Pastic seat back trim for LX

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

Is there any call on the rear plastic seat trim for LX Torana�s at about $120.00

#2 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

Les

I would say that you would not have any trouble selling these...

Just look at the price that this went for!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com......AMEDW:IT&rd=1

I take that it's these that you're talking about. You might want to get some feedback about colours other than black to make them in.

I hope that you guys do decide to make these..

cheers
Mick

#3 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

Les

I would say that you would not have any trouble selling these...

Just look at the price that this went for!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com......AMEDW:IT&rd=1

I take that it's these that you're talking about. You might want to get some feedback about colours other than black to make them in.

I hope that you guys do decide to make these..

cheers
Mick

Mick
That�s the part I am talking, I hope we make the as well but it�s a big commitment.
Les

#4 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

Hey Les

I can understand that these would be a large committment. So what sort of units do you consider when you are making something like this??

I know, that even though I have a set of NOS ones for the rebuild, I would buy a back up set as with everything plastic, it can, and will break!!

here's hoping

cheers
Mick

#5 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hey Les

I can understand that these would be a large committment. So what sort of units do you consider when you are making something like this??

I know, that even though I have a set of NOS ones for the rebuild, I would buy a back up set as with everything plastic, it can, and will break!!

here's hoping

cheers
Mick

Mick
We look at what price we think we can sell a part for then we look at how many we think we can sell, we balance this against the cost and a return over a period depending what the product is. Some products take years to show a return but some times you just have to make them or the cars are off the road and we lose customers and fewer products get made (catch 22)

#6 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

120 bucks sounds fair,just try and find a torana with good plastics,very hard to do.Eastern upholstery make these out of fibreglass and charge $180 for a pair.Much rather have plastic ones though.

#7 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

120 bucks sounds fair,just try and find a torana with good plastics,very hard to do.Eastern upholstery make these out of fibreglass and charge $180 for a pair.Much rather have plastic ones though.

Keep the info coming , this one is going to take some pushing to get made

#8 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:21 AM

making them available in units of one could b the go also. I want 1 (note thats want not need!!). I am missing one but seat cover covers this area and I actually tend to forget about it.

#9 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:39 AM

$120 a pair seems OK.... that IS a pair, isn't it Les?

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

I'd get a set and I know all our club members would get at least one set. Mick, they were all black originally, like the consoles, the colours were just painted on. I think Rares would be better off doing it the same way, cuts down on cost and you can get the colour painted on you want.

#11 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:30 AM

Mick, they were all black originally, like the consoles, the colours were just painted on.

That's interesting Mick because it was your car that I was thinking of when I wrote it. So they just painted them hey?

Oh well, that'll make it easier for Les..

I somehow can't see these NOT selling..

cheers
Mick

#12 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Les,

Reality check.

But if they are as bad as the battery tray I got, you will have trouble off loading them.

Check that quality.

(Puts of flame suit)

Edited by The Baron, 01 June 2006 - 11:34 AM.

#13 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:01 PM

I think these would sell quicker than iced glazed donuts at a police convention.

Not many Toranas I know have the plastic backing still in one piece!

#14 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:14 PM

$120 a pair seems OK.... that IS a pair, isn't it Les?

No $120.00 each

#15 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

Les,

Reality check.

But if they are as bad as the battery tray I got, you will have trouble off loading them.

Check that quality.

(Puts of flame suit)

If you like I will send you another one as we have had no real complaints except they appear to be brittle but our manufacture says the are similar material to original

#16 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:27 PM

I thought it would have been $120 for one,its still very good price if you can make it out of plastic and make it of good quality as close to the original as you can.I will be on the market for a set of thos for my torana SS soon so if you make these in good quality by than I will certainly buy a set from rares.Like I said before,its almost impossible these days to find a torana with those plastics intact and if someone is trying to restore their machine to original I'm sure most of us would consider your trims.

#17 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

The original trims used to break the top clips off. We fixed heaps under warranty which involved putting a self tapping screw through each top corner. If RS can make repros that don't break like the original they would be a big improvement.

#18 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

I thought it would have been $120 for one,its still very good price if you can make it out of plastic and make it of good quality as close to the original as you can.

I would have thought the technique for making 'better' plastics would have advanced past the stage of the original ones which obviously were too brittle and tend to breakand crack especially at the corners.

I know nothing of plastics so this is just my thought.

Herne

#19 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

I would buy a set no worries at $240 if they were good quality and not brittle. I would not buy a set if I thought they may break or did not look original not at $240 anyway.....

Regards
Duck05

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

I have to say Baron Von Dark is right, they need to be correct otherwise it's a waste of time. I'd rather pay $200 for a correct one than $120 for something thats half way to close. I think the stuff Rares have been doing of late, since LES started asking our opinions has been well done, but some of the other stuff (sorry mate, the steering wheels still bug me, I want a new one and would happily pay $500 for a correct one but I won't pay $300 for something thats not right) hasn't been as good.

#21 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

The seat back will be correct and should work as original, sorry but you will be waiting for a long time before we remake the sports steering wheels the cost would be prohibitive at this stage, but you never know the future.

#22 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

We have ordered the tooling for the LX seat back they will have a stronger mounting point where the metal clip goes

#23 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

I can confirm the brittleness of the originals. Mine started to break off the upper "tags" within at most 12-18 months from new.

I think the problem is the seat back frame would flex but the design of the seat frame panel made it more rigid so it put very high stress on the upper and lower mountings.

#24 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

The seat back repair was a common warranty job, which in those days was 12 months or 20,000 kms.

#25 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

The seat back will be correct and should work as original, sorry but you will be waiting for a long time before we remake the sports steering wheels the cost would be prohibitive at this stage, but you never know the future.

Les, if you ever do get to change the wheels, you can put me head of the line for one thanks mate lol. :D I'd love to see the seat backs too, do you have a new one to copy? They were revised in early 77 because they kept breaking, the later ones were a little more solid, but still managed to break. I think we need a support made for the seats too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users