Repair Panels Supplier.

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#51 _BLOWN V6HATCH_

_BLOWN V6HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yeh, i wasn't really referring to the well being spot welded in. It just looks like the well has a fair few creases in it and isn't round like the original. I'm probably being a little picky, but if you're putting it in an original resto, you'd want it as close to 100% perfect as possible.

Having said that, it would certainly be better than trying to fix a rusty boot floor.

Edited by BLOWN V6HATCH, 18 August 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#52 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Yeh, i wasn't really referring to the well being spot welded in. It just looks like the well has a fair few creases in it and isn't round like the original. I'm probably being a little picky, but if you're putting it in an original resto, you'd want it as close to 100% perfect as possible.

Having said that, it would certainly be better than trying to fix a rusty boot floor.

No fair call does look a little bashed. The issue might be with the metal thickness. The originals were wafer thin. These are 1.2mm thick. I will suss Gav out about it.

#53 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Great to see Retro Rods expanding the Torana range. Will order one once he has them smoothed over in the wheel well.

#54 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Well BlownV6Hatch, you need to understand that most of that whole panel is pressed, and due to the amount of shrinking and stretching, the well would come out a little creased, but it is 99% rectified. Trust me, you will not get boot floors on the market anywhere near as close or as in good nick as they are.

#55 _BLOWN V6HATCH_

_BLOWN V6HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I understand that, but it just looks pretty rough to me. When you say it's been 99% rectified, do you mean since the pics that were posted or is that the rectified version that was posted? I know that you can't buy LH-X boot floors elsewhere, but that's no excuse to leave it rough looking in my opinion.

Here is a question, if you were restoring a genuine SLR 5000 and it had rust in the spare wheel well/boot floor, would you be happy to replace it with a well with creases in it? Can't say i'd be too thrilled about it.

For the record, i'm not trying to run down Retro Rods or it's products (i'll certainly be buying some sections from them in the future) as all the other products i've seen from them look spot on, i'm just voicing my opinion on this particular product.

#56 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Yeah mate I get what you are trying to say and my point was even if you got a repair section that is only 99% it is still better than having no section at all.

It looks to me that instead of spending a significant amount of time on a bead roller and a English wheel to make the shape and then spot weld it on, Gaven has just cut two slits to roll it around.

#57 tofly308

tofly308

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LX SS

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

Hey guys, has anyone had one of the coupe door skins fitted up yet to see how easy they are to fit and line up? Cheers

#58 SSAid

SSAid

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Adrian
  • Car:78LXSS

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

Has any one bought a floor as yet ? any feed back? They look good just may need to smooth out the well.

#59 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Has any one bought a floor as yet ? any feed back? They look good just may need to smooth out the well.

We need a volunteer.... I see rares are now selling them so they wouldn't be too bad as they would have to pass their QC process.

#60 _likatiger_

_likatiger_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

How well do the rad support panels fit? Have seen some chatter on here about some other brands that dont line up well without some mods to them.

#61 SSAid

SSAid

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Adrian
  • Car:78LXSS

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

We need a volunteer.... I see rares are now selling them so they wouldn't be too bad as they would have to pass their QC process.

True. Like any panel i guess they all need a little fine tuning. I will put my order in.

#62 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

They have a QC process?

#63 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

They have a QC process?

I hope so it is called the customer.....

#64 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

They have a QC process?

Must have DJ, Brad (Hanra ) appears to be the Chief inspector. :D

#65 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

I"ve done some close inspections and all of my winges/faults i have found thus far seem to go unnoticed and unfixed??

Cheers.

#66 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Rare Spares don't have QC, if you think they do you are kidding yourself.

As for their Rad Support, it's the closest fit out there.

Don't believe anyone has bought one as yet, but I would recommend buying straight from Gaven.

#67 _ryan350_

_ryan350_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

hey all, rang gavin about parts today for my lh, very good bloke to speak to, just wondering how you would compare his panels likes sills and lower rear 1/4 panels to rare spares panels? i need a fair few rust repair sections ie the ones for around the rear window and boot area ect... and total price was about $450 shipped. for only 3 or 4 items ( about half of what i need) from rare spares was a similar price!! i think his prices are great just want to know the quality of the parts as like said the prices are fantastic, cheers ryan

#68 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

hey all, rang gavin about parts today for my lh, very good bloke to speak to, just wondering how you would compare his panels likes sills and lower rear 1/4 panels to rare spares panels? i need a fair few rust repair sections ie the ones for around the rear window and boot area ect... and total price was about $450 shipped. for only 3 or 4 items ( about half of what i need) from rare spares was a similar price!! i think his prices are great just want to know the quality of the parts as like said the prices are fantastic, cheers ryan

Hey Ryan, I bought the Rear Beaver, the Rear Quarters, Front Rear 1/4's, some slight variations but overall pretty good. Had to change them a little bit, but nothing drastic, on the rear quarters I had to cut the lip off to change the angle of the boot floor lip. Rare Spares have a few stockists and only a couple are great fit up. Gaven is one of those, but at least you can talk to him directly.

#69 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Someone asked about the coupe door skins from Retro Rods?
Mine have just been fitted up. The guys have removed the black primer to replace it with a better product.

Attached Files

#70 _ryan350_

_ryan350_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hey Ryan, I bought the Rear Beaver, the Rear Quarters, Front Rear 1/4's, some slight variations but overall pretty good. Had to change them a little bit, but nothing drastic, on the rear quarters I had to cut the lip off to change the angle of the boot floor lip. Rare Spares have a few stockists and only a couple are great fit up. Gaven is one of those, but at least you can talk to him directly.

thanks for the reply tony! spoke to my mate the panel beater tonight that is doing the work and he is happy if he has to change bits here and there as it's bound to happen. At the end of the day if the products are on par with rare spares or close to i am happy as they are alot cheaper from gavin!

#71 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

They are one of the Rare Spares suppliers, so you are better off just buying from him.

#72 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

I used retro rods panels on my car, front low rad support, 2 lower rear quarters fit well but rear beaver needed a but of work to fit perfect, still recommend them and price is great

#73 _likatiger_

_likatiger_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Have they thought about making a replacement for the entire radiator support/headlight section for the LX? I think it might be a poosibility that he would sell a few. I know I would buy one as mine is bent from an accident the previous owner had and not sure if I can get it straight again.

#74 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

I could ask Jason, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#75 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hey mate how did he go with the plenum sections? Is he going to start making them? That would be cool :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users