mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

So this is the Torana's replacement. Im very happy. Drives like a new car and is so different from the torana, in a good way.

Name: Mitch
Model: VX SS
Colour: Red
Bodykit: SS
Engine Type: LS1 5.7L
Engine Mods: 2.5" Redback twin cat back
Gearbox: 4L60E Standard
Diff: Standard 3.08 LSD
Brakes: Standard
Suspension: FE2 - slightly lower
Wheels/Tyres: 18" King Wheels - 235s all round
Interior: Full Leather trim, Sunroof
Stereo: Pioneer DVD Headunit, Alpine 6x9s and 6"
Build Period: Bought February 2012
Cost: $10,000
Future Mods: Oztrack tune, DUS Throttle body, OTR, Extractors, High flow cats, Detailed bay, Cam etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

looks good mate.. shame its an auto..

#3 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Lol knew that would come up. I enjoy the auto. Shame about the diff gears that come with it though. 3.07s suck big ones.
The auto seems nice and strong and makes for some awesome carefree driving.

#4 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

they are good to drive.. I just hate the sound of them with an exhaust, particularly between gears if your not right into it !! that droning type noise.. I put a cat back on the missus car, would love extractors but bloody pricey.

#5 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Yeah extractor prices are a bit of a joke. 2nd hand they still want $500 for them. I think I'll spend that $500 on a mafless tune. Should be able to run well into the 13s then.

I ran it last week and it was shamefully slow. 14.5 @ 98mph. Its only stock but it gives me a starting point to see how the car responds to the mods.

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

It's good you hit the track first up, now you will know how much you gain from your mods!

I really enjoyed my old VU, great car and they are a great engine (With a Manual behind! HAHA) I haven't driven an auto one, so can't comment though.

The VX is an awesome shape!

#7 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah the VX is one of my favourite shapes. Had the option between the VX and a VY but I like the rounded edges of the VX and you dont see them as often as you do VYs.

The way I saw it when I bought it was it will be my daily for 4 years or so, and then use the motor and box in a project car when funds allow for a newer car.
Until then, mods will slowly happen and I want to be running the same time as my old man which is aiming for mid 11s so the auto is better for that and with a cam, heads, diff gears and a stall it should be pretty fun.

It is so much more car then the torana ever was. Im very happy with the upgrade!

Its a lot of car for $10k!!

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Shit yeah! I'm looking to get my bosses GTO into the same type of time bracket... It's his car, but I get to race it! You probably saw a pic of it on my facebook... It'll be a race only car... So I can go a bit more wild, but most of the mods we do, will be VERY similar! Diff Gears, Stall, Cam etc etc

#9 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

its so much more of a car compared to the torry because it has right amount of cylinders hahaha these are so cheap at the moment if i didnt have the need for a ute id definately be looking for one

#10 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Dad recently put a set of Higgins heads onto the Monaro but everytime we have gone racing its been too bloody hot! 30 degree track temps are not good for E.Ts! Lol.
Currently sitting at a best of 11.7 @ 118mph with 3.9 gearing, smallish cam, 4000 stall, full exhaust and a tune plus full slicks. Doesnt take much to get these things moving!

Drives to and from the track as well!

Haha Ryan! I still had change from the torana so it paid for rego transfer and a cat back system. Got some money sitting for a tune and it will be a lot faster then the torana too!

#11 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

should have opted for the 6.0 litre
heaps more down low where you need it....and more up top to
the 5.7 needs revs to do anything...
mind you it is red....

#12 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Unfortunately the budget didnt stretch to a 6.0L.

#13 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

When the 3/4 friction plates burn out in that auto.... I'll sell you some better ones... lol

#14 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Swapped my mate for his 19s off his vs ute.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

They suit it really nice mate well done :)

#16 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

So I have had this car for 2.5 months now and can do nothing but praise it! By now I would have been through a diff in the Torana! Haha!
I have also put 11,000kms on the car since buying it so you see the kind of kms the torana was clocking up. I dont feel as bad when the odometer clocks over another number on this.

Just returned from a couple of weeks in Coffs Harbour for uni. Every time I drove the Torana to Newcastle for T'fest, it was the LONGEST drive of my life. In this, it was so easy. It was quiet, smooth, air con, cruise control lol. Im not converted away from old cars, but you cant beat technology for these comforts. It was then it really hit me that the torana wasn't a true daily driver.

So anyways, it hasnt changed, but should be getting a mafless tune, otr and bigger throttle body in around a month. Got the parts sitting around, just need the $$ for the tune. Hoping for a mid 13..

I will be going through my torana parts I have left over to clear out the garage, shed and dads shed at his work so there will be some parts for sale including sedan glass (all except quarter windows I believe), bumpers, seats, etc etc.

Anways heres a couple of pics at Woolgoolga and Yamba :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hey m8 congrats on the ride! The good ole LS1 is awesome! ( eat me LS2 owners) I am a long time LS owner and I'll give u a few tips if u like.
Change the oil for a top qaulity one. Eg Royal Purple. Yes it's $ but u will gain a little power plus your engine will love you.

