tank and passengers.

Posted Image

I put a UC crossmember in the hatch when I was 19. I pulled it out and put an LX one back in with the UC A arms & Steering arms. The DEcarbon shocks and springs are still good. Its got poly bushes. Doesnt look too much, but all the bolts are correct factory and it all fits & works. While I was there I pt the HQ discs on the front. I'll run the WB alloy callipers I reckon.

Posted Image

I put rust free front guards on and replaced the bumpers with very straight ones. I'll take the chrome off & paint factory Royal Plum.

Posted Image

Found a factory air clealer, had it blasted. Sits in etch.

Posted Image

Sprayed up an SL Shifter surround. Came up quite ok.

Posted Image

Borrowed a factory SS plastic front spoiler. I'm getting a fiberglass replica made.

Posted Image

The Torry is not the only project. The pannie wanders along. The engine bay after a little wiring tidy up...

Posted Image

I also got the rear seat in place...

Posted Image

#14 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,814 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Best find by far...
Posted Image

Factory original 76 ss hatch seats that have been in storage for over 25 years. They are chevron chamois, same as my car was from factory. also picked up rear side cards, hatch side panels with vents etc, full factory carpet and an original fuel tank that had been in storage for the same amount of time. If you asked me, I never would have thought it existed...a very rare interior in near perfect condition!

What is your interior code on your body id plate?

#15 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Body plates are 1918 - 60B. Chamois chevron, black carpet. I still have much of the original interior that came with the car - its mostly in very bad shape and was very worn when I got the car in '87 or 88. I've seen your picks of your LH - very nice. Hard stuff to get as you know...

#16 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Cool stuff Scott, love that you've had it for so long restoring them is definitely hard yards but worth it in the end.

#17 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Picked up a few more goodies on the weekend from Mr Mick. All very good stuff. Nice to see that these hard to find parts are reproduced with such attention to detail.

Posted ImageSway bar bushes, overflow,radio brackets, ss stripes, breather hose, window gromets.

Also picked up one of those repro v8 torana drivers side exhaust hangers. Nicely made, mind if anyone has a spare factory one....let me know. Anyone got some hatch rear armrests in chamois?

Posted Image

#18 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Torry has been in limp mode for a while now. But not forgotten.

Slowly I've been picking up some bits.

Some recentish progress includes the fitting of the HZ calipers to the stubaxles

I also picked up a tremec tko, clutch n all the bits. Should be bit different to the m21 - makes me laugh when I think about my old Aussie 4 shifter...

Pulled down a vn motor to the bare block today in preparation for a stroker motor.

I'll throw up some picks

#19 tefa

tefa

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Name:Teflon
  • Car:LX 4 Door SL

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

please

#20 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

A few pics

16288854_large.jpg

The torrie as it sits. Since the last updates ive sourced a few more panels and had them blasted. I've fitted them to see how they go.

I've also put some 205 50 15 tyres on the front Pontiac rims. They look pretty cool in black primer. The yellow guard was from Rob350 (thanks mate).

Mostly the hatch sits as a parts store. Every now and then I tinker...

16288860_large.jpg

Pulled down the VN motor this weekend. I'll use the NV block & red heads to retain the look I'm after while using the better block.

I got the die grinder onto the valley and cleaned it up. First time I've undertaken this procedure. Theres a before & after.

I guess thats the idea?

16288855_large.jpg

16288859_large.jpg

#21 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Nice work with the die grinder.

#22 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks Howard, they seem to drive themselves. I figure If I just keep away from machine surfaces all 

will be fine.

As mentioned, I was thinking of putting the M21 back in, just to get the car going. Then I thought, "waste of time", considering

I'd start to destroy it from the moment the car first moved. Sold the box & the supra that I had and got a complete Tremec conversion from Dellow.

Came with an exeddy 10.5" pressure plate & organic clutch. They said it would be fine for a mildish 383 stroker. Anyone back that up?

I chose the commodore cable clutch setup as I want to retain as close to possible look while still having reliability & functionality (not like the original

torana cable I had in it - snapped many).

I'll graft an original M21 shifter onto the tremec so I can have the original look once again 

16288857_large.jpg

#23 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Good to see you're still chipping away at it Scott - you'll get there!  B)

#24 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Jase. Looks like you have something similar in your garage. Cant be too many SS in UNZED?

#25 _j.e.d._

_j.e.d._
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Na mate, not a lot at all I don't think- that would make an interesting poll though?

Yep my car is very similar to yours - nothing like 23 odd years in waiting, but it took me about 5 years to get into a position to be able to start stripping it down with some kind of space to do it! I only just started a thread the other week that's already on the 2nd page of Members Projects cos I struggle to find the time to spend on it to update my thread - but I've started & that's the main thing. I'm hoping to get it on the rotisserie in a couple of days though!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users