rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

I put a tech-screw into the brass fitting inside the master cylinder (for rear brakes - the larger of the two threads) and pulled it out, along with the spring & plastic valve. This supposedly is required for correct functioning of the commodore rear discs.

attachicon.gifIMG_4588.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4589.jpg

Then I fitted the rebuilt brake booster and proportioning valve, along with the new engine bay brake lines.

Chip, chip, chip...

attachicon.gifIMG_4590.jpg[/quote]
You did put the brass olive back in? You need it.

#52 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

How did you go about bending the sway bar please Scott ?

#53 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hey Rexy, yep Olive back in - forgot to mention, thanks for picking that up.

Mark, I put the sway bar in my 30 tonne press and reshaped it. Came out quite ok I thought.

Glad to hear you are happy with the HCE oil pump. Ned has some strong opinions on the holden oiling system and regards this to be a fix. He also fitted oil restricting pushrods to this motor as he reckons the top end gets too much oil

#54 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Ahh progress, never as fast as one would like, at least not this one...nevertheless

Pulled out the gearbox which was in storage foe 18 months...

Attached File  IMG_5443.jpg   77.79K   8 downloads

Attached it to the donk...

Attached File  IMG_5489.jpg   65.03K   9 downloads

Put the lot on the KFrame...

Attached File  IMG_5490.jpg   71.63K   9 downloads

Lifted the front of the Torrie...

Attached File  IMG_5491.jpg   56.14K   8 downloads

And it fits....

Attached File  IMG_5492.jpg   63.26K   8 downloads

Well sort of..drivers side extractors hit on the Kframe , the sway bar and the steering cover. Shame considering they are Pacemakers and these are all factory. So up it goes again to get the extractors replaced or modified.

Good news is the TKO fits through the factory shifter hole and no cutting required.

Had a 3.5" 1350 tailshaft made up, all good there.

Attached File  IMG_5505.jpg   60.08K   10 downloads

#55 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Great thread. :)

#56 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

What is it with extractors and Toranas - they never seem to bloody fit!?

Good work, it's a big step.

#57 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

MMM - never, never, not in my case seemingly! I changed  HQ engine mounts for torana. Marginal improvement. They hit the steering cover miss the Kframe on the passenger side bi 1mm and hit the drivers. I'd say the factory sway bar would have to be lowered about 12mm to clear the drivers side extractor. This is with the Tremec up as high as it will go.

Don't know. Maybe I should measure the rubber mounts to see what the thickness is compared to others...maybe its a case of heat n bend..?

#58 _TROYMAN_

_TROYMAN_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

Who did you use to get your tailshaft done?, cost much?

attachicon.gifIMG_5505.jpg

#59 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Slowgress...tried a few things today. Put a 3mm spacer between the Kfame and the chassis to give some more space between the gearbox and the tunnel and also put a 3mm washer between the gearbox mount and the box, in order to lift it - as shown in the next photo.

Attached File  IMG_5621.jpg   42.42K   9 downloads

I cut off a small piece of the gearbox casting that was hitting the floor (its the shiniest bit of the photo).

Attached File  IMG_5620.jpg   50.17K   11 downloads

The Torana mounts appear to have made little difference compared to the HQ - I reckon its about 8mm between the sump and Kframe.

Attached File  IMG_5620.jpg   50.17K   11 downloads

All up the changes made the extractors fit a little better - but not much. With the gearbox jacked all the way up and touching the trans tunnel I have a bout 8mm clearance from the Kframe to the extractors on the passenger side - quite OK. The drivers hits on the steering cover, Kframe & would need to be lifted about 14mm to avoid the sway bar.

I've measured the rubber mounts and compared to another pair - both were 44mm from memory.

The shift comes out within the factory hole but right at the back with only a few mm to spare.

Attached File  IMG_5618.jpg   40.58K   8 downloads

If anyones got some sage wisdom, now would be a great  time!

Still looking for a LX bonnet with a hole (can't cut up a freshie!!).

Attached Files

#60 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

Who did you use to get your tailshaft done?, cost much?

attachicon.gifIMG_5505.jpg

Twas Gibson Driveshafts in Newcastle. Real good to deal with. Don't know how cheap they are. I supplied the slip Yoke and a uni but was still nearly $600 from memory. Cheers

#61 _kayesem_

_kayesem_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:37 AM

Read somewhere else on a forum regarding front end; to pull it towards the front of the car as much as possible before doing up the crossmember bolts. I think it was a Commodore thread regarding dropping / re-installing the motor and box via lifting / dropping the body, but might still apply to give a little more front to rear clearance for the shifter & cutout situation.

Beyond that I'm under the impression that Tremec TKOs have multiple shifter locations and you could swap that one out for one more centred and towards the front on the base plate. Other members who have run TKOs would have a better idea, as would Dellow and Mal Wood.

