My engine build, please look over my shoulder [4 Banger]

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hey guys, Im just starting my new engine build... Ive built a couple motors before which are still going strong but this is my first serious motor.

The guys from my Gemini forum have also asked me to do a writeup of how to build a motor, Im no pro and just know what ive learnt from books/dvds and forums so id also like to post up what ive done on here and hopefully you can confirm im doing it right and point out anything ive missed or plain out doing wrong. Im open to any criticism and suggestions.

Ok firstly here is the full specs.

Isuzu 4ZE1 2.6L Straight 4 Single OHC
Block crack & sonic tested, Line hones, Bored & Torque plate honed, decked
Stock 10/10 Crank, Stock Main bolts, King bearings
Spool forged rods with ARP2000 bolts
Custom forged JE pistons designed to suit turbo, Ceramic coated crowns and low friction coated skirts
All balanced
Head ported by Shaun from CHT (Previously Allports)
Head Studs
Custom Cam, 44mm Inlets, 40mm exhaust
Custom Individual Runner exhaust manifold
GT30/76 Garret Turbo
Custom Intake manifold

Ok here goes, Ill write it here as If I was writing a how-to write up.

Got your freshly machined block back from the Machine shop.They would have hot-tanked it and removed all the old paint and rust scale for you. If your just doing a Re-ring or only painting the block and its not being hot-tanked then just make sure you give it a really good clean/degrease and wire brush off any loose paint/corrosion.

Mount it onto a Engine stand and you should have something like this:
Posted Image

Its up to you if you grind the exterior smooth and paint it in full gloss 2-pak but I think the Gloss enamel from a Can looks just fine, its hidden under manifolds and turbos anyway so meh, I doubt anyone had even noticed the current block in my Coupe is white.

So get yourself a can of Engine enamel in your chosen color, Mask off the machined areas such as where the head gasket and sump gasket go etc but dont be too worried about overspray as fresh engine enamel wipes off with a rag and some carby cleaner easy as until its been heat cycled (engine run a few times)
Posted Image

Follow the instructions on the can (typically shake for at least a minute after the ball rattles and do 2 light coats followed by a medium coat and leave to cure overnight) Ill emphasize the bit about shaking for at LEAST a minute, that goes for any spray can. You get a much better spray if its thoroughly mixed and when its around 25'c

Leave it overnight to cure (or the designated time stated on the can) and then remove the masking tape. The machine shop should have gotten most of the crap out but just to be sure fire up your compressor, using a blow gun stick it into all the holes you can find in the block and give them a blow out, you will be surprised at how much rust scale goes flying... keep at it until it seems all clear.
Posted Image

Now you want to protect the machined surfaces from flash rusting so grab a can of crc and give them all a nice coat. So thats areas like the top deck of the block, the bores, crank journals and sump gasket area etc.

Next we need to fit the welsh plugs (also known as core plugs) you would have gotten abit of over spray where they sit but just use a rag and spray some carby cleaner on it then wipe out the inside to remove any paint... make sure you clean it all off and there is no more paint coming off when you wipe it with the rag.
Posted Image

Then use some gasket goo, put a little bit on your finger and wipe a thin layer on the block where the welsh plug is going to sit, If you painted your block black use black goo... or if you painted it red you can use the red hi-temp goo... if you painted it pink... well thats your problem ;)

This pic shows a cleaned out welsh plug hole, then a hole with the goo applied and the last welsh plug fitted. G-series and 4Z's both use 5x 35mm plugs on the sides of the block and 1x 38mm plug on the rear of the block (you wont be able to get to the 38mm one at this stage while its on the stand but dont worry we will get it later)
Posted Image

Ok so you got your goo in the hole, Sit the plug in place then use a socket that fits snugly (23mm fitted nicely) as pictured with a Extension bar
Posted Image

Then use a large hammer and tap it in, being careful to make sure it goes in evenly, you can lean the bar slightly to one side to adjust it. Knock it in until the plugs are just below the face of the block like so.
Posted Image

Stand back and admire your work, I dunno why but Ive always liked the look of a freshly painted block with nice clean core plugs. Even 4cyls :P
Posted Image

Let the goo dry, usually about an hour and then fill a bucket with hot soapy water (dish washing detergent is fine) Be ready with some rags and some pipe brushes, I bought mine specifically for engine building but any generic ones will do.
Posted Image

I couldn't really think how to get a pic of the next bits, But I used a hose with a gun on the end and first sprayed it all down... the aim is to remove any left behind metal filings or even dust/dirt that may have gotten in there. so Give it a good spray out then use the brushes and scrub everywhere paying particular attention to the bores and use the little pipe brushes up inside all the oil gallery's then use the hose again and spray it out, Repeat until you are satisfied but work fast, as you don't want it to all start rusting...

