Photo

L34 or A9X

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#26 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

LOL ....... Bugger never thought about buying a car to make a little spare cash.
I got into the habit of buying one to drive fast but doing it in SS style. ...... Haahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Back to reality. I actually have that photo somewhere but haven't seen it for a while. I can't seem to remember which mag or book it was in. No doubt its the same car.

#27 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

Ok, let me clear this up.
HDT had 2 sedans and one hatch when John Sheppard took over in 78. Since we are talking about sedans, I'll call them 1 and 2.

1 is the car in the original picture. This car was used at Sandown by Brock in 78 and then a few rounds by Harvey after he destroyed Brocks new hatch in practice at Amaroo. This car was then used at Bathurst as the "T" car as shown in the previous pics. This car was built from an LX GMP&A shell and converted to A9X specs at the end of 77 . This car is now owned by Chiomi.

2. was never used in the time John Sheppard ran HDT. HDT used the car for promotion purposes only and it was painted up as 05, this is why sometimes there is confusion with the cars, however there are obvious differences between them and if you know what you are looking for it's easy to pick. This car started as an L34 and was crashed heavily by Colin Bond at Amaroo Park in 76. Harry bought a new shell and cut the rear end off and welded it to the front of this car. The front of the new shell was used to repair Skeltions car also damaged in the same accident. Harry then got the two damaged halves, roughly welded them together with the intention of sending them to Grice who had caused the accident.
When Harvey became the only full time driver with HDT in 77 he was given this car to use, only to find it turned one way but not so well the other. He demanded a new shell and so a new shell was purchased and this became number 1.This car was used by Charlie O'Brien at Bathurst and sandown in 77. This car is now owned by Peter Champion.

The pictures below show the two cars, you can see the 05 car with for sale on it is car 2, which is also pictured with 8 on the door. The other two pictures with 05 on the door are car 1.

Attached Files

#28 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LXSS, VUSS, VESSv & the mighty HB

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

Sorry Red, I'm a bit slow :-) does Peter Champion own number 8?

Thank you Red for your's and every one eles's input, it has been an interesting read.

Paul.

#29 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Also the sedan under cover, is that the 77 car?

#30 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Yes, Champion has car 8 painted as 05, (number 2) but he advertises it as 05 (number 1).

#31 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Also the sedan under cover, is that the 77 car?

The sedan under the cover is number 1 at Bathurst 78 as the T car

#32 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Red.

#33 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

bathurst a9x toranas a photographic history,is the book i have paul

#34 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

bathurst a9x toranas a photographic history,is the book i have paul

Thanks Chris, I'll chase a copy.

Cheers.

#35 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:56 AM

Anyone got a date and details of the early 78 Sandown race that was not part of the ATCC and ACM series?

Edited by LXSS350, 02 November 2011 - 04:57 AM.

#36 _rbu07_

_rbu07_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

The race in question occurred on the 5th February 1978 it was a non championship round called the Hang Ten Challenge comprising two races one of 5 laps and the other of 8 laps. Brock finished first in both races.

Five lap race Brock 1st, Ian Geoghegan 2nd in Bob Jane Hatchback and Allan Grice 3rd in four door A9X. Eight lap race Peter Brock 1st, 2nd Bob Morris, 3rd John Harvey.

Phil Brock raced a Biil Patterson Hatchback

#37 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:33 AM

Thanks very much it explains a lot. The Sandown 400 enduro was also sponsored by Hang Ten.
As a lone race (done outside of either 78 championship) it fills the gap and explains the missing race when Brock drove a taxi version.

#38 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:torana

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:00 AM

how many promotional hdt a9x sedans and hatches were there.were any of these cars gmpa shells and how many survive today.does the sedan with the full cage and big hotwires still exist.

Edited by u1 71, 04 November 2011 - 03:04 AM.

#39 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Attached File  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg   553.54K   3 downloads

Found this in the Australian Competition Yearbook #8, page 85 &
caption for pic reads:
"Flasback to the first big touring car race of '78- Brock leads Morris
in his first race back with the HDT at Sandown in the 4 door Torana A9X.
He won the race which was the major supporting event at the Rothmans
International F5000 series meeting."
Same book has the Rothmans F5000 at Sandown listed on page 71 as
February 5th 1978.
Dosnt seem to be any write-up in the book for non-championship rounds.

Cheers
J

#40 its Paul

its Paul

Formerly lx8vd77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:48 PM

The photo (05 car) I put up at the begining of this thread is the "T" car that Chris (ASS308) posted, as RED stated, this car began its life as an L34, then smashed and was half cut repaired, it drove very ordinary so then was reshelled with a GMP&A shell and later upgraded to A9X options. This car in todays language is not a "Factory" A9X, but in its day it was, in my opinion this car with its history is more than an A9X, Its a mutt with culture... :spoton:
As far as GMP&A shells goes, it was that a General Motors Part & Accessories, if you destroyed your car (road car) you could buy a new shell and swap it all over the tags would have MODEL : GMP&A how many there were ???? Red's your man.

The sedan with the full cage and big hotwires I think you are referring to the number 8 car (05 promotional), This car was used by Charlie O'Brien at Bathurst and sandown in 77. This car still exists and is now owned by Peter Champion. as Red states above.