First mods that work. OTR, maffless tune. They will recalibrate the slug box so it shifts fantastic.
If you can afford new extractors try chasing up some factory headers from a VY series 2 Clubsport. They are the best factory set you can get. Much better than what you have.

If you get bored pull off your induction pipe from your throttle body and using some fine wet and dry paper smooth out the rough edges inside the throttle body for better flow.

Doing all this with a stock cam will bring you between 220 rwkw and 245 rwkw.
Not to mention much more fun to drive and better fuel economy.

My VY II R8 with a cam runs at 290 rwks on 20's and can achieve 9L/100km on the open road.

Goodluck :)

#18 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

they are a nice looking car the VXSS II, i bought the wife one yrs ago for valintines day, put some 17's on it, pacemakers and 2.5" redback system and took the the 2 plastic air intakes on the airbox for better air flow and it well pretty well for a stock auto dunnydoor, have now updated it and got the VYSS II manual ( red or course :D ) put a set of pacemakers, highflow cats and 3" twin system right through and a set of 20's with 245 rubber and dropped the bum a with a set of lovells to level it out. they have cheap easy power with comfort ta-boot, must be getting old :mellow:

here a little clip i got after the i did the system and wheels and to me its enough till i finish the Torana :D:D

not a fan of the traction control and the bloody speed alert going off made me think i done something to the car and backed off

anyways here the clip,
http://s277.photobuc...nt=IMGP6998.mp4

Edited by nial8r, 23 April 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#19 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

They make for a great daily & easy to get decent power out of them for the money...only thing that annoys me with my vy 11 ss ute is the radiators,have gone through 3 radiators.Other than that it got a marranos tune,otr,di-fillipo extractors/cats & twin 3 xforcs exhaust (234rwkw) shortly after buying it...keen to do more to maske it faster even though it is reasonably quick for a daily.

Fill up with fuel,wash 'em & enjoy it!

Edited by gtrboyy, 23 April 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#20 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Cheers for the comments guys.

Been around the LS1's for a while with Dad building up his Monaro. I think the best education about the mods and how these cars respond was seeing his timeslips after he got something new done. He has logged all his times on an excel document which show the mods to the car and the 1/4 times achieved with it. Hes currently got it down to an 11.7.

It was interesting seeing that with a mafless tune, OTR, full exhaust, DUS throttle body and 3.9 diff gearing he was able to slip into the 12s so thats the direction I will be hoping for in the near future. Then onto the cam etc.

LH8VD69 - Cheers for the advice. With the VY extractors, do they need the extended piece down to the cats like other HSV ones I've seen?

Lee - Yeah Iv ripped out the elbow pipes that come out of the holes on the air box. The induction noise its heaps louder and more of a growl, but the OTR will be on soon so that will all change again lol. Not entirely happy with the cat back system at the moment. I know with extractors it will change the note again but its not loud enough. Had the choice of with a rear muffler or without and I opted for with...not sure if I should have gone the other way.

gtrboyy - Just curious, how much did the marranos tune set you back? Iv rung around a few places and currently looking at my first tune from Oztrack. Hes done great work for the old man.

#21 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

My brother had his done at Sams performance (VE LS2) reasonably cheaply and I can't fault their work.

Ive heard a few bad things about OZTRACK, but that could be said for most places.

No rear muffler will be too loud I reckon, more drone than anything.

#22 _LH8VD69_

_LH8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hey mate I'm not real sure about the extractor length but I can't imagine it being a drama at all. As for the rest of ur exhaust I have learnt alot over the years with my clubby and other LS engines. Do NOT pull the resonator off as it not only sounds cheap and stupid but drones and more so with an auto. I don't know what ur $ situation is but an excellent top class and tough sounding exhaust that doesn't cost the earth is the SureFlo 3 1/2 catback that comes back out at twin tips. No drone and your choice of loudness. After buying many exhausts including a top brand twin 2 1/2 im wrapped with mine. They r in Sydney and will post the system out cheap. Entirely up to you M8 but u won't regret it.

#23 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

Cheers for the comments. I live at Ingleburn so sureflo are real close.

Chris, oztrack have their haters but everything he has done for dad tune wise has been awesome and the figures show in the time slips. Iv spoken with steve and happy with what he offers.

#24 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

nothing worse then the drone, i fell in to that problem with my old VL, extractors and 3" straight through with a high flow cat and straight through 3" muffler at the bum and the drone was that bad you almost needed ear muffs in the car and it was auto too :blush:

The VY goes through 3" and has a twin muffler with twin tail pipes and sounds good weather you have your right foot heavy or just rolling along its got a nice sound.

it looks like your doing your research so im sure you with get things just right with the OTR, Mafless Tune, higgins heads and zorst im sure you will find god good numbers on the track :D

#25 mitchg

mitchg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Gave her a wash and polish on this beautiful thursday night.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users