Jesus RED, do you have a book? I think I'd like to read it. :spoton:

#52 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

2nd that
Great topic guys following with interest

#53 _LXXXIV_

_LXXXIV_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

Pic of 4 door (no reg though)

Attached Files

#54 _des sweeting_

_des sweeting_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

was always under the impression that one of the two patterson cars from 1977 in 1978 was sold to a bloke and raced by him from west oz by the name of barry kallwak or barry kallawak as i am sure when he sold it it was advertised in RCN at the time as being an ex patterson car if you can shed some light this would be good

#55 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

i have some good pics of the hdt 4 doors from 77 and 78 also some good pics of IYL 155 getting a hiding but it wont let me upload them says they are to big .lame,its 2011 :banghead:
if anyone wants any email me.

#56 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

was always under the impression that one of the two patterson cars from 1977 in 1978 was sold to a bloke and raced by him from west oz by the name of barry kallwak or barry kallawak as i am sure when he sold it it was advertised in RCN at the time as being an ex patterson car if you can shed some light this would be good

Yes, this was the car I mentioned above that was an LX GMP&A shell initially built as an L34 and converted to A9X, raced by Bazil Von Rooyen and Gerry Marshall at Bathurst 77. As I said it's now racing in Group C again.

#57 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

rob email me the pic I'll try and post it

#58 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Yes, Outer is now under Control and keen to finish his 4dr. Barry Kallawk was, as Red has stated the owner at one time of the L34/A9X 4dr race car. He has some interesting stories to tell of days gone by. There was also a Hatch sold here several/many years ago that had all of the indications of being an ex race car. Tags said, Papaya, 5ltr, 4spd. Painted white over race paint. Super T10, Factory blister patch, A9X rear axle, evidence of 6 point cage, aerial hole in roof, elongated rear shock mount upper holes, 120 ltr drop tank with industrial sized fittings. Previous owner stripped car back to bare metal and restored to close to original Tag info. Interestingly the race paint could only be matched in various aspects to either the Brock/Brock or Grice Craven Mild cars. Certain people, ( who may have had knowledge of the cars past ), used to make cryptic comments such as, "if that car could talk to you" "if you knew what you have there". Car was sold to a fellow and spent a long period of time in the Goldfields of WA. After all this it may have only been a club car...................................

#59 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Yes, Outer is now under Control and keen to finish his 4dr. Barry Kallawk was, as Red has stated the owner at one time of the L34/A9X 4dr race car. He has some interesting stories to tell of days gone by. There was also a Hatch sold here several/many years ago that had all of the indications of being an ex race car. Tags said, Papaya, 5ltr, 4spd. Painted white over race paint. Super T10, Factory blister patch, A9X rear axle, evidence of 6 point cage, aerial hole in roof, elongated rear shock mount upper holes, 120 ltr drop tank with industrial sized fittings. Previous owner stripped car back to bare metal and restored to close to original Tag info. Interestingly the race paint could only be matched in various aspects to either the Brock/Brock or Grice Craven Mild cars. Certain people, ( who may have had knowledge of the cars past ), used to make cryptic comments such as, "if that car could talk to you" "if you knew what you have there". Car was sold to a fellow and spent a long period of time in the Goldfields of WA. After all this it may have only been a club car...................................

The hatch you speak of was not a Brock Or Grice car it was the Tim Slako hatch.

#60 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

The ex Tim Slako car is still up there and met a sad end that is not for discussion here. The car that I described was not an A9X or GMP/A shell, too early build. Very interestingly when GMH were asked for a letter of authenticity based on the PSN number, 8D77 TF.XXXXXXX. they came up with the description of another hatch, not even close to the specs of these tags. On 3 separate occasions the PSN was quoted, each time this other cars details were given. Ultimately Jeff Calvert provided a letter based on the info contained on the tags. There is NO doubt this car is not the Tim Slako car.

#61 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Name:peter
  • Car:torana

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

#62 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

well done red.thats the car,so thats brocks l34

#63 u1 71

u1 71

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

a

#64 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

well done red.thats the car,so thats brocks l34

Yes, the chrome around the windows is a giveaway that it's an upgraded L34

#66 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Great reading those old articles. Such a shame we fought the bad oiling system of the 308. Could have cleaned up all of 77,78,79.

#67 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

According to the Holden Torana Performance handbook there are seven cars with dealer codes 214 & 215 (Promotional duties).
Three are hatchbacks and four are sedans
Three sedans & 1 hatchback are under the 214 code and 1 sedan & 2 hatchbacks are under the 215 code
There is a photo from a previous thread that shows one of the four door promo's in MHDT trim and utilising the steel road rims.
Does any member have a photo of the 4 door promo that can confirm the registration number ?

