Just a Mini Little Job

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've got a couple of jobs from a mate of a mate...

This is the first one:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It has a small amount of rust in the lower sill:

Posted Image

So I cut it out:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will replace it in 2 sections as the owner wants to keep the seam as per factory.

The progress is slow as I work 6 days and I have a family and house renovations to take care of as well, plus the owner hasn't made any definite plans as yet on how far he wants to go with it, but I enjoy doing this sort of stuff in my spare time. It's recreation that I get paid for. :spoton:

I'm still waiting for the owner to make some decisions on what he's doing with it but the drivers seat mounts are cactus and there's a couple of small issues with the floor pan so I'll update the progress and plans as they happen.

He already has my next job lined up for me too:

Posted Image

It's a Cooper S race car that I'm going to deseam and degutter, fix some rust and probably some other custom work, depending on what he decides to do with it.

Like I said, progress is slow but will be updated as it happens.

Cheers!

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Mum had a brick for 12 years. It was heaven when she upgraded to the much larger 1974 Honda Civic. How we ever used to fit 7 in the Mini is beyond me. Back then it was legal for my little brother to sit on Mums lap when she was in the front.

#3 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Ha Ha Ha, yeah, I don't really get the fascination with them but the owner has 3 Mini's and has some big (if a bit vague at the moment) plans for them.

I reckon they'll be good things when he's done though, by the sound of his ideas.

#4 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:41 PM

watch the Italian job with Micheal (young) caine...the original not the 90's remake with edward norton and co
then just then you may understand the cult attraction with them :)

#5 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

He might be interested in my car?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

Quagmire, I own that movie on DVD ( I actually have both), but I still don't get it. You ever changed a fan belt on one? 4 hour job!

Hanra, that is a very sweet looking car, even if it is a mini, you've done a fantastic job with that! Are you looking to sell it? I don't think it's quite to this dudes taste but you never know.

#7 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

fair bit of work de-seaming them, especially the roof gutter as the roof does not always line up with the pillar/quarter panel

here is the last one I did up, original 1964 Cooper
Posted Image

#8 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

[quote name='Squarepants' timestamp='1317977221' post='626770']
Quagmire, I own that movie on DVD ( I actually have both), but I still don't get it. You ever changed a fan belt on one? 4 hour job!

no...and sorry i don't intend to especially now you've said that :)
but they are a cult car....ask any pom and 99% will have or know someone who has owned one

#9 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, they are. I went out to the Leyburn sprints a few weeks ago and there was about 10 of the little cahns out there. They are popular, no doubt about it.
I wouldn't own one if you paid me though.
If I wanted something that was slow and handled like a go-kart, I'd buy a go-kart. At least they're easier to work on.

Thanks Makka, It looks like you did a good job on that one. I'll have a look at the gutters before I get too excited, the seams should be ok but I'll check the gutter situation before cutting anything off. I appreciate the heads up.

I'm no Dirtbag, afterall. I don't have a magic wand in my tool box.

Edited by Squarepants, 07 October 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#10 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hanra, that is a very sweet looking car, even if it is a mini, you've done a fantastic job with that! Are you looking to sell it? I don't think it's quite to this dudes taste but you never know.

Not looking to sell, just thought he may like to look at the pics.

#11 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Very nice. I've never actually been in one, but your one in particular looks like a shitload of fun to drive.

#12 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

I'm sure he will, I certainly did!

#13 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hanra, a couple questions out of curiosity...
What's been done to the engine? It looks like an A series with SU's, what else has been done?
What does/would it do over the quarter mile? (I know this is not something Mini enthusiasts care about usually, I'm just curious)
Are they 13" rims? Would you say they make it handle better or worse?
Cheers mate, I know the owner of these cars would be interested in these answers too.

#14 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Hey mate, Ill just give you a speil that Ive got saved:

Engine: 1330cc A-Series, Graham Russell Engineering Ported/polished/flowed head, Graham Russell Engineering RE13 Cam, Hypatec pistons/rings, twin 1 1/4in SU's, stub stacks, Ramflow filters, Petronix electronic ignition, re-curved dizzy, 3 core radiator/6 blade fan, High capacity water pump, Engine/Box painted in 2 pac red

Gearbox: 4 speed 4 syncro, KAD Quickshift, straight cut primary/idler/input gear, S clutch.

Diff: Cross pin diff centre, 3.44:1.

Exhaust: 3-2-1 LCB extractors, 2in straight through system with stainless straight through muffler, 3 1/4in tip.

Suspension: Spax 15 point gas adjustable shocks, Adjustable height f/r, Adjustable camber f/r, Adjustable castor, powder coated subframes f/r and suspension/brake components.

Wheels/Tyres: 12inch Performance Superlights, Dunlop Formula R D01J's 165/55/R12.

Brakes: Honda Civic 9.1 inch discs/calipers up front, Stock rear S drums,

Interior: Sparco Sprint Race Seats, SAAS 3 point harnesses, SAAS 12inch steering wheel, Nikken pedals/gear knob, Autometer Monster Tacho w/shift lite, Autometer oil pressure/water temp, Lowered steering colum, Billet indicator stalk/door lock, Billet window winders/door openers, Fire extinguisher.

