51 replies to this topic

#26 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

I overcame the seat back braking problem years ago by attaching a masonite piece to the back ot the seat frame. It was commonly done. The masonite was held on by self tappers and flexed enough to still be comfortable but stopped the ABS plastic of the proper backs having too much force applied.

#27 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

what is the actual time frame for these???

#28 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

Les, if you ever do get to change the wheels, you can put me head of the line for one thanks mate lol. :D I'd love to see the seat backs too, do you have a new one to copy? They were revised in early 77 because they kept breaking, the later ones were a little more solid, but still managed to break. I think we need a support made for the seats too

Thank but we managed to get a couple of NOS ones

#29 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Hopefully about 4 Months

#30 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

Guys

as a "fix" for the seat back problem, I will tell you what I will be trying...

The problem, as I see it, is that when you sit in the seat there is nothing stopping the foam in the seat from bowing out and putting pressure on the plastic seat back. This is what causes the stress that breaks the plastic pins.

What I am doing is to pop rivet a piece of 25 x 2.5mm flat steel to the seat frame so that it will take most of the stress. I am also looking at "velcro'ing" the lower edge of the plastic seat back so that if pressure is forced on it, it will come away from the seat without breaking..

that's the plan anyway

cheers
Mick

#31 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:22 PM

I am also looking at "velcro'ing" the lower edge of the plastic seat back so that if pressure is forced on it, it will come away from the seat without breaking..

that's the plan anyway

cheers
Mick

That may be a good idea for our new ones

#32 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

Hopefully about 4 Months

make that about 6 weeks if all goes well

#33 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

I am also looking at "velcro'ing" the lower edge of the plastic seat back so that if pressure is forced on it, it will come away from the seat without breaking..

that's the plan anyway

cheers
Mick�

That may be a good idea for our new ones

:spoton: I'm glad you like the idea, Les...

QUOTE (GML-31 @ Jul 8 2006, 08:43 PM)
what is the actual time frame for these???�

Hopefully about 4 Months�

make that about 6 weeks if all goes well

good stuff!! I will be putting my NOS set away...

cheers
Mick

Edited by sstorana, 14 July 2006 - 09:12 AM.

#34 _Eagle_

_Eagle_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:54 PM

Great stuff Les, I'm up for a set when they're done :D

#35 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

I might be up for a set of these too, that way I won't have to use the NOS ones

#36 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

Seat backs will be available by the end of next week

#37 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

Good Stuff!!

any part numbers Les??

cheers
Mick

#38 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

Good Stuff!!

any part numbers Les??

cheers
Mick

#39 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 06 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

well done...and ahead of schedule

Edited by GML-31, 06 September 2006 - 01:04 PM.

#40 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:48 PM

just ordered two so should have them later this week. I'll let you all know of the quality..

#41 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

These are on ebay already

#42 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:02 AM

I have just received my new seat backs. For all those interested, they are of a very good quality. About 9/10. A few very small casting blemishes that are not very obvious. Well done Les..Good enough for my old girl..

#43 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

I have just received my new seat backs. For all those interested, they are of a very good quality. About 9/10. A few very small casting blemishes that are not very obvious. Well done Les..Good enough for my old girl..

Thanks
I will take that as a pass

#44 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:28 PM

Les

Sorry to be negative, but I finally got around to fitting those reproduction LX seat backs and after just two drives with them fitted, this was the result.

https://cache.gmh-to...ry/P1010063.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...ry/P1010064.jpg

The fit was great and the finish was very acceptable however, after just two drives with them fitted to have them totally useless is a concern. The tabs are not durable at all. I am not a particularly heavy person (85kg) and I am very careful with the way I treat my car. Both passenger and driver ones have broken. Thought that I would mention it to you. Have you had any other reports of the same problem?

Cheers

Gerry

Edited by Redslur, 07 January 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#45 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

the top tangs are plastic?? No wonder they broke. The Holden ones were metal, but they used to break away and the Holden fix was to drill holes and fit screws until early 77 when they were revised and made from stronger material. If it was me I would be making them from the same setup as Holden, but making the metal slightly softer so they will bend rather than break the seat back. I made a few about 6 years ago in that fashion and they worked perfectly. Put too much weight on them and the metal tab bent rather than break.

#46 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

One mod is to install metal bar(s) to stop the foam pushing out the plastic back.

Or install them with velcro so they can detach without breaking.

#47 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

Thanks guys, some good ideas there. I have already worked out how I would fix them, I guess the point remains that to spend over $100 each and have them break after having driven the car twice is a bit of a concern. I have since learned that it has happened to someone else too...

Like I said though, I am not one to be negative, I think that Les would like to know though. Every other Rares product I have purchased has been good..

#48 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:56 PM

I was about to go and buy a set of these too, damn.

#49 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

the way i solved the problem of them wanting to keep popping of the back was to insert a piece of ply,(i think i used 8mm) in between the foam and the plastic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,worked a treat.......Cheers

#50 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Les

Sorry to be negative, but I finally got around to fitting those reproduction LX seat backs and after just two drives with them fitted, this was the result.

https://cache.gmh-to...ry/P1010063.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...ry/P1010064.jpg

The fit was great and the finish was very acceptable however, after just two drives with them fitted to have them totally useless is a concern. The tabs are not durable at all. I am not a particularly heavy person (85kg) and I am very careful with the way I treat my car. Both passenger and driver ones have broken. Thought that I would mention it to you. Have you had any other reports of the same problem?

Cheers

Gerry

Gerry
Sorry for the late reply but I have been off the air for a while. Even the original ones where a poor design I thought we had come up with a better option but I might be wrong. I will replace them if you like PM for details. We have had no other complaints that I am aware off but that does not mean we will not take action on this.
We have very few left and if we cannot solve this problem we will not make another batch as I said it was a very poor design and if GM could not solve it we probably can�t. The ply idea has some merit and maybe we can suggest that when we sell the part. BTW we did try the metal brackets with little to no success
Les

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users