I hope I dont have it all muddled up. B)

#41 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

in the 80 s there was a car yard along parramatta road i think it was called performance car centre that had a blue a9x sedan that they sold as brocks race car.i saw this car at a car show it was wild.i remember the roll cage went through the back seat and had blue velour inserts.from memory it had the big hotwires and a repco 5000 motor in it and 4 wheel discs,which hdt car is this

#42 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Its unfortunate that accurate records and history where not kept, but its understandable. Like all of us nobody really thought these things would become desirable because they where just throw away cars. A lot of this desirability comes from how the car industry has evolved into most cars being styled the same. Cars have always been seen as extensions of our personalities and desires, but current cars have morphed into replicas of each other, which has bored car enthusiasts sense of their worth and driven them back into classics with their definitive and ultra individual style.

Regardless of purists thoughts race cars are different animal, because cars such as the 05 taxi are valued on history not tags. the one thing I've learnt is that each car, seller, buyer situation can be vastly different and that is reflected by the dramatic variations in the prices paid. Ask yourself would you pay the asking price for a Jackson Pollock painting? Some would .... I wouldn't ..... but at the end of the day its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

You can ask what ever price you want, but if no one will pay then obviously it needs reviewing.

If you asked me 20yrs ago that A9X's would sell for $100k+ I would have said you really need to stop taking drugs.

#43 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

In partial answer to how many promo 4 dr A9Xs were built, I know of 1 that is in the process of being refreshed/restored. Red could possibly answer with the total number built. IMO they would be lesser in number than promo hatches and therefore rarer and more desirable.

#44 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

i know a holden dealer who gave one promo a9x sedan to his son .

#45 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Rare certainly helps the price, but you still need desirability and a cashed up buyer. All things being equal (as far as the car), over the past 35 years of ownership, a hatch version has always commanded a larger price than a sedan. As an example we paid more than double for a Promo hatch than what we would have paid for a Promo sedan. That's the personal desirability ( I am a 2 door guy) ....... for me anything else is just a family car for school runs and shopping transport.

#46 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

You should have tried using an L34 with the track pack on the street. My wife could take the kids to school and do the shopping in ANY road going Hatch, different story with the fire breathing L34 4dr. 780 holley, cam that came on song from 4000 to 7000rpm. (in every gear). I have also owned several hatches, and while a promo Hatch may have greater value than a 4dr because they raced more Hatches, I feel a promo 4dr is a more rarer car. Some things are not easily explained. Why is an L34 not valued as highly as an A9X ? (4dr or Hatch). They won Bathurst twice, most other races they contested, had a factory homologated engine specific to that model, low build numbers, (263). I have both models, and believe it or not driving the L34 gives the most pleasure. As with most things we enjoy in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....................................

#47 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

To answer the promo car question, MARLBORO had 3 cars assigned to them for promotional purposes, a sedan and two hatches. They had sequential rego plates I think the sedan was IXT373, the two hatches were IXT 374 and IXT 375. One hatch is here in Sydney, I think the other has gone to WA now? I believe the sedan is in SA with outacontrol? Of the two hatches one had a roll cage, the other didn't. They were both featured in magazines of the day, one with Brock against a Ferrari and one just on a test drive. There are several other cars that were either owned by Holden or dealers that were painted up in Marlboro colours but they were not marlboro promo cars in the true sense in that they didn't go to race meetings with the team or with marlboro on display days. All of the promo cars were just road cars painted up, some had various bits done to them during their lives but they were essentially stock cars when assigned to Marlboro. Just for the record the factory never produced A9X sedan race cars, they were all GMP&A shells which required modifications to bring them to A9X specs. Parramatta road was always claiming to have some ex Brock race car so I'd take that with a grain of salt however when Brock was at Bill Pattersons during 1977 they had the L34 and a GMP&A shell they initially built as an L34 replacement but it was only run once in that form. There is a picture of the two Brock brothers racing them at a meeting as L34's as 05 and 50 from memory. That car was changed to an A9X and raced at Bathurst, the L34 stayed as an L34 and Brock raced the hatch. The A9X sedan was later painted blue and made into a road car, a forum member here owned it a while before it was eventually changed back to a race car and is raced today in Group C. The L34 was sold and became the Citizen A9X, later became a road car and was stolen in Lithgow never to be seen again.

#48 05Torana

05Torana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

According to the Holden Torana Performance handbook there are seven cars with dealer codes 214 & 215 (Promotional duties).
Three are hatchbacks and four are sedans
Three sedans & 1 hatchback are under the 214 code and 1 sedan & 2 hatchbacks are under the 215 code
There is a photo from a previous thread that shows one of the four door promo's in MHDT trim and utilising the steel road rims.
Does any member have a photo of the 4 door promo that can confirm the registration number ?

#49 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

To answer the promo car question, MARLBORO had 3 cars assigned to them for promotional purposes, a sedan and two hatches. They had sequential rego plates I think the sedan was IXT373, the two hatches were IXT 374 and IXT 375. One hatch is here in Sydney, I think the other has gone to WA now?

Yes we have IXT 374 in the shed here in Perth. Brought it from Tasmania a few years ago.

#50 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Many were assigned for promotional duties, but things change you can't just go off that list. A good example would be the first hatch being assigned as a promo car but it never was, JNO652 was the hatch that did all the promotional duties for the magazines and from memory it's not assigned a promotional duties dealer code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users