#1 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

G'day all, it's time to start a new Torana project for all the family to drive & enjoy. When I restored the hatch the biggest expence was the body work, so this time we went out to find a perfect body and after 12 months of looking high and low we purchased a one owner LH. As we already have a hatch this one had to have four doors, and the new torrie was almost to good to pull apart, It has a genuine 83,000 km on it. The car was purchased from an old lady who purchased it new when she was fifty. She was no longer able to drive it as she said it was to heavy to steer, I didn't have the hart to tell her that I do power steering conversions and told her I would take good care of it. It broke me up when she started crying when we drove it down her driveway.

As my son is doing an apprentiship in panel beating (2nd year) between us we should be able to compleate the build in our shed and have it ready for when he gets his black licence in 15 months so he can drive It to.

We have used the LH a bit since we bought it and taken her to a few shows and won a trophy for best original, but gets boring driving a stocker after a while so it's time to pull it off the road and turn it into a nice SLR5000 with an injected 5.0lt & six speed manual with all the mod cons. So over the last 12 months I have started collecting most of the parts needed for the build.

I hope some members will enjoy the thread and may help me along the way, and just maybe we can all learn something. I tend to think outside the box.

Lenny.

Attached File  121 - Copy.JPG   383.93K   52 downloadsAttached File  128 - Copy.JPG   337.71K   50 downloadsAttached File  115 - Copy.JPG   42.22K   44 downloads

#2 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

that is very clean, looks like a great score!

#3 _WantOneNow!_

_WantOneNow!_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

WOW What a rare find! They sure don't make 'em like they used too.

#4 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Now thats what i call a real survivor! should make an excellent base for an LH SL/R project. What year model is it?

#5 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Nice score Lenny and if it turns out anything like your hatch it will be a gem.

A friend of mine had bought what looks exactly like this car a little over 12 months ago and was mint for $4000, i couldnt believe the car was so good inside and out but unfortunately sold it back to them 6 months later before i could get my hands on it :(

#6 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

*suscribed*

#7 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Got her up on stands today, out with the old and in with the new. I put new bearing, gaskets & seals through the engine and sat it in the engine bay to do a pre fit before stripping out the engine bay for paint. The engine is out of a VS HSV clubsport. If anyone needs a compeate173 & trimatic with 83,000 km on them I am open to offers before I put them on ebay.

Attached File  slr engine - Copy.jpg   28.42K   43 downloads

Attached File  176 - Copy.JPG   30.27K   39 downloads

Attached File  182 - Copy.JPG   354.41K   42 downloads

I have decided to go 6pk serpentine belt system to run the additional accesories, air con & power steering pump. The alternator wouldn't fit in it's original VS position so I will have work out a new bracket system.

Attached File  192 - Copy.JPG   354.14K   44 downloads

#8 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

That engine and box look in real good condition for an old car..even the fuel pump looks almost like new..the rest of this car must be in great condition so jealous.

#9 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

G'day AD_75 the car is a 1975 build. I carn't believe how good the drive line is, the car drove like new and it was a shame to rip it out, it was the first time out since Holden fitted it on the assembly line.

Any one know how much the engine & Trimatic is worth these days, the radiator,tailshaft, alternator, starter motor the lot will go with it. ?

I finished specking up the gearbox today ready to do a trial fit next time I get a chance.

Brand new Tremec T56 Magnum close ratio box, they rate them at 700 hp so I reckon I the wife or even the kids will never break it with this engine,
They come standard with duel speedo pick ups (cable & electronic) same as the TKO series Tremec's.
The shifter will be in the same position as the aussie 4 speed.

The gearbox worked out $6,000 cheaper than Mal woods price, got it direct from Summit racing. The price included shipping it to my door.

Attached File  174 - Copy.JPG   335.01K   47 downloads

Attached File  175 - Copy.JPG   34.89K   39 downloads

#10 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

This is a build project not to miss,

If your car is anything to go by this is going to be one hell of a car

looking for to seeing it,
cheers
tony

#11 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Got some time today to reposition the alternator & modify brackets. I mechined the crank pulley to suit the Holden harmonic balencer, now the three pulleys are all aligned. The power steering pump is aligned but need to finish the mount bracket but need to get a new new Sanden A/C compressor with 6 rib pulley to compleate the setup, I should only need to run one serpentine belt to drive all accesories and one idler/adjusting pulley. I will then pull it apart and reco the pump & alternator and fit the new 6 rib P/S pump pulley to match the rest.

It's got to be better than running 3 v belts they suck & draw much more power from the engine.

Attached File  001 - Copy.JPG   384.21K   42 downloadsAttached File  003 - Copy.JPG   35.7K   39 downloads

Attached File  004 - Copy.JPG   32.02K   37 downloads

Attached File  005 - Copy.JPG   347.67K   38 downloads

#12 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hi Axistr, I have the same box in mine, you can get a plate to remove the reverse shut out solinoid. Total a waste of time and makes the tunnel mods a bit easier. The box needs to sit high for then correct angle so a new tunnel will be required, not a big deal, most people use a VL Commodore top section ect. Also Mallwood sells a bullet for the speedo drive, that has the Ford drive gear with the standard powerglide, turbo 350 cable end. Found that it was good to also get the right angle speedo cable adapter, stops the cable bending excessive, also access was much better.