Use clean lint free rags (I bought a big bag) and wipe it all down drying it as much as possible and then use the air-gun to make sure its dry... don't forget to blow into every hole as well. Concentrate on the machined surfaces first as they are they most important.

Now everything is clean and dry we want to protect it again, so get out the crc/wd40 and give all the bare metal surfaces a liberal coating.
Posted Image

Thats all im doing with the block for tonight, This goes for any time your not working on it. Use a new bin bag or something similar and cover up the whole motor to make sure nothing falls in and there is no dust contamination. Any sort of particles can cause serious damage to your motor.
Posted Image

---To be Continued---

Edited by Viper, 03 December 2011 - 11:11 PM.

#2 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

mine is wrapped in glad wrap....after a liberal coating of fresh motor oil and wd-40
will this work to?
or have i stuffed it?

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

I have had a machined up and oiled block in a garbage bag for 10yr still good to go.

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

Oh one question I do have... Since its going on straight gas, my gas tuner said to only use CRC/WD40 on the bore walls and pistons instead of oil because since there is no petrol to wash the bores of the oil the gas has a hard time bedding the rings in?

Sounds reasonable but worried it will cause scuffing etc? what do you think?

#5 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

Petrol is vaporised in the combustion chamber...
Where does the petrol wash the oil to that gas wouldn't?
I'm calling B/S on that theory.

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Washes it off the bore walls and then is burnt off? Normally the rings remove the oil but not untill they are bedded in and sealing properly... Or so I'm told...

#7 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sounds like a strange theory. Any oil that bypasses or is left over from assembly will be burnt.

Why don't you fit the core plugs before you put the block on the stand and paint it?

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Yea I think I'll stick with using oil

I don't fit the core plugs first because then they would be painted black, or you would have to carefully mask them up. Its no problem fitting them after? Just takes a wipe with carby cleaner which you should do anyway. I could have fitted the rear one first but doesn't really matter?

#9 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Just thought about the oil being burnt thing.... When the ignition fires the piston is around TDC so wouldn't it only burn off the very top section? Or is the flame as the piston travels down enough to remove it?

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

Why don't you want to paint the core plugs?

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Mount it onto a Engine stand...:

Were you using a condom?

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

Some people think nice shiny core plugs look good Andy??

I do, on a black engine. Any other color engine i think they should be painted.

Cheers.

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yeh personal preference, I prefer them non painted.

Hmm well I miked the crank and journals and came up with 3 thou clearance.... Double checked with some flexi gauge and yea 3 thou. Standard is 2 thou and the machine shop said I should be aiming for 2 thou.. ?! Manual says the limit is 0.0047" but still... Will call them tomorrow.

Should I be worried and have them regrind the crank and supply new bearings (currently 0.25mm oversize) or is 3 thou acceptable for a Turbo motor?

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

with a holden six where the crankshaaft likes to turn itself into a guitar sting moar is betterer, not sure about the lil four bangers though.

I

#15 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

with boost and rpm id say it would be ok.

is it your torque plate? they honed it with?

#16 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

A couple of comments - firstly it's great to see that you're taking cleanliness so seriously, especially of the bores and oilways. If you continue to be so meticulous with the assembly I'm sure it'll turn out well.
I'd be quite happy to run .003" on the mains, it's certainly not loose enough to warrant going to the next undersize.
As for the bore lube a WD type spray or the Sealed Power dry powder is pretty standard practice for performance engines; I use WD with no problems but to be honest I think modern ring packs will seal pretty quickly even if they are oiled. But really you should use whatever the ring manufacturer specifies.
Are these engines known for bore distortion as a result of deck stresses? I just ask because you mentioned a torque plate. With some engines they are absolutely essential but I'm sure they are also used on many others unnecessarily.

#17 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Johnno, every thing Ive read/watched has said cleanliness is next to godlyness and it makes sense so i'll keep it up, I even gave the garage a good clean out and sweep before I started.

So 3 thou seems ok then, I was just worried as the machinist said to expect about 2 - 2.5, Ill give him a call in the morning anyway and check. (he helped me with the design of the whole motor)

Umm I have not heard that these motors are notorious for bores warping under Torque but it didn't cost much extra so I thought why not? Torquing up bolts in the head wouldn't effect the crank tho would it?

Was hoping to check the rod clearances today as well but there was nothing in the box to say what to torque the ARP2000 bolts to, Id assume it would be more then standard, Have e-mailed the supplier, will also try contact them tomorrow.

Another side questions... why do alot of the time they quote torque's as say 100nm +/- 14nm I'm guessing this the acceptable range.. but what should I be setting my wrench to? 100? or 114? is it just to allow for slight inaccuracy's?

