- - - - -

FRANKENSTEIN

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#51 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

Mmm, struts, not as good for fast cornering as double wishbones. Set and forget, cause it's not gonna do you much good in the corners.

#52 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

What it looses in the front it will gain in the rear....................compared to a taxi. :tomaatit:

#53 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

very interesting Rob, I'm watching this one. Pretty cool!

#54 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Re all the guys hating this, well i recon my VS handles pretty damb well for what it is with totally stock flogged out suspension, i would be very interested to see how it felt if it went on a diet and lost 300kg....which is basically whats happening here.

Should be a treat Brodo.

Cheers.

#55 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

Big job to do if the ultimate handling is the goal rather than just novelty value.

Great to see an innovative project.

Rationalisation depends on your usage (track/street), but for the street IMO there is not too much advantage for all the cost/drama's. For track use (like this one) its another matter. The reality is that the Toranas suspension/geometry is extremely poor even when using the best setup.

Reality check is that doing a frankenstein the results can go either way.

Getting the geometry and balance between the new front and new rear will make it either a big success or absolute nightmare.

Be watching to see how it works out.

#56 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Brodomo is smarter than the average bear.....I have faith.

Cheers.

#57 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

i like it. keen to see how it all goes. love seeing projects thats out side the norm..........

#58 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

I owned a VR with irs, could not fault going around corners only chewing out inside rear tyres (no burnouts).
Should be a mad track torodore when your finished.

#59 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Sweeet, i can't wait to see this thing progress. Its a great use for two shit cars

*runs and hides*

But seriously, i just love watching these projects. It reminds me of the silvia/morris (i think) conversion someone did. Cut the silvia body off the floor, replace with morris body. Instant handling old car with 1000's of bolt on parts available. Pitty it could never be rego'ed, or id do something very similar ;).

#60 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

Thanks yoose blokes for your comments. I appreciate them all. :)

A couple of things to consider?
I bought the rolling VQ shell with hang on's for $195.
I don't think I could have bought a rolling rust free Torana front cut for that? :dontknow:

I've also done a bit of research re strut V double wishbone.
1979 A9X Bathurst qualifying was 1 second quicker than 1980 VB Commodore with struts.
Not bad over a 6k circuit and the VB wasn't IRS.
If my memory is correct, HDT struggeled initially with the strut front end as they had no reference.
The european shells weren't running V8's.
Surely the increase in track front and rear will be a bonus too?
Having said all that, I'm happy :)

This is where it was up to last night but too late for good pics.
While the front was up on it's nose, I trimmed the floor pan to suit the Torana sills.
I'd left about 25mm of the Torana pan in along the sills.
I then notched out "V"s at the base of the Torana firewall and slid the whole assy in.
The firewalls are getting closer to each other and some more trimming is happening.
Tonight I drilled out a squillion spot welds of the sides of the Commy strut tower braces...................LH removed, RH tomorrow night then hopefully more pics.

Attached Files

#61 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

Love it!

#62 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:25 PM

VX on have an extra adjustment on the IRS to help with alignment issues.

#63 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:13 AM

I was curious about the track change so I looked it up, not as big a difference in the factory specs as I would have thought (given the different offset wheels), would have to be similar to a flared Torana with wide wheels anyway (especially with the narrow front end on the pre-VR Commodores). Got to be enough of an increase to be noticeable, but the main improvement has to be the improved roll centres.

If you didn't have a Torana front end to put in it then the Commodore conversion is logical, and at least you know it all works together and is nothing completely untested. A coilover conversion is suddenly very easy too!

Although as pointed out the IRS isn't exactly an ideal system its gotta be some way ahead of the factory Torana rear end. I don't think the alignment would be as much of an issue here as it is with a Commodore because you'll be able to install it at the correct height to begin with (no camber correction required) and I'd imagine there will be a little less suspension travel to induce dynamic changes in the Torana too.

You've obviously done your homework with the cutting, its cool how well everything seems to match up.

Disclaimer: all of this is just my opinion and you know what that's worth! Whatever way you look at it the handling has to come out pretty reasonable, and its a cool project.

#64 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

You've obviously done your homework with the cutting, its cool how well everything seems to match up.

Gonna take alot of mig wire to fill that gap in the firewall tho.