#13 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks myss427, the next thing to mock up will be the transmission. I have got the engine to sit very low and with basic mesurments the output shaft of the tremec should sit very close to that of the original trimatic's output shaft. I was hoping to only do minor mods to the tunnel, and as you have suggested I will remove the lockout solonid to give me the extra clearance. I also have a speedo cable the same as my hatch with the Tremec TKO and was also hoping it will be a direct fit.

Thanks for the heads up.

Lenny.

#14 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Love ya work Lenny! :spoton:

Also I can't believe how much coin you saved on that transmission! How much do they cost through Mal Woods?

#15 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

G'day Harvey, the brand new box from Summit racing cost me $3,800 delivered air freight to my door plus the bellhousing which set me back $250 & clutch cost $385. Mall wood quoted me $10,000 for same plus freight. It just makes me think what Mall must pay for them being a Tremec dealer. Don't get me wrong everyone has to earn a living, but he is a bit over the top.

Lenny,

#16 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Due to local floods it gave me some time to do a bit more on the car, almost finished the serpentine belt system, trial fitted the gearbox, fitted the cooling fans & sorted the fuel pump and level sender.

Attached File  007 - Copy.JPG   324.1K   42 downloads

Attached File  009 - Copy.JPG   337.45K   55 downloads

Attached File  018.JPG   270.66K   41 downloads

Attached File  179 - Copy.JPG   33.42K   38 downloads

#17 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

V8 Holden with serpentine belt system,Attached File  010 - Copy.JPG   385.77K   40 downloads

#18 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

Nice. keep up the great work.
Phillip

#19 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

What did you do to fit the gearbox, looks like you have not touched the tunnel? Mine sits way higher, did you lower the engine to get that angle?

#20 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

G'Day myss427, I got the engine to sit low, the output shaft of the transmission sits 20mm lower than the standard trimatic so I still have a reasonable tailshaft angle. I will drop the pinion down a bit with adjustable top control arms which will make the front and rear working angles close to even. Going by my measurments I should have a 1/2 degree at the front uni and 3/4 rear uni static. I checked the original drive line angle with my angle indicator and come up with 2 1/2 front uni & 3 1/4 rear. (working angles)

I didn't cut the tunnel and the transmission shift housing (rear section) sits very high up in the hole cut out. The rear of the shift housing shift rail casting sits 10mm from the main tunnel floor stiffener cross section. The T56 Magnum box fits much better than you standard commodore or Ford versions. I wouldn't have been able to put one of those without cutting the tunnel. The Magnum gear shift leaver is in the same position as an ozzie 4 speed setup so the console can remain standard.

Lenny.

#21 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

You have have saved a lot of work, looks great. With mine the sump is way to close to the steering rack so i had to lift it 10mm which meant cutting tunnel etc. Yes, love where the shifter comes out, perfect.

#22 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

Looks good Lenny.
Great choice on the box and cheap for what you get.

With our Magnum we did the same (no cutting/mods needed) as we mounted the engine low. But this is also because we needed bonnet clearance for the blower. Why anyone would deal with Mal or his prices is way beyond me. I rang him and you would swear he was going out of his way and doing you a big favour by buying from him !!! WTF

Buy everything from the USA and get some real service. (except one of Lennys Racks of course)

For US$2700 + $500 airfreight your new magnum is on your doorstep in under a week. The magnum has multiple shifter locations which land it right where the old all aussie M21 shifter was. Awesome shifting very direct and ultra tough, its is nothing like the cheap nasty shifting oem versions of the T56. Its also a stronger and better shifting box than the best 6060 (zr1). In stock form without tweeks we are putting 675 HP @ 7000 Rpm and 615 FtLbs @ 4500 Rpm into it via a ceramic twin disc (1100ftlbs capable) and ultra light billet aluminium flywheel

#23 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

WOW LXSS350 they are good numbers, what angles did you end up with the drive shaft.

P.S One of the first items I got for her was the power steering rack. Got it very cheap.

Lenny.

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Lenny its become a never ending nightmare. Sill rough setting it all up so nothing is final yet. It sort of landed where we could fit it. We cant go lower because of the dry sump pan/rack clearance and can't go higher because of the Eaton supercharger/bonnet clearance.

We have a fully adjustable rear roll centre on the chassis mount watts linkage and its held in by a fully adjustable three link system. Being coilovers all round the ride height is fully adjustable. We are just running the engine factory stock with slight tweaks on the computer, but we can go to 800Hp @ 13psi boost with pulley changes. Idles like any std dunnydore and has no supercharger whine at all. Impressed with the build quality.

I thought you might have found a cheap rack. Funny what you find homeless and just laying around LOL

Ours is just getting dusty and buried by the growing collection of parts. :nopity:

It will get a full trial assembly, road/track tested for faults then once happy get the rotisserie bare metal strip treatment before its finally ready for primetime i.e. assembled - 2 pac painted and detailed. Will send you some pics inc rack mounted when we get organised but its all a bloody big mess atm and having a camera just has not been a priority.

Edited by LXSS350, 17 March 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#25 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

At last I compleated the accesories drive system. I still have one drive pulley on the crank to run a little vortec compressor if I get bored with the engine power in the future.

Also finished the fuel tank pump assembly.

Attached File  2012-03-18_11-56-49_779 - Copy.jpg   89.34K   28 downloadsAttached File  2012-03-18_11-57-02_367 - Copy.jpg   86.33K   27 downloads

Attached File  2012-03-18_13-06-27_452 - Copy.jpg   77.37K   25 downloadsAttached File  2012-03-18_13-06-37_331 - Copy.jpg   67.21K   27 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users