What tyre pressure

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hi folks,

i will be getting a pair of Micky T ET's 235 15 R60 to go onto my LC torana. What trye pressure should i run these at?

Thanks

#2 _Tim Roberts_

_Tim Roberts_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

ET streets as in a radial tyre? or ET drag?

#3 _Tim Roberts_

_Tim Roberts_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

just sore your other post and it said radials. so if i was you i would start around 20, looks like your not putting out major power so i would say you will be safe around there. remember these are a radial so they don't work like a conventional slick, less pressure does NOT increase grip in a radial, but in saying that you can put to much pressure into them and they will spin so sometime you do need to let a pound or two out, i cant see you needing to go under say 18p. they are great tyres

#4 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Have to agree with the above, but i've had good results dropping pressures as i needed more traction.
We had a picture with a LITTLE tyre wall wrinkle (which surprised me!) and they work fine.

Never shown any signs of turning on the rim and ive gone as low as 13 pounds when the track was crappy.

Start at 20 and work down, A good investment might be a little compressor to top up if needed!

#5 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Yeah just fixed my compressor so happy days. Prob won't go down til after christmas but want as much info as I can. In the midst of adjusting the suspension so that will help also.

Yeah just fixed my compressor so happy days. Prob won't go down til after christmas but want as much info as I can. In the midst of adjusting the suspension so that will help also.

Arent the et radials suppose to be good? I don't really want to fork out for slicks if I'm only going to use them prob twice a year. So I thought the street slicks will be a happy medium

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

They ate an excellent tyre, I know if guys running 9s with them (on well set up drag cars I must say!)

#7 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

I used to run these on my LJ & found 14-16 psi the best depending on the track. Under 14 it got verrry squirmy in the top end & times didn't improve.

#8 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

no worries i might start off on 20 and go down from their. Perths track is normally pretty sticky so will see how it goes i guess.

#9 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

Sorry for the thread revival, I was just wondering what kind of 60 foot times people are getting with these tyres? Are people getting as low as say 1.7?

#10 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

1.49's - 1.51's
275 50 15. 18 psi. Tyre spins and inch on the rim each hit though. Waiting for bead locks to arrive.
Great tyre imo

#11 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

I get 1.7 @18psi with my new combo

#12 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

This is sounding promising...

I cant really afford to spring for full slicks and front runner rims etc, so I would like to just try 235/60r 15 et streets at the back...

My existing tyres are no where near up to the task and I have only been able to get a 2.3 60 foot with them- nankang street tyres. I really need a 1.8 60 foot to achieve what I want to achieve... 

Are you able to 'dump' the clutch as aggressively with et streets as you can with full slicks? Or do ET streets need to feather the clutch out more like street tyres?

With my setup i need to launch about 5k minimum to keep the revs up and in the powerband (cranky 202). Im running a 9 inch and brass button clutch so drivetrain can tolerate abuse

#13 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:32 PM

Best of 1.6 and regularly 1.7 60ft times with M&H ET radials 235/60 15. But I need slicks now as they aren't grippy enough for my new combo..

#14 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

Best of 1.6 and regularly 1.7 60ft times with M&H ET radials 235/60 15. But I need slicks now as they aren't grippy enough for my new combo..

what launch technique do you use mate?

#15 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

For me,
Huge smokey 200km/h+ burnout for 4 or 5 seconds.

Stall up to 2500ish rpm then sidestep the brake and plant the foot. Hooks up like a mofo and slams you back into the seat.

#16 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

I run the same tyre on my hatch with a manual. I dump the clutch at 5500-5800 and still get good grip out the hole. I have let go at higher rpm, but the diff didn't like me doing it too often.
I have had my tyres down to around 13-14psi to help on take off. It does float a bit near the bottom of the track. Just go with it and don't try to steer against it.

Regardless of what tyre you use, they will all let go at some stage.
Sometimes a small amount of tyre slip helps to keep the revs up and momentum forward.

#17 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:18 AM

I ran the radial M/Ts on the LJ for a number of years with good success, 12.71@103,1.8 60', manual, organic clutch. I changed to a brass clutch & the 60' jumped to 2-2.1 & back to 13.1 passes. I tried different launch revs etc. but still couldn't get the times back to the lower number, it took me a while to work out that the rag clutch was slipping enough to allow the lower 60'. There was an article on the M/T site that did say that they weren't suited that well to manual trans with a solid clutch. My advise would be to go with a slick, 1.6s 60'.

#18 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

I ran the radial M/Ts on the LJ for a number of years with good success, 12.71@103,1.8 60', manual, organic clutch. I changed to a brass clutch & the 60' jumped to 2-2.1 & back to 13.1 passes. I tried different launch revs etc. but still couldn't get the times back to the lower number, it took me a while to work out that the rag clutch was slipping enough to allow the lower 60'. There was an article on the M/T site that did say that they weren't suited that well to manual trans with a solid clutch. My advise would be to go with a slick, 1.6s 60'.

Thanks for all the replies...

As mentioned I was not sure how well the ET Streets would hold up when dumping the clutch as I know they dont have the same wrinkle effect of full slicks...

I am happy to run full slicks if I cant find some front runner rims for a decent price...

What rims do you run on the front? I have volvo 9 inch stockies for the back but nothing for the front and not sure where to find them or what to use...

#19 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

For the politically incorrect street racers amongst us.
I have run the ET street radials on the street ever since they became available. They make an excellent street tyre. Much better grip in the dry and wet than anything else available. You do need to run fairly low pressures to get an even wear pattern. I found 16-18 psi was about right for the 235/60/15 with 15-17 psi about right for the 275/50/15. They wear very well in general driving conditions.

#20 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Rexy I'm thinking about running them full time on the back of my hatch. Do they last on the street or are they too soft and wear out too quick?
I'm thinking of putting them on my 17" Simmons. I'm sick of giving it a rev and not going anywhere. Unless I'm on a freeway, my street tyres go up in smoke too easy!

#21 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

I use them on all the old cars. As they only do a few thousand Kay's each year I find I get a few years out of each set. Five to six thousand street k will see you at the wear bars, less if you chew them up doing burnouts of course! At this point most tires are starting to harden up a bit so you might as well have soft ones to start with.
I have 275/40/17 on the ute at the moment. They were on the hatch for a while. Very nice to drive on.

#22 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Fark they are deadly in the wet..................spun me around big time in front of several oncoming cars and I was only taking off as per normal....Never have them again for daily use.....

As for my launch method, I ran in autos so probably not going to help you unfortunately...

#23 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

Not sure what happened there Gerry. I have driven thousands of km in all conditions without that happening to me. The only car that makes me a bit nervous in the wet is the LJ. It's twitchy at the best of times with its short wheelbase. It's set up very stiff with a big lose converter, certainly not ideal for low grip wet conditions.
The old LX sedan with the 383/R154 manual combo was beautifully progressive in all conditions, even when the ETs were nearly bald. I used to deliberately pick it for wet weather duties before I got the Coupe 4.

#24 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

I have heard of LJs being very difficult to control in the wet when running ET Streets. In saying that, I know of a few blokes who run ET streets on their cars and havent had any issues.

To be honest, I did not buy ET streets when I replaced my street tyres, as I figured that it wasnt worth the risk if I was caught in the wet. 

#25 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Rexy

It was in my old LX with the 355 and head combo you just bought off me mate.  Scared the crap out of me...Simply took off form the lights and when it hit second gear, ripped me around 180 degrees facing oncoming traffic.....bad news....Never again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users