LH/LX steering Coumn plug help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _CHEV_

_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi guys,

I am wiring up an LH / LX with a universal ez painless kit and am having some troubles... the original plug is going to have to be used as the kit plug is different...

Can anyone help as to which pin goes to where or what please! ?

I have done some searches and can't find any exact info...

Can you wise gents help a newbie trying on their own?

Posted Image

#2 _CHEV_

_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

I know the bottom far right is the trigger wire for the starter... the rest because of the many modifications to my old harness is a mystery!

And the wiring diagrams from the book dont show which exact one goes were!

Thanks in advance...

#3 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

No, the top one is the trigger for the starter (the bottom right may work for a while but not meant for that). Give this a go:
Posted Image

From the GMH LH Torana diagram:
Yellow - coil (cranking only)
Pink - one is ignition feed to fuse panel and one is ignition feed to coil (this is the resistance wire, its written on the insulation)
Brown - accessory feed to fuse panel
Red - main power feed, goes to plug on headlight switch, then to plug on fuse panel, then to engine harness connector... (basically they all get the same feed)
Violet - starter crank, via neutral safety switch for automatic
Green - according to the diagram this should have two wires attached, one goes to the temp sender and the other to the temp warning light

According to the GMH HQ diagram the green wire goes to G1 at top left of your photo which makes sense; I think this wire skips the ignition switch on models with a temp gauge rather than just a warning light.

The other separate wire doesn't feature in any of my wiring diagrams so perhaps it doesn't belong there.

For reference these colours and positions are the same right through to at least VK Commodore (same ignition switch)

edit: and for clarity the pin to the left of the red wire is definitely unused

Edited by 76lxhatch, 04 October 2011 - 02:06 PM.

#4 _CHEV_

_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

Fantastic mate - thank you...

I am using a completely new custom painless kit so I will have to marry it into this plug... I won''t need the green wires as I have a full autometre custom dash.

I will give these a go and see where we can get to without any hiccups!

My wiring plug looks exactly the same as yours execpt for the red wire
My red wire is actually in the section you claim should be empty! Im guessing they are the same :dontknow:

Thankyou again though - I just need to work out which harness wire will be the direct fue box feed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users