LH into UC - Auto Gearbox / Shifter / Console ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _Bec_Torana_

_Bec_Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Picked up a UC Sunbird (yes.. hiss boo for-shame!) - however, ripped out the Starfire/Auto combination and bolted in a 173 Red with Auto from a LH.

All went fine until we realised the shifter linkages were on the opposite sides (UC linkages on the passenger side, LH on the drivers side) - so naturally, the UC Shifter & Linkage was not going to work.

Picked up a LH Auto Shifter & Linkage which runs down the Drivers side. However - it seems that the LH shifter sits more further back, and the pivot point for the T-Bar is lower than the UC - and as such, does not fit correctly under the UC Centre Console.

Questions I have is: will a LH Auto Centre Console fix my issues? Will the Centre Console from an LH fit into a UC (considering I have the LH Shifter already in). Will there be issues with the handbrake with a LH Centre Console? Is there a better/easier way to hook this gearbox up with the UC shifter?

#2 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

First up, congratulations on buying a UC. That is one less QUALITY Torana that will be used to fix up rusted old LH\LX shit boxes. So well done on that account.

Secondly, welcome to the forum.

As for your questions, I have NFI LOL :D

Nah, I sort of do have half an idea. I dont think a full length LH console is going to work with the UC hand brake. Im not sure of the mounting points either. My UC only has the console from the handbrake back as I have a B&M shifter installed. My LH being a column shift doesnt have a console at all (which makes storing a mobile phone and stubby a bit hard, still possible but) however my LX does and there is no way a proper handbrake is going to work with the console unless major surgery is employed.

As for customising the shifter to suit the console, I dont know however I am sure more knowledgable folk will be happy to answer that one.

Cheers,

T

EDIT - What are doing with the starfire and auto? I have a vague recollection of someone in the QLD Torana Club looking for one if you are thinking of selling\chucking.

Edited by Big T, 28 January 2012 - 11:33 PM.

#3 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

i remember a mate telling me you can change the lh shifter rod with the early ones
(ie make them rh shift)
so i assume you can retro fit the commie one in....making it a lh shifter position again...

#4 _Bec_Torana_

_Bec_Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Big T.. The UC (while not popular) is in pretty good condition, and was at the right price. Thanks for the welcome :)

The Starfire/Auto unfortunately had to go already. We did the engine/box conversion at a mates place and had no room for the Starfire/Auto to hang around. Even though it ran perfectly - we pulled a few spares off it and dumped the rest at the tip... (didn't think they would be sought after at all)

Quagmire - I am trying to get the shifter to be "LH/LX right-hand" instead of "UC/Comm left hand". I've had a look at the UC shifter, and there doesn't seem to be any way you can change the sides of the UC shifter. What does a Commodore shifter look like (And what model?? VB? VC?) - The commodore shifter won't just bolt in will it? I'm pretty sure the Commodores had a big oval plate that bolts on whereas the Torana ones are small square type.

I'll see if I can put some pics up to show what I mean.

#5 _68 GTO_

_68 GTO_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

First up, congratulations on buying a UC. That is one less QUALITY Torana that will be used to fix up rusted old LH\LX shit boxes. So well done on that account.

GOLD!

Welcome to another UC owner, put pics up the Magical UC register for us all to enjoy :-)

#6 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Big T.. The UC (while not popular) is in pretty good condition, and was at the right price. Thanks for the welcome :)

The Starfire/Auto unfortunately had to go already. We did the engine/box conversion at a mates place and had no room for the Starfire/Auto to hang around. Even though it ran perfectly - we pulled a few spares off it and dumped the rest at the tip... (didn't think they would be sought after at all)

Quagmire - I am trying to get the shifter to be "LH/LX right-hand" instead of "UC/Comm left hand". I've had a look at the UC shifter, and there doesn't seem to be any way you can change the sides of the UC shifter. What does a Commodore shifter look like (And what model?? VB? VC?) - The commodore shifter won't just bolt in will it? I'm pretty sure the Commodores had a big oval plate that bolts on whereas the Torana ones are small square type.

I'll see if I can put some pics up to show what I mean.

the rod on the box that's the thing i ment......then you can use you uc shifter and console again...

#7 _Bec_Torana_

_Bec_Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Can the shift rod in the box be swapped sides?

#8 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Even though it ran perfectly - we pulled a few spares off it and dumped the rest at the tip... (didn't think they would be sought after at all)

Which tip? I dont mind going for a scab LOL

#9 _Bec_Torana_

_Bec_Torana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

Dakabin. In the Metal Scrap pile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users