replacement 186N, NK, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and 7000 XU-1 engines

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hello all,
I will attempt to explain the replacement engines that Holden made, and I may have things a little wrong, but at least I am having a go!

It is my understanding that the most likely situation was that before 1970 if a replacement engine was required that it was a parts build up as complete 186 engines were not available.

Block and piston sets I believe being non model specific would have had no Identification stamping prefix or number, and either the old number was transferred or a police number was used.

Short motors would be a different thing as cams and differences in bearings and later cranks meant that these would require identification.

In 1970 186 replacement short engines from Nasco for HR, and HK ( and some others ) may have shared the 186N 1001S to 186N 2001S Identification.

By 1971 the N series replacement XU-1 short motors started so these started off NK1001

in 1972 this N series numbering continued on from 1971 but now was NP 2000 to NP 3000 & in the following year the NP 7000R became available as well.

Then by 1973 the number had climbed to over NP 4000
But as an exception to the rule a new NP series was started in tandem to the above numbers but starting from 7000
or 7001 this being NP7001R for especially built race engines designed as special built race prepared XU-1's
and their replacements, which could be optioned with the big 55/ 90 cam if especially ordered, but this cam was not available in a normal production XU-1 unless you had friends in high places.

1974 is the latest dates I have for replacement engines for the performance Holden 6 I would be interested if anyone has late date information here?

In 1974 NP numbers were NP5000 and the race NP7000R and the last of these seems to be August 1974 the only other thing of note was that new engine moulds were used at this time and some ( not all ) blocks had the three verticle ribs behind the oil filter I do not know if this was for strength or for identification purposes.
This block change like most Holden mould changes was introduced in a stages process, probably as old moulds wore out or were damaged, so this meant that the earlier block designs were not completely phased out until 1976.

Please if anyone has anything to add to this or would PM me to protect your information.

Mike

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

so the R stands for Racing ? where did you get that information from, I thought it meant restamp ?

#3 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

R does mean repeat. However there seems to be a fair few replacement XU-1 engines with a R on the end, so the R remains a mystery.

Mike the first N series engine you quote is impossible ie NK1001. The very first of this series will have been ND, NL, NR, NT prefixed eg ND1001. The Nasco N prefixes started at the start of HQ engine production.

#4 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

R does mean repeat. However there seems to be a fair few replacement XU-1 engines with a R on the end, so the R remains a mystery.

Mike the first N series engine you quote is impossible ie NK1001. The very first of this series will have been ND, NL, NR, NT prefixed eg ND1001. The Nasco N prefixes started at the start of HQ engine production.

So are you saying that ND ( 173 from 1971 ), NR ( 253 from 1971 ), NT ( 308 from 1971 ) predate the replacement CK XU-1 engine from 1971? one of these had to be first, which one? ( they didn't all start with 1001 )

The R at the end of the engine number was comfirmed by Peter Brock himself as being for Race engines and this accompanies the NP7000 numbered engines.
At that time he also confirmed that the NP7000R engine was in a very original race prepared XU-1.

It could be at a different point in time the R meant something different, but when associated with the 7000 number it means race engine.

An example of abreviations being reused is the NP at the end of part numbers for the 1971 LC XU-1 and the HQ 1971 parts books, at that time it meant that that part was not previously available.
NP then became the prefix for replacement engines, unless I have missed something.

Replacement 186 engines were still available in 1972 but with changes to fit in with the 202 machining specifications.

Mike

Edited by Mike73, 23 September 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

An example of abreviations being reused is the NP at the end of part numbers for the 1971 LC XU-1 and the HQ 1971 parts books, at that time it meant that that part was not previously available.
NP then became the prefix for replacement engines, unless I have missed something.

Replacement 186 engines were still available in 1972 but with changes to fit in with the 202 machining specifications.

Mike

The abbreviation N.P used after a part number simply means New Part and is totally unrelated to the NP prefix on the 202 XU1 replacement block. N = Nasco, P = XU1 202.

#6 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

As above for NP.

The Nasco replacement engine number sequence you are talking about started at HQ engine release. This was around May 1971. The first engine Nx1001 could have been anything that was used in HQ, LC or HG at the time but one thing it COULDN'T have been was NK as these were not in use as CK engines until later in 1971. Between HQ engine release and NK engines the replacement XU-1 engine would have been 3100N prefixed.

#7 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi Yel327,

I have been trying to work out of what the R means,i have been doing a lot of reasearch,and another friend told me that the NP means Non Production,but who knows,i have one of these NP blocks with the R stamped,its been in the car since 1973.

Cheers John.