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

I would generally go for the middle range torque, unless somebody mentions a really good reason to set it to something else.

#19 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Before you just throw everything together you need to check and double check everything. Im using micrometers which are really sensitive and accurate gauges down to 0.0001" but most people wont have a set and they can be tricky to use. Next best thing is something called Plastigauge or Flexigauge. Its basically a exact diameter strip of wax-like material, that when squashed it will spread a certain amount and can then be measured easily with a Visual scale. It comes inside paper strips and will look something like this:
Posted Image

Ok so first we want to check the clearance between the main bearings and the crank.

To do that we need to fit the bearings, so get the bearings that were supplied by the machine shop and before you put them in the block check they are the right ones... sometimes there is mistakes and the wrong size bearings are in the box. so if the box says +0.25mm or +0.40" etc then check each bearing as you goto fit it and make sure it matches up. the size is usually engraved in the bearing itself.

Now you have the right bearings give them a wipe over to make sure there clean, do the same with the journals of the block, As with some motors including the G's & 4Z's there is two different bearing halves, 1 with a hole in it which goes into the block side and the hole matches up with the oil feel hole in the block and sometimes the other half is just solid and this goes into the main caps.

You will notice there is a little tang (small section sticking out which ive circled in red) on one side of the bearing, this has to match up with the indent in the block/main cap... Just sit the bearing in the journal and push it in like this:
Posted Image

Fit all 5 bearings to the mains in the block, Get your crank out and with the help of some carby cleaner wipe off the brown coating from the machine shop that's on the mains of the crank and then very carefully and gently lower the crank into the block
Posted Image

Cut off a strip of flexigauge about the width of the crank bearings, unfold the paper and place the little wax strip onto each journal of the crank like so.
Posted Image

Clean and fit all the bearings to the main caps and then carefully fit the caps over the crank and screw the main bolts in making sure they screw all the way down easily with your fingers and feel smooth... if there is too much resistance or it feels gritty and getting stuck then you need to clean out the threads on both the bolt and in the block (Its actually a good idea to run a chaser tap down every thread before you start)

Once you have all main caps on set your torque wrench to 30nm and Torque the main cap bolts using the following sequence.. also be very careful not to spin the crank at all otherwise it will just smear the plastigauge and you will get a false reading.
Posted Image

I know thats not from a gemini let alone a crank but its the same pattern, ill try find a more suitable pic later

Then set your wrench to 60nm and run through the pattern again. Then again at 100nm (this is your final Torque)

Grab a breaker bar and following the pattern in reverse undo each bolt, then carefully remove each main cap, making sure you don't turn the crank. You will be left with something like this:
Posted Image

Then use the wrapper from the flexigauge which has the scale printed on the side, place it over the strip left on the crank and the section on the scale that best matches the width of the strip on the crank shows you how many thou clearance there is between the crank and bearings. Your looking for about 2-3thou, with 4 thou being the limit. (For these motors)
Posted Image

Mine was just under 3thou (in the pic you can see its not quite squished enough to be 2thou)... Which is good, if you found it was squished wayyyy too wide or not at all then you may have the wrong bearings or the machine shop may have machined the crank wrong or if your checking a old motor, is simply worn out.

Now you know you have good clearance on the mains you could go ahead and fit the crank and Torque it all down properly. But I prefer to gap the rings first just because there is less chance of dropped dust/dirt down the bores and onto the crank. If its not there it cant get dirty...

Altho if your just doing a stock rebuild you could just fit standard rings, Its a good idea and will increase horsepower if you get oversize rings and File fit them to precise gaps.

The rings will usually come in a box... don't just pull them all out and get them mixed up, there is certain ones for the top rings and 2nd ring, The oil control rings are completely different. They will also come with some instructions, usually showing you which way is up but as a General rule there will be a marking on one side of the ring, be it a Dot, a T mark or anything. This is usually the Top and faces up towards the head.

Before we can Gap the rings we need to know how much gap we need right? So refer to the tech sheet that came with them and it will have something like this:
Posted Image

As you can see there is larger gaps for different applications. Thats because different setups create more heat which will cause the rings to expand more so you need larger gaps. I decided to use the "Street/Moderate Turbo/Nitrous" and the Gap for the first ring is the Bore size in inch multiplied by 0.005" (5thou) The machine shop can tell you or you can use a manual etc or measure the bore size yourself. I used my Dial Bore Gauge and came up with 3.661" which is exactly what the machine shop said it would be.

So for the Top rings its 3.661 x 0.005 = 0.0183" (18thou)

If I had of went for the "Circle Track / Drag Race" it would have been 3.661 x 0.0055 = 0.0201" (20thou)

Since mine is going to be used on the track and drags a fair bit I decided to go in between and aim for 19 thou Gap

To file the rings you can either use a fine hand file but Its abit tedious and well just a pain in the ass. If it was just a one off Id do it this way but if you think you might build a couple motors a Ring grinder is a good investment, I got mine from Summit Racing.

