LS2/3 into a VT commodore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to fit a LS2 or a LS3 into a VT commodore that currently has a LS1 so just a few questions.

Will a LS2/3 bolt straight up to the LS1 mounts?

G/box pattern the same and bolt straight up?

ECU and wiring the same? just need a retune (planning to go maffless anyway)

Exhausts the same? (by that I mean will a LS1 exhaust bolt straight on

Anything else that would need to be changed?

Thanks

#2 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Will a LS2/3 bolt straight up to the LS1 mounts? Yes

G/box pattern the same and bolt straight up? Yes

ECU and wiring the same? just need a retune (planning to go maffless anyway). No

Exhausts the same? (by that I mean will a LS1 exhaust bolt straight on). yes

The LS2 has different knock sensors, crank, and cam sensors and injector plugs plus the DBW throttle body. I think the coil packs also have a different wiring plug.

There are plenty of cable operated throttle bodies available UMI is one of the best.

You can buy adaptor harnesses for the cam sensor and injectors and extensions to fit the LS1 knock sensors on the block. If the coil packs are different then use the LS1 coil packs.

Depending on which version of the LS2 you have then there are two different types of reluctors on the crank. The HSV LS2 has a 24x reluctor which will work with the LS1 computer. The rest of the Holden LS2 engines have a 58x reluctor that is not compatible with the LS1 computer. The LS1 reluctor can be fitted but you have to pull the crank.

Talk to John Loyd at Street Quick Performance in Maddington. John will also be able to advise which LSX is best suited to the budget and performance required.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 16 January 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Step by step guide.
How to Install an LS2 in an LS1 car

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks again Andy

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

You will probably need to run a MAF when you go over the pits. The HSV LS1 was mafless so you can run a LS1 without a MAF, however the LS2 onwards all had MAFs.

If you attempt to register a LS2 without a MAF then you could be required to pass an emissions test which is difficult and expensive. It would be easier to remove the MAF after rego.

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

With reguards to the reluctor, if we had the 58 one could we just use a LS2 ecu and harness? or is it alot harder to go that way and would be easier to convert it back to ls1 spec

#7 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Oh and is the igntion system different between them? will the ls1 coils etc work...

And how about accessories, all the front pulleys and belts, alternator etc, will all the ls1 stuff bolt on to ls2/3?

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

My knowledge in this area is based on running a LS2 in a Torana with a LS1 ECU which is simpler than trying to run a LS2 in a car that had a factory LS1. I suspect that the BCM in the VT may be a problem. Splicing the LS2 engine harness into the VT harness will be time consuming.

I would talk to the following as they will have done it before.

Street Quick Performance
Sideshow Performance Wiring
LSX Works

This website will give you an idea of the price of conversion bits.
www.vcmstore.com.au/Holden/Electrical

I think the simplest/quickest way is to fit the LS1 coil packs, knock sensors, IAT, TPS and a UMI cable throttle body to the LS2. You can buy all the adaptors and harness extensions off the shelf to do the job. As far as I know the LS1 water pump, pulleys and alternator will bolt on. Going this way you could swap the engines on a weekend and then load a MAFless tune after rego. You could even put the LS1 back in if you want to sell the car and keep the engine.

I would price up both methods. Street Quick will supply and change the reluctor.

LS1 ECU

UMI Throttle body
LS1 knock sensors, IAT, TPS, Coil packs
Reluctor swap if required
Cam sprocket swap if required
LS1 Knock sensor extension harness
LS1 cam sensor extension harness
LS1 MAP sensor extension harness
LS2 Injector to LS1 harness adaptors
LS1 O2 sensors

Using LS2 ECU

LS2 ECU
LS2 TCM (if auto)
LS2 Accelerator Pedal
LS2 conversion harness
LS1 to LS2 OS sensor adaptors or new LS2 O2 sensors
Reprogramme BCM to talk to ECU (if possible)

#9 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

The biggest thing is he is most likely going to buy a crate LS2 or LS3 and they all seem to have the 58x reluctor / cam pulley and it seems a waste to tear down a brand new motor to change the reluctor wheel, which is why I thought it may be easier to use a LS2 ecu.

I guess it will depend on which motor he gets, I can pull the crank out but just means more expense for him so weighing up options, Ill talk to Street quick

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

It may also be worth exploring stroker options for the LS1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users