#8 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

The R at the end of the engine number was comfirmed by Peter Brock himself as being for Race engines and this accompanies the NP7000 numbered enginesBwahahahahahahahahahaha roflmao

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Hi Yel327,

I have been trying to work out of what the R means,i have been doing a lot of reasearch,and another friend told me that the NP means Non Production,but who knows,i have one of these NP blocks with the R stamped,its been in the car since 1973.

Cheers John.

NP is easy. N is Nasco. P means the same as it does on a JP block.

Normally the R means the number has been stamped already. Example on red engines, if an engine got the number QL123456 and the hungover bloke on acid stamping them went to stamp the next engine and stamped QT123456 instead of QT123457 then it would get a handstamped R at the end so QT123456R. In these cases R means repeat. If he did it again it would get R1 the R2 etc. This alos applies to chassis numbers, I have a HZ Sandman ute recorded with a chassis number like BHZ12345AR. This is all well documented in GMH material. HOWEVER the ones i'm not sure about are the XU-1 replacement engines with a R on the end, there seems to be an awful lot of them. Normally I'd say as the Nasco numbers were low volume I can undestand the mistakes, but there seems to be a lot of them. I seriosuly doubt the R on the end means RACE, reason is GMH wouldn't have used the same process for 2 x different meanings.

#10 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hi Yel327,

Thank you for your input and help.

Cheers John.

#11 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

As above for NP.

The Nasco replacement engine number sequence you are talking about started at HQ engine release. This was around May 1971. The first engine Nx1001 could have been anything that was used in HQ, LC or HG at the time but one thing it COULDN'T have been was NK as these were not in use as CK engines until later in 1971. Between HQ engine release and NK engines the replacement XU-1 engine would have been 3100N prefixed.

Thank you for that, this of course is explained on GMH service letter 141 dated 19th August 1971

This states that the CK was started on the HQ release which was July 1971 and goes further to state that C stands for LC and K stands for 186.
I have information on a Aug 71 NK so are you saying that this for a HG replacement because you then go on to say that NK didn't start till late 1971 when it became a XU-1 replacement? making the NK1000 number out of sequence?

You also say that the same letters cannot stand for two things and yet you agree that NP first stood for New Part at the release of the HQ, then changed meaning and became the XU-1 replacement prefix?

Then you say that R like on a 161 I have here means repeat and cannot possibly have a changed meaning when associated with a NP 7000 replacement block?

Mike

#12 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Enjoy.

Posted Image

#13 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

As above for NP.

Thank you for that, this of course is explained on GMH service letter 141 dated 19th August 1971

This states that the CK was started on the HQ release which was July 1971 and goes further to state that C stands for LC and K stands for 186.
I have information on a Aug 71 NK so are you saying that this for a HG replacement because you then go on to say that NK didn't start till late 1971 when it became a XU-1 replacement? making the NK1000 number out of sequence?

You also say that the same letters cannot stand for two things and yet you agree that NP first stood for New Part at the release of the HQ, then changed meaning and became the XU-1 replacement prefix?

Then you say that R like on a 161 I have here means repeat and cannot possibly have a changed meaning when associated with a NP 7000 replacement block?

Mike

As far as I am aware the LC XU-1�s with CK prefixed engines weren�t around until August 1971. HQ engine series started way back in around March or April 1971 with many vehicles on the road by July 1971. So the first Nasco number in the HQ Nasco sequence (started at Nx1001) would more than likely have been for a HQ engine (ND, NE, NL, NM, NR, NS or NT) built ready for warranty issues associated with the new HQ series OR possibly (but much less likely) for a HG (ND, NE, NL, NM) or LC (NB, NC, ND, NE, NF). If you look at the LC service/warranty records you can see that LC�s didn�t start to get the HQ sequence engines until many thousands of numbers into that HQ engine number sequence (from memory they were around the 7000 mark), this is most likely explained by stockpiles of original LC sequence numbered engines being used up first. HG commercials built post HQ engine release are probably the same ie stocks of 161 and 186 used up first before 173 and 202 fitted.

There would never have been any Nasco engine numbered like NK1000. They always started at 1001. NK was always the replacement engine for the last of the LC XU-1�s, never used for anything else. I�m not sure if NK would have also become the replacement engine for original 3100X engines for the short time NK replacement engines were available or an original LC replacement 3100N would have been supplied. I have seen paperwork that shows what were recommended replacement engines for the older displacements (obviously once 161 and 186 replacement engines were all gone), and JP is specified as what you�d put in an LC XU-1.