Exterior: 2 Pac Ford Monza red, Jet White roof with white bonnet stripes, S arches, Bullet racing mirrors, 2 Monza Fuel Caps.

Stereo: Full Kenwood system, RDS head unit, 11 band electronic EQ, Six stack CD, Four 350w 7 by 10's, Two 180w 6in's, Two 750w 12in Subs, Two 4 channel 100w Amps, Steering wheel remote.

Quarter mile..... meh,,, A bit quicker then a stock V6 Commodore. They car only weights in the mid 600kg, I know guys that fit turbos/blowers to there cars get them really moving!!!!

10in rims/tyres are better for handling, but my 12's are still quite good but thats also down to my semi slick tyres.

#15 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

any HP figures Hanra?

#16 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

The actual HP figure would probaly be "not enough".

#17 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:39 AM

Hanra, why only the 1 1/4" SU's? even a standard 1275 has 1 1/2"

#18 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

No idea about HP. Maybe 50 ATFW? Not really fussed by HP. I didnt build this car to be a horsepower hero.

Im running two 1 1/4in SU's. A stock moke 1275 has one 1 1/2. Cooper S have twin 1 1/4. The Police Pack Cooper S's have twin 1 1/2's.

#19 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:25 PM

thought you might like this little number,it started life as a van and richard cut it down into a ute,it has clubman doors which he cut into the car,has clubman tailights,airconditioned,fuel injected (to be super charged later) if you look carefully it has a BMW mini bonnet fitted well some of it,to do this he extended the head light surrounds

try again

Attached Files

#20 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

That ute would be good for hill climbs, being on a vertical surface like that and all... :P
Seriously though, that's a cool mini. Anything that customised is cool in my eyes.

What's different about the Clubman doors? Wind up windows? How much modification did they take to fit?

#21 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

The clubman doors are longer,so what he done was to cut the whole door frame out of the donor car and weld it into the ute body,from memory the rear was extended to and the back window area was hand made too

#22 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

Well, like I said progress is slow, but here is an update for those that are interested...

First step was to make a cardboard template of the inner panel. I originally cut it through the join between the inner and outer panels so I knew where the join was supposed to be. Once I'd made the template, then I could hook in and cut a bit more out so I wasn't welding on the join... (if you're pickin up what I'm puttin down. It should make more sense as I progress...)

Posted Image

I then had to make up the inner panel which now included a small part of outer panel seeing as I had cut the extra section out. This meant putting a small swage (dogleg) in the piece so when the 2 panels overlap they still end up flat to follow the body line. This is how I did it...
Firsly, I cut a new piece of steel with an updated template, marked it where the swage has to be from the old template, then found a spare piece of panel steel, the same thickness as the swage depth to clamp underneath the new panel to the bench...

Posted Image

With another piece of substantial sized plate clamped on top of it, both of them lining up with the swage mark...

Posted Image

Then with another substantially sized plate (I used 6mm thick x 50mm wide for both), I clamped that a little off the swage line with a drift on top (I used a piece of 50mm angle to spread the load) and gave it a few hits with a FBH...

Posted Image

And ended up with this...

Posted Image

I cut and bent a strip to fill in the inside of the door jamb, which also required a swage to match and tacked them in...

Posted Image

After fully welding them and cleaning them up, it looked like this...

Posted Image

To clean up the weld in the tight corner of the swage I used a Dremel with a tiny little round burr...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Worth it's weight in gold for this job!
There was then the task of the outer panels. I cut the first new piece to shape, and after a little curving to match the body lines I tacked it in like so...

Posted Image

The next piece to go in was the outer door jamb section which is spot welded from factory so i made the strip up and drilled it to match the factory spot weld spacing and plug welded it, as well as welding it to the new outer panel.

Posted Image

This is it all welded and cleaned up...

Posted Image

The last piece to go in was the lower seam which is where the lower sill and upper panel meet. As this is covered with a polished ally strip, and the fact that I have just welded the upper and lower panels together, I didn't see the point in sandwiching 2 pieces back in to it to invite rust to gather again. I put 1 piece in as such...

Posted Image

And finished...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I just need to prime it, give it a little spray filler and job done.

There may be more to do on this with seat mounts, etc, but I need to speak to the owner before I go any further.

Until next time... Thanks for reading, Cheers!

Edited by Squarepants, 03 December 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#23 _DrRetcorp_

_DrRetcorp_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

nice man. :spoton:

#24 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

The clubman doors are longer,so what he done was to cut the whole door frame out of the donor car and weld it into the ute body,from memory the rear was extended to and the back window area was hand made too

No difference in length with clubman doors. Main difference is the burst proof door locks. To use clubby doors you would also need the door frame as it houses a different latch to a round nose. Shame he cut up a round nose van, there are few and far between.... He should of started with a clubman van and then fitted a round nose front, perhaps fibreglass and flip it.

#25 _wblje_

_wblje_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

very nice mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users