Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hi
After some help for a Torana project I brought. I've put the car back together after the last bloke was to lazy to finish. Now for my problem

The motor is a 253 that has been reco'd. I got the paperwork with it and had tabs on the heads from the reconditioner new welsh plugs etc. Spun freely and looked brand new. Motor was rebuilt interstate and sat for about 4 years before I got it.

Started it up went straight away. Problem is the longer it ran the tighter it got until you had to rev it hard to keep it going. Done this a couple of times Each time I let it cool down. Start it again same thing.

Pulled the heads off motor spun freely all gaps appeared good. No marks to indicate anything binding.
Put it back together same thing hotter it gets the tighter it gets. As its starts to struggle it makes little popping sounds out through the carby. Timing is ok it doesn't start making this popping sound until it gets hot and starting to bind. I presume this is from the extra fuel building up in the cylinders because it won't run freely.

Anybody got any idea what's going on.

Cheers
Ray

#2 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Forget it mate, go fishing.!

#3 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Did you try and turn it over when its tight and does it slow down when cranking it over or is it only slowing down when running?

#4 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

By starts to get hot I presume you mean it gets to running temp?
I would be looking at the ignition system if it is getting enough fuel.

#5 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Dont let it fall on its Belly.

#6 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

the flux capicatior is shot....you have to go back to 69
and buy a new one....

#7 Rays rana

Rays rana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Did you try and turn it over when its tight and does it slow down when cranking it over or is it only slowing down when running?

Mate it is very hard to turn over by hand at any time. Impossible when it is warm and by warm i mean running for about 60 seconds will not get to running temp before it gets to tight to run.

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Sounds more serious than spark or fuel. Time for a tear down I think.

#9 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

No gap in the rings? could it be as soon as its warming up the rings are binding?

#10 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

sounds like it could be wrong sized, or incorrectly fitted rings to me too, would explain why as soon as they get some temperature, push against the bore and tighten the thing up.

That said, it would show signs of scoring if that was the case.

Not to ask anything silly, but you are turning it over with the plugs out both times arent you?

#11 _NZ Toranaman_

_NZ Toranaman_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

well you did say the gaps look ok. did it turn over easy with the heads off?
It may point to the crank or rod ends being too tight as you said it sat for 4 years, was it turned over by hand while it was sitting and where was it sitting, moisture ?
I think we could benefit with some more info of what happened before you ran the engine.

#12 Rays rana

Rays rana

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Graham
Yes it must have sat for 4 years the paperwork is for 2007 I don't know if he turned it or not. However when I opened it up (took the heads and sump off it was very clean looked like it had been machined yesterday). It turned by hand very easy when the heads were off. Back together with the spark plugs out you can turn it by hand with a bit of resistance. With the plugs in compression makes it harder you really have to heave on it to turn it. Once you fire it up gets hot quick and really tightens up. Got me f*&^ked.

I did notice it was a bit rattly when it had been running for a short time thinking oil pressure could be a problem going to try changing the oil pump. May be running dry and friction could be my problem

#13 _308build_

_308build_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

I am having a similar problem i am putting together a 308 crank in and tightened pistons and rods on but not tightened all ring gaps to spec crank gap is within spec but at the tighter end i dont seem to have a lot of clearnce between big ends on my rods could this be the reason it is difficult to turn over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users