Posted Image
http://www.summitrac...rts/SME-906000/
http://www.summitrac...ing filer&dds=1

So we want 19thou gap... How do we check it? The bores should be coated with CRC/WD40 or oil already for rust prevention, but just make sure there not dry. Grab one of the top rings and slot it into the first bore, There is a couple ways to do it But I like to do it this way:
Posted Image

Push the ring in like that then just pivot it 90' and it will sit in the bore nicely.

Then grab one of the lower rings and fit it to one of your pistons into the lowest slot (where the oil control ring usually goes, read ahead to see how to fit the rings)
Posted Image

Sit the piston upside down onto of the ring you have in the bore.
Posted Image

Center the ring on the piston then push down, This will push the ring in the bore down a even amount into the cylinder nice and square
Posted Image

Pull the piston out and the Ring should be sitting in there like this:
Posted Image

Use some feeler gauges and find one that just fits in the slot. There was barely any gap on this ring and the 4 thou feeler gauge just fit. Pull the ring out and onto the ring grinder it goes (or hand file) All you have to do is place one side of the gap against the grinding face and hold a little pressure on it and then turn the handle. This was the first time I used this grinder so I did 5 turns, pulled the ring out and checked for any burrs (if you find any use a fine file and remove them, But this machine was pretty good and didnt create any) I then repeated the above steps and checked the gap again (Always putting it back into the same bore) It had only enlarged to 7thou. So back on the machine and did about 20 turns.... My point is you dont want to remove too much in one go... because if you go too far you cant put it back and unless it happens to be the right size for one of the other bores that ring is useless to you and you will need another.

This time I had 15thou gap
Posted Image

Back on the grinder and about 15more turns, checked it again and was just on 18thou, did about 5 more and was right on 19thou
Posted Image

Now do it all over again for each of the other bores... Be sure to keep them organized so you know which ring is for which bore. Anyway you can think of will work...
Posted Image

Only half way there tho... Repeat the same process for the 2nd rings keeping in mind there is a different gap as is shown in the instructions.. for me 3.661 x 0.0055 or 3.661 x 0.0057 = 20.1 - 20.8thou

You don't need to gap the oil rings, just make sure there is at least 0.015" (15thou)

#20 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

-Piston & Rod Assembly-

Next is piston and rod assembly, Most engines have Pressed in Wrist pins (The pin between the piston & the rod) where the pin is a interference fit on the rod and this needs to be done on a special machine and will be done at the machine shop. But for some high performance engines they use what is called "Full Floating Pistons" which means the Wrist pin is free to move on both the piston and the rod. These can be assembled and dis-assembled yourself.

Get the parts together (From top to bottom... Connecting Rod, Piston, Wrist pin, Wire locks)
Posted Image

My particular pistons use Wire locks to keep the wrist pin from falling out either side, there is various other methods but are usually fairly similar, Ill show you How I did mine.

First put the piston somewhere comfortable, for me I sat it in my lap. You can see the slot where the Wire lock needs to go
Posted Image

Sit one end of the wire lock into the groove about 90 degree's from the Indent like so.
Posted Image

The stick a small flat blade screwdriver into the indent, I was by myself and needed both hands to do the next step so couldnt really get a pic. But use one hand to put quite firm pressure pushing the wire lock into the hole and the other hand with the screwdriver to lever it over and compress it. This actually took me a few tries to get the knack of it.

Posted Image

It should end up like this
Posted Image

Then I stuck the wrist pin in the hole from the outside and gave it a firm tap with a rubber mallet against the installed wire lock to make sure its seated properly.

Now its time to fit the pin into the piston as well as the rod. First we need to apply some Assembly lube
Posted Image

Put a little on your finger and then wipe some on the bores of the piston where the pin will sit, on the pin itself and in the small end of the rods.
Posted Image

Slide the pin into the piston through the end without the wire lock and then through the rod and into the other side of the piston. Making sure the rod is facing the correct way (4Z's can go either way, But I like to face them all the same direction anyway)
Posted Image

Then once the pin is in simply fit the 2nd wire lock into the other side. Use a socket that will fit over the pin but small enough not to cover the wire locks and give it a firm tap with a rubber mallet like we did earlier to make sure the locks are seated.

Repeat for each piston.
Posted Image

#21 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

I like your method of checking the ring gap.

#22 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

It's the only way I've seen it done, is there another?

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

I remember when I was about 15 watching somebody check the ring gap on my bike. There wasn't a piston in sight.

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

LOL

#25 _double_d_

_double_d_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:58 PM