#65 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm interested in finding out what Rob intends to do to improve the rear geometry. I've been aligning I.R.S. Commodores for nearly 20 years now. Unless they have the outback pack, most of them have 1.5-2.0 degrees negative camber and a couple of mm toe out. Lower them and it just gets worse. Even those Commodores that have aftermarket rear suspension camber and/or toe adjusters still chop out the inside edges of the tyres VERY quickly. Even the ones we could get to within factory specs.

My advice is to set the springs, shocks, sway bar and ride height as he sees fits and to turn they tyres on the rims after each meet to minimise tyre damage. Turning the tyres means to flip the tyre on the rim so the inside egde is mounted to the outside for those who were about to ask.

#66 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yeah but he doesn't have to lower it (in terms of bringing the wheels upward in relation to the diff) - he can install the diff at the desired height, giving the best possible alignment

#67 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Based on the images in the OP, it's way too bloody low to get decent tyre wear.

#68 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

Given that you clearly have far more knowledge than I do to even attempt this, would it not have been easier to graft on the suspension points rather than the whole front and back end?

Installing some suspension points and setting them to get the geometry where you want might have been easier wouldnt it?

Please don't take this as a criticism. It is certainly not meant that way. I have thought about grafting front commodore struts onto a torana to get a better system, but think it is too ambitious for me to attempt.

cheers
Glenn

#69 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

^ Interesting question but I think given the lack of backbone structure in both vehicles being more monocoque than chassis constructed, it would be best (and easiest) to cut and shut. The Skyline IRS conversion that brett32i (I think?) did is an interesting contrast as that used more of the original car, but rodomo told us he doesn't have that in the front end anyway! In the rear end the cut and shut allows you to place the suspension better (the floor pan and existing rails would have been well and truly in the way).

Based on the images in the OP, it's way too bloody low to get decent tyre wear.

Good point, I just assumed (hehe that word) that was just sitting there not actually close to final position. I would certainly be attempting to lift that floor higher so it all sits right.

#70 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Given that you clearly have far more knowledge than I do to even attempt this, would it not have been easier to graft on the suspension points rather than the whole front and back end?

Installing some suspension points and setting them to get the geometry where you want might have been easier wouldnt it?

Please don't take this as a criticism. It is certainly not meant that way. I have thought about grafting front commodore struts onto a torana to get a better system, but think it is too ambitious for me to attempt.

cheers
Glenn

Given the height difference in the hump in the floor pan where the diff goes, I doubt it. Without measuring it, I would think the Commodore I.R.S. mounts would've been welded to thin air in the back of the UC. And as for improving the geometry, using a different I.R.S. is the only practicable way to achieve that. But that would greatly increase the cost of the project. Which I think would defeat the main purpose of the car.

#71 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Go Rodomo, I like this great to see someone given it a go and something so different. fail or success I like the ideas and while I have never met the man, I would like to one day, years of planning and a bit of can do, I think there is a good chance this could work and look forward to seeing it progress, I will save any criticizem for his lack of progress on his LJ

#72 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

HUGE testicles. to atempt a project like that!:buttrock:

#73 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Well the UC shell cost him nothing and the VQ cost him SFA, so why not?

#74 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

I look at it this way Chop, the guy having a go no matter how out there, crazy, is still doing more then the guy sitting on his arse picking fault with the project, and hey every now and a again some crazy bugger does something really clever and changes the world, two bicycle mechanics built an aeroplane in their shed before almost anyone else

So go the crazy bugger, go RodomoPosted Image

#75 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

turn they tyres on the rims after each meet to minimise tyre damage. Turning the tyres means to flip the tyre on the rim so the inside egde is mounted to the outside for those who were about to ask.

I'd have to swap them left to right on the rims as they are directional.
1-2 degrees neg. camber is what I'm aiming for on the rear and 0-1mm toe in. Front will run 3-4 degrees neg.
It's not a road car.
I haven't looked too hard at it but if I have to move the rear arm mounts, I will.
I should be able to measure/adjust this on the floor before the rear assy. is welded into the shell, at the moment the shell is just sitting on it.

Not much to report and no worthy pics tonight.
Trim, trim, trim, measure measure but the firewalls are getting closer together.
I have to start using my brayn now and work out which part of which firewall stays and which goes. :fool:
The brake booster holes line up so that's a bonus, the steering shaft might be a challenge? :dontknow:

Edited by rodomo, 04 October 2011 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users