LX SLR 5000

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:49 PM

G'day All,
I've just recently purchased a 1976 LX SLR 5000.
When I got the letter from GMH to prove it was an original I found out a few interesting things about the car. It's build date is 09/02/76. In the letter from Holden it states that it was one of the first LX SLR 5000's off the production line (couldn't give me an exact no. though). It is papaya in colour (pale orange), has a blackl interior with black cloth inserts (not the hounds tooth type) & was fitted with an auto.
The info I am after & I know it will be difficult is -
a. what date did the first LX SLR 5000's roll off the production line,
b. how many were papaya in colour (because I see stuff all of them around even in the clubs & at car shows) &
c. how rare was it to have one with not only a black interior (I heard a lot of them were brown in colour) but with black cloth inserts (slate black with ranier inserts), going by the numbers on the compiance plate.
I think by going by the combination of the cars details & it's early build date it seems to be a rare car.
This is the first SLR 5000 I have owned & are just trying to get as much info as I can.
If anyone can help me or put me onto someone who might it would be most grateful.

HUX 454

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:55 AM

They would have been released for sale March 1976. Dr. Terry might be able to confirm, some models had an earlier September release in time for Bathurst, although the LX never ran at Bathurst, so don't think it would be a September release. Only September Release that I'm aware of is the L34.

Black interior is pretty common for the SL/R 5000, don't know of any SL/R 5000's in LH or LX with brown interiors, although brown/tan was common on the later A9X's (a 70's thing).

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

Black interior is the most common colour for the SLR 5000, however other colours were available in both the LH and LX SLR 5000's, mostly Chamois and tan, though I have seen other colours even green. Exact numbers would be hard to find out unless you had all the records for ever car made. The rare part is the black insert you have and the auto. I'd like to see some pictures. Papaya is not that rare in an SLR 5000 unless it was an A9X were only one was made.

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:54 AM

I had a lh l31 slr(75),it had brown interior & was spearmint green(I think),dont know if it was rare but it was kinda ugly but I got it cheap & it was genuine but no eng.My cousin had a L20 slr(74),it too had brown interior with light blue paint.I only had 1 slr that came with black interior & it was a white L20 model(74).

#5 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:52 AM

G'Day,
I have a LH SL/R 5000 that has an auto in it.(M40 option) I am still trying to find out how rare it is as I hear so many different stories. Some say they were pretty common and others say they were pretty rare.

(Mine also has a black interior.)

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

I don't understand the obsession with rarity! You own it, you like it, enjoy it.

An SL/R 5000 with an auto may be fairly rare, but at the same time there isn't much demand for auto SL/R 5000's, and if it is rare, then there probably wasn't much demand for auto SL/R 5000's back in the 70's either, as it was an option.

Must say though, I don't think anything sounds better than a V8 behind a slusher.

SL/R's are a different story interior wise to the SL/R 5000. Haven't seen many with the chamois/tan interior, other than A9X's. Seen bucket loads of SL's, S's and SL/R's with chamois/tan interiors and the odd bench seat.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 09 November 2005 - 11:03 AM.

#7 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

i have a rare/ish 97 front wheel drive 1.6ltr subaru wagon
how much can i flog that off on ebay??? :lol:

#8 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:04 AM

You are right yella. If you like it and drive it then thats all that matters.
I don't think it really is an obsession with rarity it self, but more just an obsession with the torana. (Well it is in my case.) I like my car and love it and drive it. I am curious as to the rarity equally as much as any other detail about the car. Its just part of learning all there is to know about your vehicle. I definately wouldn't sell it even if it was the most common car in the world.

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

Fair enoughs. Spose it's just because I get about three or four calls a week from peeps that think they have a rare Torana!!!! Sometimes they are, sometimes they are just dolled up SL's, sometimes they are the real deal, but neglected.

Have seen some weird variations on the theme though, like a genuine LH SL/R 5000 painted up and kitted out like a genuine LX SL/R 5000 but with flares and bonnet scoop. Now that is pretty rare, and it has all nice stuff in it, i.e. 9", muncie, etc, but how do you advise how much it is worth? Whatever somebody is willing to pay basically.

