• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hey peoples :)
Well, buggered if I know what to do! Here is the story:
I am in the process of getting a 383 stroker built for my 4 door LX. The vehicle is a weekend cruiser - with no track work/drags etc (except for powercruise once a year). I am not a real harsh person on the driveline - I believe thats what bush-bashers are for ;) The engine is going to have bucket loads of tourqe.. but I will be quite easy on the clutch.

The engine is getting built at the moment, so I am now in the process of finding out which diff to uprgrade too. I have been looking at some old threads, and have found that falcon, commodore and skyline B/W diff's are all quite common conversions (falcons are less common I believe).

Due to the costly engine build - most of my savings are going fairly quick, so I at this stage I cannot afford to spend mega dollars on getting a diff converted (including a 9"). Luckily, one of my good mates is a fitter/welder in a engineering shop.. and he is looking after the bracketry side of things. I also believe that because it will take me quite a while to run the engine in (therefore driving it quite easy).. I can be saving up for a 9" down the track. I only drive the vehicle once every few weeks.

So my questions are:
1: I will be running a 4 speed manual box, so I'm guessing I will be needing a diff ratio of around 308 - so I can make the most of the tourqe that the engine will have (plus better for highway cruising). Do you agree?
2: Are skyline diffs the easiest/cheapest conversion as they don't need shortening? However it appears that they don't come in a ratio that I will be after. Also, it appears as though getting blank rotors are becoming an issue?
3: I have access to heaps of falcon B/W diffs.. are these much weaker than commodore and skyline diffs.. and will the falcon housings need shortening?
4: Commodore diffs need shortening (VN onwards).. thus making the process quite expensive. I know where there is a standard VN housing and axles sitting for a cheap price though.

Could some of you guys please help me out with some advise on which way to go?? Would be greatfully appreciated :)

Thanks heaps..

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

All the diffs you mentioned above run a BW78 center. So gear ratio's are interchangeable.

Your best bet will be get a skyline diff, as there about the right width, and get a 3.08 gearset out of a commy or falcon (my VS V6 auto is 3.08 if thats of any help, might help narrow the search) and fit it to the diff.....

Cheers.

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

FYI falcon does not run 3.08 and Commodore V6 and V8 3.08 gear sets are different, V8 are shot peened OEM for strength.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

But V6 and V8 both bolt up right????

Agreed V8 ones would be better.

Didnt realize Falcon never ran a 3.08, surely they ran something in the low 3's that would be comparable???

Cheers.

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

Fraud run 3.07 i believe :P

holden 3.08 are same diff/gears just shot peened for H/D use.

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

Yes, 3.07 is so different bahahahah.

Handy info though.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 03 October 2011 - 11:01 PM.

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:59 AM

If your mate can convert whatever then they're all much the same diff as mentioned. The later Falcon 4 spider ones use a 7.8 inch crownwheel and larger rear pinion bearing so the gearsets aren't interchangeable with the Commodore and Skyline 7.5 inch crownwheel versions without machining the housing to increase the pinion depth (the centre is identical and there is space in the housing for the larger crownwheel).

Housing probably makes little difference but its nice not to have to shorten axles so Skyline is handy in that respect. However they are still a little wider than standard (20mm) and the down side is that you need to weld and re-drill the flanges to change the four stud pattern to something useful. The Falcon obviously has Ford stud pattern on the axles but that is possibly useable, and they have 1/2" studs.

I am a little hazy on the Ford options but as far as I know there is no such thing as a 3.07 in these Borg Warners (3.07 superseded 3.08 in the change to M80 VT2 onward) - Falcons had 2.92 and 3.23. Some common ratio options (not a complete list):

2.92 - Falcon
3.08 - standard option on Commodores of all types from VN-VS, readily available for next to nothing
3.23 - VK 1/2 injected six, Falcon, Valiant
3.45 - VL Commodore, XR6 (with bigger crownwheel)
3.7 - manual Skyline
3.89 - auto Skyline, manual Pintara (noisy old version, superseded by 3.91)
3.91 - auto Skyline, manual Pintara
4.11 - auto Pintara

Commodores up to VL (except some V8s and VL Turbo), Falcons up to XF, Valiants and the Pintaras only have two spider 25 spline centres and axles but everything else still interchanges.

The Skyline disc brakes are a nice compact unit with less offset and integrated hand brake in the caliper, although slightly smaller diameter rotor than the Commodore ones. The Skyline and Commodore housing end flanges are the same but on different angles. The XR6 Falcon one I have (EF-EL I think?) has a different flange on the housing with similar sized disc brakes to a Commodore (and similar calipers again with integrated hand brake) but a stupid big alloy caliper bracket.

