knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:03 AM

I bet that thing gleams in the sun!
Very nice gm3300 !!

Spose it would look quite good on an LH/LX too....

Is it metalic? The edge on the nose looks a bit metalic....

#5 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

ta knoath! The Lone O'Ranger is a non-metallic colour, it does have a high content of lead based tinter in the formula, in the Berger mix its 18%.

Most of the really loud colours of the 70's have a relatively high lead content ie,
Lina Mint 17%
Yellow Dolly 16%
Tangerine 22%
Salamanca Red 16%
Sebring Orange 22%.

A lot of the base materials to make these tinters are no longer available (strontium chromate, lead chromate etc) due to the risk involved with producing and handling lead based products, and have been replaced with modern alternatives.
Its a lot of fun driving a bright orange car, in a sea of boring modern colours, although Ford seem to be getting into it again with Toxic, Mandarin etc.
grant

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

was loneoranger an option on LC's? if not, what oranges did they have?

#7 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

it's listed as a 71-72 colour, i've seen a late 71 GTR in Lone O'ranger, i'll check with Dr Terry to see if it was introduced for the HQ release. Some other LC era orange colours are, Sebring Orange, Indy Orange and there's a listing for Turnpike Orange (Bedford Trucks), which has the same ident number as the '73 colour Tangerine(12692)
grant

#8 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

cheers Grant, I am just trying to talk my old man out of painting his LC Yellow. I have gotto paint it so I should be able to pick the colour!

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

What's the matter with Yellow?

Most Auto Paint shops will be able to look up the codes/mixing charts just from the colour name.

#10 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:01 AM

Well Yella SLuR, it's..... um...... YELLOW !!!!

Just gags..

Edited by knoath, 26 May 2006 - 06:02 AM.

#11 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

there is already a yella LC getting round the area, I wanted to do it Baroda silver, but I ma not too keen on painting a mettalic yet

#12 _Ryano_

_Ryano_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:04 AM

MATE DON'T PAINT IT HOMO YELLOW, LONEORANGER IS THE WAY TO GO AS AND YES IT IS A LC COLOUR AS I'M CURRENTLY (LAST 3YRS) DOING A BARE METAL RESTO ON MY OWN LONEORANGER LC 2DOOR AND THE COLOUR LOOKS F@*KING AWESOME,
I JUST PAINTED THE ENGINE BAY LAST WEEKEND AND I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW GOOD THE REST OF IT'S GOING TO LOOK!
JUST DONT PAINT IT IN ACRYLIC, 2PACK IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO! OR IF YOU WANT IT TO LOOK REALLY GOOD DO IT WITH BASECOAT WITH A GOOD QUALITY HIGH SOLIDS CLEAR IT WILL GIVE YOU A NICE DEEP LOOK

#13 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:09 AM

Yella remembers he is a "homo". Might get "I'm a Homo" stickers made up.

Two pack or acrylic is personal preference. Personally, I prefer acrylic, deeper shine (provided you know what you are doing), takes longer to finish, and is repairable, but each to their own. I'm sure most smash repairers use two pack primarily for it's economic benefits.

I actually don't mind yellow or orange, both look good.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 June 2006 - 08:12 AM.

#14 _Ryano_

_Ryano_
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:16 PM

WELL, Yella SLur hate to tell you the truth but anyone who thinks they can get a deeper looking paint job with acrylic over a COB 2 pack job is pullen their middle leg a bit to hard, You can work 2pack COB almost the same as acrylic ie chop and buff the shitter out of it to get it spot on. The best thing about 2 pack is it lasts a lot longer than the acrylics of today which are complete rubbish 20 years ago it was a different story.the only economic benifits of 2 pack vs acrylic is you have perfect shine straightaway but you have to wait longer for it to go off unlike acrylic so I would think the economic benifits are nil, I can speak from experience since I've been a professional painter for the last 8yrs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users