Looks tough so far anyway : )

#62 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

Sorry for the late reply Bal. Yeah the tremec has multiple shifter location, mines as close as its gonna get. I've tinkered with the Kframe location - all a bit tricky really.

Torana is off to exhaust shop tomorrow to get the extractors moded - and a full exhaust.

Wasn't able to get a bonnet that suited (thanks to those that offered), so took to one of the sparies with assorted cutting implements. Came up ok.

Attached File  IMG_5657.jpg   58.48K   8 downloads

Fitted up some Au thermos to an older HQ 3 core radiator I had, they came up OK too.

Attached File  IMG_5658.jpg   63.76K   8 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5659.jpg   62.96K   9 downloads

#63 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

The hatch left the shed for the first time in six years the other day. Went for a trip to the exhaust shop to get the extractors looked at & a full system.

Attached File  IMG_5662.jpg   67.6K   7 downloads

Upon inspection it was decided to try a set of Hurricane headers as they manufacture and fit so they were pretty confident they would work - just a little smaller in the primaries than the Pacemakers (1 5/8" vs 1 3/4") however they have a flange and a 2.5" collector whereas the Pacemaker is a real old design for the 308 head with no flange and a 2" collector.

I went into the shop today and we dropped the engine. Upshot is the Hurricanes fit well and the Torana will be home next week. To be fired-up shortly

#64 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

I got some stainless 3/8 tube & had a new fuel pickup bent for the standard tank. New stainer, all souldered up. Voila! Also put new 3/8 stainless fuel line from front to back. Theres a before & after - looks pretty similar i think.

Attached File  IMG_4672.jpg   50.97K   7 downloads

Attached File  IMG_4529.jpg   211.68K   7 downloads

#65 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:58 PM

Cant believe I saw this hatch in person and didn't even no it,

had to stop in at craigs, and there it was up on his hoist with half the exhaust done,

looks good mate, only had a small sticky beak,

#66 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yeah Danny, thats the one. Half of Taree should have seen it - was there for 5 weeks. Done a bit of work on it since then, so its getting close to fire up and drive. Then the process of pulling it apart for body work and plating nuts, bolts etc

At least it will go back together more easily second time around!

#67 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

cant rush these things haha, although he only had my ute for a day and he got the exhaust done :/

second time is always easyer :)

#68 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

Have you sorted out the driveline angles yet? I found with the TKO600 dropping it down to avoid cutting the tunnel put everything on such an angle that the headers fouled as you've described. Bringing it up through the floor fixes the header problem (they weren't an issue with the Muncie before) and offers closer to correct driveline angle (it still could go higher but that causes console problems as well as needing more cutting).

#69 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

How far off the floorpan is the yoke? Or the centre of the output shaft? 

Does anyone have the measurement of the distance between the standard M20/Trimatic output shaft from the floorpan?

#70 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

If I remember right with the Aussie depress/Trimatic height from the floor pan (same length), they were about 35-40 mm from the top of the tunnel with standard V8 Tailshaft. With the TKO 600, its 3 inches longer so with the 3 degrees angle you will have to lift it up a little more. Better just get your angles correct.

#71 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

Better just get your angles correct.

Definitely.

And not to say that this can't be done with the box in a lower position, just that it didn't work out for me. It doesn't need to be the same as factory (although that's a good starting point), but everything does have to work together. I built in nearly 5 degrees to the cross member mounting area so the mount sits flat (i.e. the output shaft is nearly 5 degrees off the chassis rails, assuming the mount area on the gearbox housing is parallel to the output). With the lower HQ engine mounts.

If memory serves I measured somewhere around 60mm from centre of output shaft to the reinforced section of the tunnel before removing the Muncie, the TKO ended up a bit lower even with cutting the tunnel.

#72 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

Don't really know if the angles are correct and I'm not too sure how to find out, except to drive it and see if there were any vibrations.

I have a vague plan of adding adjustable upper trailing arms if there is a problem...

I've the Tremec to within  a few mm of the trans tunnel, can't go any higher without cutting or heating and stretching. I'm not keen to modify the tunnel.

I have torana mounts in at present but they made very little difference compared to the HQ mounts. In the end a set of Hurricane headers made all  the difference compared to the Pacemakers which drop down unnecessarily low on the drivers side (every pair of pacemaker tri-y to early head i've fitted were the same).

I suppose a compas on the face of the diff yoke and the gearbox input shaft face may also give me an indication of angles...?

#73 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

Go to Bunnings and get one of the plastic mechanical right angle gauges, about $20 I think. Sit it on top of the motor, not carbie as the manifold will have a raised back to level out the engine. Most Holden drive line angles are around 3 degrees, take a measure from the engine and the diff, should be within 1 degrees for best alignment for no vibration (Mark Williams recommends this).

#74 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:11 PM

Sorry, but could you show a photo of what this gauge looks like?

#75 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:28 AM

76f26e66-e57b-4f3c-b7fd-81428f1caeb3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users