If you're looking for an LSD centre then the Ford ones seem to be let go the cheapest and are also the newest so not a bad bet (Commodore ones are few and far between in that era).

#8 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

Thanks heaps for all the info people's :) at this stage, it's seems as though I should be chasing a skyline housing, and then what centre should I be looking for (to keep the ratio in the low 3's). I have a 10 bolt Holden 3.08 complete diff at home, could that be of some help? Thanks :)

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

The Salisbury gear is of no use to interchange with the Borg Warner stuff. If you can find a good Skyline housing and 28 spline axles (the Pintara only had 25 spline) then you can get a good centre and 3.08 gears for bugger all from any old VN-VS Commodore. If you want an LSD that will be the hardest part to track down a good one at a reasonable price.

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

I'm trying to offload a VN B/W diff with 3.08:1 open centre. Can dis-assemble and freight to Tas if interested.

#11 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks again pal.. Things are looking good, I have found a R31 skyline housing, and I have also found a centre from a VN berlino. Just confirming - i modify the R31 housing to suit the Torana, get the VN centre installed, bolt in and play? :) should I try to get the commodore tailshaft too? :) thanks again

Thanks chopper, will keep that in mind!

#12 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

Yes that's right, plus get the stud pattern changed on the R31 axles (this is the expensive part) (or get custom axles)

The Commodore driveshaft flange would be useful if you don't have one, the Commodore shafts are quite small diameter so the yoke itself won't be much use but any yoke that takes a standard 1 1/16" cup uni will attach to the flange.

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I have the flange on the end of the pinion on my VN B/W diff.

Just in case...

#14 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thanks again :) I will be picking up the VN diff centre (which is in a housing) very soon.. its out of an auto berlina, are they all 3.08.. or is there an easy way of ID'ing the ratio without pulling the cover off and counting the teeth/rotations etc? Just want to make sure I am getting the correct ratio!

I just called the local machine shop.. they qouted $200 to weld up the existing ford stud pattern and then drill the new torana holes. Not to bad.. looks like this conversion will be quite cheap :) :)

#15 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

They're pretty much all 3.08, that was the only ratio that came as standard. You can always count the turns without pulling anything apart.

That's a pretty reasonable price too

#16 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Thanks again :)

#17 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Looks like I'm still stuck with the diff then.

#18 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

Fraud run 3.07 i believe :P

holden 3.08 are same diff/gears just shot peened for H/D use.

some ea's ran a 3.08 from memory
though most where 2.92's or 3.23's

#19 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Good news... I picked up the R31 diff on the weekend, and my mate is swapping all the bracketry over tomorrow night :) The R31 diff didn't come with rotors or calipers though.. do I have to find R31 calipers - or do others fit (eg: Pintara, R32 etc). And finally, there seemed to be lots of discussion on the "sticky" thread about which rotors to use, as they no longer make blank rotors?? Just wondering what I should do... can I get blank rotors that will fit, or do I need to source/buy R31 rotors?? thanks heaps :)

#20 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

R31 brakes fit R31's ... Skyline and Pintara the same

I haven't tried to use the Commodore backing plates onto an R31 diff yet so can't say for sure thats a bolt in
But whatever brakes you choose make sure you get the right axle bearings to suit that configuration

And R31 rotors are 4 stud as the axles... so if your changing to 5 stud and use the R31 brakes... redrill

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

The Commodore brackets would definitely bolt on to the axle tubes but they would be on an odd angle (so clearance may be an issue) but the main problem is I don't think the R31 axle flange has the correct offset for the Commodore brakes. Rory didn't have any hassle re-drilling/slotting the four stud rotors, no need to fill the existing holes or anything.

#22 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

Many thanks :)

#23 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

Well I have picked up another complete housing and centre - which I will use the callipers off :) (and keep the axles for spares!!). The housing is away as we speak getting the brackets swapped over.. and I have ordered new rotors and pads.

Question time please.. I read in the sticky thread about modifying the proportioning valve, and removing the residual pressure valve. Can someone please advise me exactly what I need to do in order to do this? Thanks heaps :)

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

I thought the sticky was fairly clear?

#25 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

I agree.. although I have never pulled apart the pressure valve before - therefore I am not 100% sure I know what i'm doing!

In the sticky it says: "one to remove is the brass olive in the big hole on the master cylinder".

And also in the sticky it says "We all agree on removing the residual valve from the master cylinder also".

So.. do I need to totally pull the guts out of the pressure valve, and then also try and find this brass olive - and remove that too?

Thanks heaps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users