v8 block question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _boyracer@44_

_boyracer@44_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

where all the ht blocks a turbo pattern or does the m21 box have a different pattern. i am after a ht block for a m21 in a slr and have found one but it says turbo pattern so i am thinking there are different patterns.

#2 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

Yup different bellhousing patterns.

Aussie boxes/trimatic share a common bolt pattern (mostly early blocks)

and Turbo boxes etc have a different bellhousing bolt pattern (later blocks, injected motors etc)

:)

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

Theoretically they should all be aussie pattern not turbo pattern
As all HT blocks in Toranas had M21 or Treimatic shoved behind them
Except that one A9X hatch with the T400 box... but thats abit special and never seen the engine # on it to say its actually a HT

But I don't think I've ever seen this discussed before and happy to be proven wrong on this one if theres some legit info out there

#4 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Datto is right. Torana HT 308 blocks were all Trimatic pattern. This accomodated both the M21 and Trimatic. If one is being advertised as turbo pattern it would have either been redrilled to Turbo pattern or not a HT prefix block.

#5 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

whoops, didnt see the HT prefix part, obviosuly I was talking about 308 blocks in general.

#6 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

Red slur is correct as the turbo trans A9x built for Wayne Negus has and had a qt prefix and its been argued that the engine is not original but they just grabbed a suitable engine aalaa QT prefix turbo block

#7 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

Red slur is correct as the turbo trans A9x built for Wayne Negus has and had a qt prefix and its been argued that the engine is not original but they just grabbed a suitable engine aalaa QT prefix turbo block

That Motor & T400 apparently was not supplied by the factory. Mike Prous (spelling?) spoke about it once at a special club meeting I organised around 12-14 years ago. That car also recieved a long rang fuel tank for the long run back to WA, a trip that Mike was invited to go on.
I guess you (Outer Gear) was hidding behind the dunny door with one of your L34 posters. ;P

#8 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

I was at that meeting too that you arranged Baron. It doesn,t matter who supplied motor and trans whether it was holden or a Negus hottie no turbo trans were factory normal production torana blocks [t350-400] so would not have had a HT prefix. Sorry to have rattled your cage Baron (outer gear now in gear) Mr Prowse said he helped the afternoon production team make that tank out of 2 tanks cut and joined together . A most informed meeting that night and i consider myself one of a priveliged few that attended.

Edited by outer control, 27 December 2011 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users