Yup, I'm with you, I like my car for all it's faults/variations/modifications, it aint never for sale, and they can pick whatever they want to at car shows, but at the end of the day it is mine! Yes, interesting to note the variations, etc.

#10 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

An LH SLR 5000 with auto is particularly rare. It was not a standard option and you had to order it well in advance. I have only ever seen 2. One I saw was a very special option with white paint, green trim and auto, the same guy had also ordered a manual HJ Statesman at the same time. Don't ask me why you would want a manual Statesman, yet an auto SLR5000.?!?!?!

#11 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:21 AM

Yes sometimes it is the variations in cars that make them more interesting. I mean if every torana left the factory with exactly the same interior/exterior combinations then that would make the car shows a bit boring.....Not that you see many torana's at car shows here in NZ.

#12 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

Just out of interest, is the date 3/76 on the compliance plate or 2/76. Most vehicles are built a month or two prior to being complianced. The LX was released for sale in March 1976 when the LH was discontinued. I would be very suprised if it were 2/76 on the plate

I have only ever seen SL/R's 6 & 8's /SS's in Papaya, not actually a 5000. Very interesting.
Any pictures?

#13 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:48 AM

I have only ever seen SL/R's 6 & 8's /SS's in Papaya, not actually a 5000.

I thought that the SL/R 8's were the 5000"s?

#14 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:55 AM

You are right, my oversight.. What I meant to say was 4.2 SL/R's...

#15 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:05 PM

From memory there is a pic of a Papaya 5000 on the front cover of one of the old motoring mags i have. I think it was an article about the press release of the LX.

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:56 PM

Just found this, Holden Release Dates:-

February
LX Torana

Link:- Holden Release Dates

#17 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:10 PM

Great link there Yella

Just a bit off topic but in relation to the colour.

Holden put out a Commodore model that was called a "Papaya" and I believe that is the colour that you lot are talking about.

https://cache.gmh-to...R/?sc=1&multi=2

https://cache.gmh-to...R/?sc=1&multi=2

This is one of the many cars that Charlie McCarron of Canowindra has in his collection.

If you are ever up that way and it is not far from Cowra, call in and see Charlie and he will be only too willing to show you his great collection.

He also has an LJ XU-1, SS Monaro (2), the number 46 model 48-215 (FX) and much more. (Roller, Studebaker Grand Tourismo ? $17,000, GTS Monaro)

Some are for sale (not the XU-1) but the prices are on the top side of the market.
Don't go up therer expecting to get the XU-1 as Charlie has been around for a very long time and you won't get past him.

Definitely worth going out of your way to have a look.

Regards................................Barry.

#18 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

That commodore looks like an old yellow taxi....

#19 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 04:20 PM

From memory there is a pic of a Papaya 5000 on the front cover of one of the old motoring mags i have. I think it was an article about the press release of the LX.

Just checked and it is Motor manual April 1976. Front cover has a Papaya SLR5000 and Papaya SS hatch.

#20 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

Yella remembers to raid Toranavista's mags next time he's round.

#21 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Yella remembers to raid Toranavista's mags next time he's round.

Here's a sneak preview Pat, since i owe you one :D Happy to scan a copy if you dont have it. see https://cache.gmh-to...r/SLRPapaya.jpg

#22 _kermi l34_

_kermi l34_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

I know of a papaya slr5000 being restored in WA a very neat looking car.I have heard that auto 5000 number only around 80 cars in lhs.I have an auto LX 5000 in antelope with chamois trim.Has wood grain dash LX style and hatchback console.I know of a contessa gold lh5000 with gazelle trim with rado insert material that is black and gold check cloth rare! Does anybody know where he could get a hold of any gazelle vinyl.

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:32 PM

sounds like a few things in this car have been changed from factory at some stage of it's life.

#24 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

Barry, I remember those, the special release Papaya VH Commodores. Don't know what was special about them, and never did see many of them around in their day. Prolly just a cheap attempt to boost sales.

#25 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

Is this the one you were talking about the other day Wot ? Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users