LH L34 Torana Production Volumes

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 _van1976_

_van1976_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi Guys,

I am after info regarding the Production Volumes of the 1974 LH L34 Torana's in each color made. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Dennis.

#2 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Chrome Yellow was No1
Barbados Green i think was No2

#3 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

I don't believe actual figures exist, but the above seems correct.
I fair number were also produced in white too I believe.

Grant..

#4 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

I pretty sure I know where I can lay my hands on the total production figure, but it does not have TRIM line records as it'll be from the same type of source as the LC/LJ Service/Warranty records.

#5 kerm74

kerm74

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

263 cars made. Dont think anyone knows colour breakdown. From what I have seen barbados was the most common (and the best!). Others inlcude: black, azure (blue), chrome yellow, red (of some sort), sebring (orange), saffron (orange) monteray (dark green), white and nodoubt the list goes on.

#6 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

263 is the figure that has always been touted but i have never personally seen any official gmh documents to prove or verify such a amount...263 to 280 cars built has always been thrown around,..nobody actually knows a 100%,..in recent times some people have made reference to the quoted figure given in AMC magazine as gospel but i personally don't buy it the figures that is...
i've owned over a dozen L34s myself and had a hand in purchasing another 8 or so cars over a 28 year period and also in that time done a lot of work for car yards on parramatta rd who were selling them ...
i've seen and had all the popular colours such as chrome yellow,barbados green,salamanca red and had a factory ordered mandarin red,burgundy and so forth...the other colours you guys mentioned are correct basically the whole 1974 colour range that was used on the SLR5000s...
for quiet some time i've told about a factory ordered L34 which was built for john harvey as a auto and plated as such by a very reilable source who tells in time i will see it..Looking forward to be proven wrong and perhaps totally surprised..

#7 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

MMM burgundy would be nice..:)

#8 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Theres 1 that colour or very similar, closer to you than you ever imagined Mark.....................

#9 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

seen a silver one

#10 _van1976_

_van1976_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thanks Guys, Does anybody no if one was made in Contessa Gold.

Regards, Dennis.

#11 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Dennis , if i remember correctly Norm's new book will have 17 or so pages on the L34 . I would be surprised if the info you seek is not in the book.

Laz

#12 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:25 AM

Regards, Dennis.

Yep, there sure was ( At least 2 that I know of, and one of them was owned by Unclefestal34. What he doesnt know about L34's, just isnt worth knowing ).

#13 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Regards, Dennis.

yes there was,.. i owned one about 12 years ago which went to tassie then qld then to wagga i think a forum member gero still has it...from memory only 2 made in gold..but stand to be corrected..

#14 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

MMM burgundy would be nice.. :)

that burgundy car i still have,..it still has 81,oooks on the clock when i first got bought it was resprayed a very dark red,been stored since 89...its a track pack car that was being prepp as a race car back in its day,was fitted with the big winged sump,holley,oil cooler,solid lifter camshaft etc.. i've just about completed a full resto on it will be finished this year some time..

#15 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

When you say Track Pack, is that the HO option?

#16 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

When you say Track Pack, is that the HO option?

yes that's right

#17 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

This ones is a HO. Not sure what colour that is?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by hanra, 29 January 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#18 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

I can confirm that I owned a Contessa Gold L34 over here in the West. Many years ago as a young farmers son with open roads and not much traffic, what a joy to drive! There is a "Burgundy" or Claret Metallic car here in the West awaiting resto.

#19 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

that burgundy car i still have,..it still has 81,oooks on the clock when i first got bought it was resprayed a very dark red,been stored since 89...its a track pack car that was being prepp as a race car back in its day,was fitted with the big winged sump,holley,oil cooler,solid lifter camshaft etc.. i've just about completed a full resto on it will be finished this year some time..

Very keen to see pics when you are finished. Lovely colour.
What interior is it?

#20 _van1976_

_van1976_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, unclefestal34s & Got1UR1. I will introduce my self first. My name Dennis Andersen of Aussie Muscle Model cars in Western Sydney I am a small retailer. I have been given a opportunity from Biante Model cars to have a 1:18 Scale model of a LH L34 Torana made for me. But I am not keen on the color they have offered me (Sunburst Gold) which Yes was made in a L34 But was more of a HQ color. I am keen on the Contessa Gold because I no the color run from 1974 to 1977 and the Bungundy sounds good as well and would be interested to see the trim it came with would you guys have photo's of these L34's. As for getting any model made I have to prove to biante that these cars did exist.

Just for the record I have 3 Toys in the Garage LX SS Torana ( A9X Look-a-Like 355 VN Group A Injected), VK SS Group A Blue Meanie & a HX Sandman van that was in Street Machine Magazine some years ago Sept 2003.

I very much appreciate ever one's feedback.

Regards, Dennis.

#21 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

Heres my fav color L34, i wonder if many were done in this color? i plan to build a replica based on this one day.

Posted Image

#22 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

Very nice, Looks to be Sable Metallic.

#23 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

263 is the figure that has always been touted but i have never personally seen any official gmh documents to prove or verify such a amount...263 to 280 cars built has always been thrown around,..nobody actually knows a 100%,..in recent times some people have made reference to the quoted figure given in AMC magazine as gospel but i personally don't buy it the figures that is...
i've owned over a dozen L34s myself and had a hand in purchasing another 8 or so cars over a 28 year period and also in that time done a lot of work for car yards on parramatta rd who were selling them ...
i've seen and had all the popular colours such as chrome yellow,barbados green,salamanca red and had a factory ordered mandarin red,burgundy and so forth...the other colours you guys mentioned are correct basically the whole 1974 colour range that was used on the SLR5000s...
for quiet some time i've told about a factory ordered L34 which was built for john harvey as a auto and plated as such by a very reilable source who tells in time i will see it..Looking forward to be proven wrong and perhaps totally surprised..

263 is the confirmed number, counted off the build records. These are factory assembled cars. Doesn't include cars built from spare parts for race cars etc (if any exist). There was no mention of an auto car amongst the 263 so it may also have been a dealer done thing.

#24 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

There was no mention of an auto car amongst the 263 so it may also have been a dealer done thing.

I think that the any L34 automatic would be like the Wayne Negus A9X automatic where the conversion was carried out post-production, by either the HDT workshop or the GM-H service garage.

Dr Terry

#25 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I wonder about the Negus car... since it would have needed a different (Turbo pattern) block to convert to auto
The word I heard was the car was assembled at the factory at his request

That sable L34 does look good

Though if I had permission to build a car with Biante I'd be getting them to make Litre8
I asked them numerous times but they said there wouldn't be a market for it... WTF ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users