Big brake kit

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

hi all, Bought a 330mm kit from UPC... i know i know, DONT DO IT!!!!

Anyways, i did. the problem with mine is the braket and caliper (VE caliper) fouls on the top of the tie rod. i have though of numerous ways to maybe fix this but no go.

My other thought was the steering arms. apperently its not good to muck around with em.... but was looking at the A9x steering arm. this arm sits about 20 mm lower.
What are your thoughts on this working. and any other ideas out there?????

HELP!!!!!

#2 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

if you just have standard torana steering arms get a set of a9x ones from harrop nearly every decent brake conversion requires them http://www.harrop.com.au/contact.php

#3 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

Yes. thanks for that. I rang them today and got price. $155 each plus gst plus frieght. wanted to get some feedback before making the plunge

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

The A9X steering arms are for A9X/HQ-WB stub axles, not Torana ones. It seems like you may be lucky enough that a touch of clearance grinding may be possible on that caliper? Otherwise swap the stubs left to right like everyone else.

#5 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

ok I think you have your wires crossed

if you run a9x arm you will have to change your stub axles to Hq type.... and then your caliper mounting bracket wont fit

#6 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

why dont you make a new mounting bracket? one that moves the caliper up 20mm?

or return it and get a hoppers kit

#7 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

so i f i use a9x steering arms i have to use hq stubs. and if i do that than the caliper bracket wont fit.....

i cant move it up as caliper will foul and have less steering.

im looking at swapping stubs this weekend to see if it works but again look as though it will also foul and have even less steering.
spose last option it to start grinding and see where i end up.

i told UPC that the kit doesnt fit like it should but they are saying im pretty much useless. after this they said return it, short of them coming around and fitting it themselfs. but if i return it they are charging me a %20 restocking fee... plus i had to pay postage to and from.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

Take it back, throw parts at whoever you can see, then kidnap the receptionist and hold her ransom for your refund.

Cheers.

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Do you have LH/LX or UC steering arms? The UC arms will give a little more clearance and will work with the Torana stubs.

If you fill in your location someone may be able to lend you some UC arms to trial fit.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 13 October 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#10 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

They can't charge a restocking fee for a product thats not suitable for the application they advertised

But quite simply... wrong kit... live and learn I guess

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

From the photo, I would get a file onto the caliper and just take enough off for a mm of clearance. Or clean the muck off the tie rod end.

Al;ways do the cheap fix first.

#12 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

im on the sunshine coast queensland. If anyone is around this area and has a set of UC steering arms i could lend that would be great. are the bolt holes on the A9x steering arms differerent? is this why they will not fit torana stub axles?

the picture shows the caliper and caliper bracket fouling on the top of the tie rod.... but what you dont see is that the bolt on the lower side of the bracket that goes into the steering arm is not in there as it does not line up with the hole... caliper is just resting on tie rod.

#13 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

Posted Image

Thanks for everyones input

this is the other side... note there is no bolt through braket to caliper

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

A9X arms have the same bolt pattern. They will bolt strait to Torana arms.

BUT, it will affect your bump steer drastically. If your driving along a nice road and hit a bump the car will jump to the side and the steering wheel will tear out of your hands. When you hit a tree after that happens your big brakes wont look so usefull will they??

Cheers.

#15 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:46 PM

How much do you need removed from the caliper before you have the bolts both in the steering arm? UC steering arms are roughly half way between the height of LX and A9X steering arms and are actually better for minimising bumpsteer if you align the front end to UC specs.

You do not want to use the A9X arms with Torana stub axles as mentioned.

See how you go - there is at least 1 other possibility if they are close but if they are a long way from fitting with UC steering arms, probably easier to change tack to a different setup.

#16 _zeroinstinct_

_zeroinstinct_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Bracket only needs to come down about 3mm. then tie rod will be hard up. i would asume i would need 1-2mm clearance? when car is lowered and sitting at ride height will this change the gap again?

#17 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Mate, pack them up and send them back, THEY JUST DON'T FIT, the guy that sells them is a member here, and has a Torana in the muscle car masters, surely you think he will address this issue and fix it or give a full refund.

:soapbox: Oh and yes I have the same RUBBISH in my garage, I think Mr Spares/ Mr UPC should pop his head in and sort this fraudulent practise out... :shoot: :banghead:

#18 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

UC arms sound like they will very possibly get you there if you only need 3mm - especially with a bit of a grind but you would want to make sure you don't plan to remove them and send them back - they might get cranky if you have shaved the corners off and then want a refund. A bit of a gring on that edge doesn't look like it would cause dramas.
The only reason that gap will close up when suspension drops to ride height is because the tie rod end will tilt over - as long as you have clearance through out suspension travel and lock to lock you will be right - no need to go to 2mm clearance - 1mm is plenty.

#19 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:25 PM

Mate, pack them up and send them back, THEY JUST DON'T FIT, the guy that sells them is a member here, and has a Torana in the muscle car masters, surely you think he will address this issue and fix it or give a full refund.

:soapbox: Oh and yes I have the same RUBBISH in my garage, I think Mr Spares/ Mr UPC should pop his head in and sort this fraudulent practise out... :shoot: :banghead:

I would say since that member joined in early 09 and never came back after the first day that he's not going to be answering any threads here about his products

#20 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

The UC arms should fix the trouble. Bump steer, blah blah blah, Holden fitted the different arms to the same stub/spindle so it shouldn't cause you any trouble. The Harrop/A9X arms will/may cause you trrouble as they are the lower of the lot and are to be used with the HQ type stub/spindle as it has a higher axle position by some 3/4". Not sure there is any other easy solution as plenty on here have mentioned trouble with that particular kit.

#21 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I would say since that member joined in early 09 and never came back after the first day that he's not going to be answering any threads here about his products

He last posted in August, so you never know....

If he is not the owner he certainly is involved with the company.

Any way that was my vent.... all better now. ^_^

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

Bump steer, blah blah blah,

And this is why there are so many rules and regulations against modified cars.

Cheers for making it hard for everyone else mate.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 13 October 2011 - 09:38 PM.

#23 mick_in_oz

mick_in_oz

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:LX Hatchback

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

Bomber, it wasn't meant quite like that, and i'm the first to make sure things are safer/better then when it left the factory, but the UC arms were fitted by Holden to the same spindle, so it has to be fine to use. Surely the UC update was a step forward rather than backwards as far as steering performance is concerned. I agreed that the Harrop arm would have been a poor choice.

#24 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

He last posted in August, so you never know....

If he is not the owner he certainly is involved with the company.

Any way that was my vent.... all better now. ^_^

Best you send me the member name
Cause the member with the email that we have on file is obviously different to the one your thinking

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Bomber, it wasn't meant quite like that, and i'm the first to make sure things are safer/better then when it left the factory, but the UC arms were fitted by Holden to the same spindle, so it has to be fine to use. Surely the UC update was a step forward rather than backwards as far as steering performance is concerned. I agreed that the Harrop arm would have been a poor choice.

Yeah i probably went off after two strokes as usual (prematurely).

I was under the impression that the UC steering arm was only supposed to be used with the UC upper control arms (which tilt the top of the stub backwards and as such raise the tie rod end of the steering arm in relation to the rack) Albeit being the same stub. Mind if the UC steering arm did fix teh OP's problems then fitting UC UCA's shouldnt affect the caliper to tie rod clearance but would bring the steering rack back into alignment....If you follow my drift.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 13 October 2011 - 10:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users