One such sedan was a black car given to phillip morris race team coordinator as the companies falcon wagon looked out of place. this car recently restored in qld

#68 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Great reading those old articles. Such a shame we fought the bad oiling system of the 308. Could have cleaned up all of 77,78,79.

don't forget it also could have been 74,75,76 as in the 74 race brock's car was still leading even after beening packed up for the day

#69 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I was just sticking with the A9X topic, but yes I fully agree. Such a shame GMH didn't stick with the chev out of the HQ instead of going with the poorly designed 308. Lot of races lost due to the 308's oiling dramas. Fact always was the 308 was a POS. In hindsight it was a little lucky the race teams where able to cobble together the wins we did.

Edited by LXSS350, 11 November 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#70 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

if anyone would like i could scan the whole book and if you send me a usb ill copy it for you.

Edited by rob350hatch, 12 November 2011 - 03:49 PM.

#71 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Or just buy a new USB for $5 and charge $5 + postage to all members interested.

#72 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

yeah either way
by the way does the above citizen car still exist i like it more and more everytime i look at it.i have a spare lh possible replica coming up???
does anyone know?
and bonnet is sitting up on the clips??????in the pic extra cooling or dog dick malfunction

Edited by rob350hatch, 12 November 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#73 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hello rob
RedA9X stated above that the car was stolen and not recovered so it is missing
This is a car that I was also thinking of doing however have come across
this one already done ....so I think I have changed my mind doesnt mean it cant be done again..
Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Doesn't look like there's much spare room in that shed.

He gets bonus points.

#75 _Chiomi#05_

_Chiomi#05_
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

What a fascinating read!

Hello All, I am not going to be a regular on this forum, I just got distracted researching articles for my uni assignment when I saw this blog and thought I had to reply. Assume you realise by now I am Chiomi who owns Brock 05 A9X sedan.

There is no real order to what I am typing, just providing clarifications, given the conjecture in the blog. Many bloggers have got so many things right, just a few things I feel compelled to correct. And I would like to thank you all for your interest.
This is the A9X. It came off the production line as a GMP&A shell in around August 1977, complete with interior and all hanging panels and specific rollcage mounting points and extra welding points for race cars and was always intentioned to be built into a race car. They did utilise many L34 parts, on this car as they were left over from L34, eg. Fuel tank (in boot of car) but this car was never an L34. The reason it has an LH front, is Wayne Negus had a mishap at Phillip Island round in 1977 where he bent the nose cone, and it was replaced with what they had in the workshop, thus “TORANA” across the top. There are photos of this incident in a couple of old magazines (I just got to page 3 of blog and there’s the photo!). A9X sedans do have GMH badge grill not the SS badge.
Yes it is the car Brock first raced in 1978, when he went back with HDT. I believe it was the Rothman’s Round, not Hang 10 as I had previously thought. Brock did drive a 4 door A9X once, John Sheppard did not want him just walking back into HDT expecting the best, he had to prove his worth. He of course won the round and then moved straight into the hatch.
Yes John Harvey drove this car as #76 at Wannaroo after crashing Brock’s hatch. Yes it was the T car in 1978 at Bathurst, but they ran the 2 hatchbacks in the actual race.
The photo which initially started this blog was Andrew Reid driving it at Sandown I think in 2005 (the years are all a blur now). This is a photo which is also being misrepresented and sold by photographers as being an original 1978 photo which it is not.
As written by "Red" 1 is the car in the original picture. This car was used at Sandown by Brock in 78 and then a few rounds by Harvey after he destroyed Brocks new hatch in practice at Amaroo. This car was then used at Bathurst as the "T" car as shown in the previous pics. This car was built from an LX GMP&A shell and converted to A9X specs at the end of 77 . This car is now owned by Chiomi. Yes this statement is correct
Written by Red - This car was used by Charlie O'Brien at Bathurst and sandown in 77. This car is now owned by Peter Champion. This statement is incorrect – The car driven at Bathurst in 1978 is the A9X driven by Charlie O’Brien and Ron Harrop as number 8, it is not the L34. That is, it Chiomi’s car not Peter Champions. The other car ran Sandown in 1977 not Chiomi’s.
Due to confidentiality I will not go into the complete history of post 1978 racing, but its authenticity has been verified, enabling it to be given a certificate of description and run as a genuine Group C Brock A9X. All I will say, is it was not a blue car on Paramatta Rd.
Peter Champions car is a completely different car to this, it is an L34 I believe.
Please also note, I did not say this, it was the journalist’s license… “Peter had a special affection for this car,” said Chiomi, “He had a really good look at the car when we ran at Phillip Island earlier this year and asked if he could do a couple of laps in what was obviously an ‘old friend’ to him.
Not sure if anyone is even reading this :) but I am happy to respond to questions, although as I said earlier, not sure how often I will be signing in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users