Lj Electric dizzy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _lj7369_

_lj7369_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hey all just wanting some info on a future mod.
Just wondering wat components are needed to put in an electic dizzy into the lj, heard a while ago they are good for a few more ponies and get the misfire rate down. just wondering whether this is a worthwhile project to get into or whether its a waste of money and time. just put a new motor into the torry and have started to grow too fond to sell her now, just need to update her a bit.
any info/comments are much appreciated.
thnx. LJ7369

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

Are you having problems with your conventional dizzy? If its tired, mechanically, then perhaps upgrading to a VC-VK commodore Bosch dizzy would be worthwhile and you would notice the difference. Some folks report better idle smoother running etc, I suspect they were replacing a worn system.....for the difference to be that noticeable.
If there is nothing wrong with what you have now then youd be struggling to measure any difference below 5000rpm with a standard motor, this is not to say that there wont be differences in other applications.
Ive swapped some good points dizzies for brand new electronic ones and have noticed nothing different at all, same fuel economy.... the lot.
They are a better thing:
need no servicing.....though 5mins to replace and/adjust points every 6months is no big deal
better spark at high rpm

Disadvantages:
They can leave you stranded, defective module or pickup coil whereas points dizzies dont have these types of failures. I have left one of my UC's with points, I dont drive it and I dont want the person who is driving it to be stranded with a electronic ign failure........
Theyll cost money!
Though if you check out ebay, you could score yourself a complete coil, dizzy and leads for less than $50 which is good value compared to new prices.

#3 _lj7369_

_lj7369_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:00 PM

cheers for the info, seems better to leave it. hell if it aint broke dont mess with it.
thnx again.
LJ7369

#4 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

I changed my points dizzy for an electronic dizzy out of a VC - VK, mainly because i got it for nothing, and also because with my previous car (Mazda 808) i had so many problems with points. Every single time i broke down it was because the points had gone out of adjustment, or the points were pitted or the points were shorting or something like that. So because of that i hate points ignitions.

So in comparison to maybe devils experiences points have let me down heaps of times. I haven't been let down by the electronic dizzy in the LJ so far and i have covered probably around 80,000 ks with it.

I do think that the points problems i was having is mainly to do with the dizzy in the 808s so you probably won't have any problems with it in a Torana if they are adjusted properly.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users