Photo

steering coupling snapped,in the driveway luckily !

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 retired308

retired308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

turned out of the driveway and bang no steering, pulled out the old rubber mount and 4 bolts, and have bought a new one from rares spares,
looking at the broken one it is a nolathane rubber one part no hb110, it is all rubber and has let go in 2 places, it has no reinforced bits in it at all, is this right?

the new one has steel ? around-through the 4 holes, i will get new nuts and bolts and fit it up this weekend. any thing to look out for please.

check yours now or a friends please could have been nasty.

#2 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

They usually let go in the car park. I think it's the extra effort & strain they are under at parking speeds, or parked.

If they start to fail when at speed, they tend to give a fair amount of warning. You can feel it in the wheel when something ain't right!

Just my 2c anyway.

#3 retired308

retired308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

thanks for that statler

i cant see how just a rubber one would be fitted with no safety if the rubber does perish, it just pulled right out of two holes and spun around no steering at all, ps its an lj torana one.

Edited by retired308, 31 October 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yes the LC/LJ ones do not have the steel bits, just the rubber bit.

As I am sure you now know, the LH/LX/UC ones will fit and are a better design.

#5 retired308

retired308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

• the new rares unit arrived today and is a bedford lj fitment h1160 and has steel inserts imbedded in the rubber joint, the one that failed did have crush tubes that must of pulled out of the joint with the bolts.

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

Yes the LC/LJ ones do not have the steel bits, just the rubber bit.

As I am sure you now know, the LH/LX/UC ones will fit and are a better design.

What exactly do you mean by the HB/LC/LJ/TA doesn't have the steel bits, just the rubber bit?
This is a NOS coupling for HB/LC/LJ/TA.
Posted Image

#7 retired308

retired308

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

hi again, the new rares one is the same as the pic above.

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Okay should have been clearer - yes there is some steel in the LC/LJ ones but there is nothing captive with those ones when the rubber fails as opposed to the LX/UC ones as shown here below.

http://www.ebay.com....=item1c1cec96b9

With these LX/UC ones, the rubber can fail and you don't lose steering all together - it is very sloppy if the rubber brakes but you can still steer safely to a stop or to get home.

Matt.

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

Okay should have been clearer - yes there is some steel in the LC/LJ ones but there is nothing captive with those ones when the rubber fails as opposed to the LX/UC ones as shown here below.

http://www.ebay.com....=item1c1cec96b9

With these LX/UC ones, the rubber can fail and you don't lose steering all together - it is very sloppy if the rubber brakes but you can still steer safely to a stop or to get home.

Matt.

G/day Matt

Point taken and I couldn't agree more. The HB/LC/LJ/TA coupling wasn't the smartest design in the world, but what can you expect when you adopt Vauxhall engineering LOL.

Just need to inspect them regularly. Replaced mine recently as the rubber was separating from the metal parts.

Cheers
Dave.

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like you had a lucky break.

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Sounds like you had a lucky break.

Yeah Chopper, I suppose you could say that. What alerted me was a noise emanating from the steering column when i turned the steering wheel, sort of like like tyres being turned on smooth concrete.
Posted Image

#12 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

I was just going to start a thread on Steering Couplings,I put a new one in the LX( Rare Spares one) only a few years ago,I noticed yesterday that the rubber is now looking bent out of shape,the two pin parts on the coupling look angled outwards and the cut outs around the pins look to be elongated wider??.I took some pics but the problem is somehow not visable in my pics??

What the hell would cause this?!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

I was just going to start a thread on Steering Couplings,I put a new one in the LX( Rare Spares one) only a few years ago,I noticed yesterday that the rubber is now looking bent out of shape,the two pin parts on the coupling look angled outwards and the cut outs around the pins look to be elongated wider??.I took some pics but the problem is somehow not visable in my pics??

What the hell would cause this?!

Might have something to do with those four blow torches you have right next to it. Did the Lx come with a cover like the UCs had? guessing it was to protect long term from the effects of heat and oil, and/or it may be the quality of the rubber used in the rare spares unit.

Has it weakened to the point that there is now some play through the joint?

Edited by torbirdie, 02 November 2011 - 05:30 AM.

#14 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

Guys I need help= I just replaced the LX Steering Coupling with a" Geniune new old stock" one everything is ok but for some reason now the lowest cotter pin down on the coupling is pulled right into it, ie the non threaded end only protrudes out 2mm or so whereas all the others are protruding out a lot more.

The nut is tight but wondering if something is wrong here???.............

#15 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

Try feeding the cotter pin in from the other side.

#16 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Ok I'll have to try get it back out again and give it a go, they are a real bastard to get out though!.............

#17 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

No good ,it still pulls right in the coupling!? all I can think of is this pin is worn somewhat as its old.

Are the Steering coupling and Steering Uni Joint Cotter pins the same dimensions?

#18 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

I believe the pins are all the same, but don't quote me. They're also meant to a one use only item from memory. Supposed to replace them if taken out. Doubt many people do it though.

#19 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Well I was'nt aware of that,I'll have to buy some new ones,or the set of 2 at least anyways but they are pretty expensive for what they are!

#20 _76S.L.R_

_76S.L.R_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

ARGHHHH!, ive just read this http://www.gmh-toran...ng-cotter-pins/ plus other old threads that the Rare Spares Cotter pins are weak as piss and break!!!.

So I'll have to now find some decent second hand ones,unless holden still has them but I highly doubt it!?..............

#21 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

CRS do them as well, don't know how good they are or if they're the same ones rares sell.

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Holden did have some, same part for early Commodores. Somebody posted the GM-H part number a while ago. rodomo will probably find it. He seems to be the self proclaimed search master.

#23 _Ron_

_Ron_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

This topic was referred to me. I cant believe the exact same thing as just happened to my wifes Torana. I had just come home from work and pulled into the driveway and the steering went. This is something all Torana owners should check. Going to replace it with a Genuine Old Stock one as soon as I buy one. $125 is a little expensive. But well worth the piece of mind.

Ron

#24 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

Replaced mine recently thought about buying a Nos one but started to think do I really want a piece of rubber that is maybe 15yrs old or more. Ended up going for the Rares one so far so go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users