N.P. is an abbreviation used in parts catalogues, has no relevance to engines. N.P is not the same as NP by any means. And they are in totally different areas of GMH. We are talking here about engine numbers. Along with chassis numbers, engine numbers were highly regulated. So whilst I didn�t say �cannot� with regards to R (I actually said �I seriously doubt�) I still believe it would be highly unlikely GMH would have a process where it was possible for an engine number to be repeated. If the R at the end does mean race I find it hard to believe GMH put it there intending it to be part of the engine number, and in that case it was possibly added after the engine left Nasco. If it was put there by Nasco logic says it�d basically have to mean repeat and it�d be in the same font as the engine stamps (the R used on 253 engines). The ones I have seen have the R away from the number like the one Kockum has put up above and sometimes it appears to be a different font, or a font not quite the same as the engine number. Which again makes one wonder what the hell it means!

I also doubt very much that Nasco assigned special numbers inside their own engine number sequence. If an engine is stamped NP7xxx it should be that way because the sequence had reached that number when the engines were stamped. I don�t have figures with me right now but from memory the Nasco HQ sequence had reached 7000 by the mid 1970�s which was well and truly in the ballpark for a late LJ XU-1 to be getting a replacement engine. Some LJ XU-1�s were sold into 1974 so in early 1975 some of these would still be under new car warranty. The fact the cast date may predate the 7000 series numbers just means the blocks were around for a while before being made into an engine and given a number.

The only other thing that springs to mind is if the R at the end of these engines has some �race� significance then it would be on the Nasco replacement engines built for the 150 x 1973 �Bathurst cars�. These engines were different to all other engines not listed on that bulletin and the purpose of that letter was to let servicing dealers know that they are different. So possibly an R was used to signify these engines as different from a spare parts perspective? And that is why it is away from the engine number?

Remember some of this is speculation, some is fact. The trouble with a lot of this historical stuff is it is often logical once you know the answer. Prior to that you'd never guess. Along that line I think I may have accidentally stumbled across one of the V8 LJ Toranas hiding in plain sight whilst looking for something else. With 20/20 hindsight logic tells me it should have been obvious.....

#14 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Is that np7100r from tonys2r gtr? I have anpther pic on photobucket of a np for sale on this forum, but buggered if i can find it.... Had a questionable, by me, mark next to the N....

#15 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

V8 LJ TORANA,tell us about it,

or is this a secret,if so i,ll talk to you later.

#16 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

Skapinad , NP 7100 was sold on EBAY . Seller was from A.C.T .

The NP you had some concerns about was sold on this site .

NP 4246 - page 49 in the for sale section .

#17 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

now you can compare both
both to me have seen a machine shop

Edited by meanmachine72, 28 September 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#18 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,075 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hmmm. That block very much looks like it has had something under it and has been machined off. Once it had paint it'd probably disappear. Numbers do look like they have had different amounts of force stamped like they have been stamped individually rather than by a single operation eg air punch.

#19 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Yep looks like an old QL numbered block,you can see the top part of what may have been a Q.

#20 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

<br />Skapinad , NP 7100 was sold on EBAY . Seller was from A.C.T .<br /><br />The NP you had some concerns about was sold on this site . <br /><br />NP 4246 - page 49 in the for sale section .<br />

<br /><br /><br />
Thanks, mind linking that thread, i cannot find it...

#21 TheKing

TheKing

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name:Jeff
  • Car:A couple of Holdens

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

NP7100R is my engine and definitely has not seen a machine shop. It's a replacement block for a Bathurst engine.

Cheers Jeff

#22 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image

now you can compare both

how bodgey is that,

you can see a ridge before the corner at back of block.

and part of the old number

the width of the machine surface near engine mounts is always a easy give away,when they have been done real good.

#23 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image

now you can compare both

how bodgey is that,

you can see a ridge before the corner at back of block.

and part of the old number

the width of the machine surface near engine mounts is always a easy give away,when they have been done real good.

Funny you say that Craig,about the pad heights.I have wondered this for quite a while,(WHAT IS DEEMED TO LOW).Last Christmas I had a big shed clean up after finishing my resto and had the blocks that I have all spread out over the back yard,there was 2 186s and 3 202s nothing special about any of them.The 202s were all QL prefix and the 186s were 186P prefix.The pad heights were all over the place,some were high and some were low and they all looked factory stamping.
I have also taken notice at a few car shows at various Engine numbers and the same,there all over the place.
So What is deemed to low???
Sorry to change subject of thread.
cheers Dane

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 28 September 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

I think the pad height is a fair question.

#25 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

As above for NP.

Hello again,
So if I have this right then you are saying that the Holden Service letter advising that NK engines were available fron the release of the HQ in July 1971, is wrong?

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users