Super T10 gearboxes - any good?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Im assembling a SBC for my LJ which should make somewhere around 400hp at the engine and need to start sorting the rest of the drivetrain. Ive decided the car must me a manual and I stumbled on these new Super T10's which are now made by Richmond Gear. How much abuse could one these boxes handle? Id like to build a tough stroker for it later on so I want some headroom with the drivetrain.

Google hasnt really helped me except for a couple blokes on U.S forums who say they dont break these boxes with 400ci+ motors and wide rubber so that gives me hope.

Anyone here have any experience with them?

Or as an alternative what other manual boxes will fit in a LJ without cutting the trans tunnel out that will handle 400hp+?

#2 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

IIRC they ran a super T10 in Bob Janes big block Camaro.......

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

And A9X race cars
And plenty of BB Vettes

I've looked at them too... but don't need one to commit yet

#4 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

You can also get complete new Muncies with various improvements, they have Italian made gearsets with the shallower/stronger tooth angle in both wide and close ratios:
http://www.tbtrans.c...cie_4_speed.htm
(also other suppliers like Autogear)

Much the same price, fitment and strength as a Super T10, but the Super T10 has more wide ratio options so I guess it depends on what ratios you want. None of these boxes really have torque ratings but they tend to handle a lot, haven't heard of any breakages that aren't due to a lot of abuse or serious big block torque.

#5 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

i've been using 2nd super T10 boxes for well over 25 years,..i've had them in tuff small blocks and big block chevy's as well as my street driven L34 355 holden stroker which makes 450hp 440 foot pounds of torque..they are great gearboxes and take a hell of a lot of punishment..the new richmond casing ones are even more sturdy as the casing are little thicker..just be sure when buying you don't get caught out as some do with the early T10s which are 10 spline and 27 rear same as early muncies and aussie 4speeds..also some super T10S have 26 spline front and 27 rear and are alloy case..
Super T10s 2nd designs are 26 spline front and 32 rear same as turbo 400..they come in front cast case as well as full case..they all have alloy rear extension housings..they have a good selection of ratios 2.43 2 rings on front input shaft,..3 rings 2.64,.5 rings 2.88 etc..
these boxes like any other boxes will break from general wear and fatigue,..but from my experience i've seen them break from poor maintence from loose extension housing bolts and not enough gear oil them etc..

#6 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Sounds good. Im looking at something like this http://www.summitrac...ts/RMG-7021510/

i think the price is fair, just shipping will be a killer. Still worth it I think. Second hand unknown top loaders are selling for $1000 so by the time I rebuild it I may aswell have spent the little bit more on a brand new box...that and i don't really want Fraud parts in my car. :)

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

From what Bob says in his docco with the car on rebuild he reckons that they made their own box out of plate steel when they kept blowing up the muncie.

Edited by TerrA LX, 18 March 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yeah apparently the original cases can stretch under severe duty so they replaced it with a custom made steel one - the new super cases are still aluminium but have been suitably reinforced in the "weak" areas

#9 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

What are the original T10's like?

#10 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

the early T10s came out in the early 60s and are on par with a saginaw which were pretty average at best..especially now with there age most would be flog out unless have been rebuilt with new gears as such..mate syick with a borg warner super T10 or muncie fine spline rockcrusher as you can buy them with new cases and gearsets..

#11 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

You can also get complete new Muncies with various improvements, they have Italian made gearsets with the shallower/stronger tooth angle in both wide and close ratios:
http://www.tbtrans.com/muncie_4_speed.htm
(also other suppliers like Autogear)

Much the same price, fitment and strength as a Super T10, but the Super T10 has more wide ratio options so I guess it depends on what ratios you want. None of these boxes really have torque ratings but they tend to handle a lot, haven't heard of any breakages that aren't due to a lot of abuse or serious big block torque.

If you can get gears NOT made in Italy you're probably onto something.......

#12 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I broke my super t10 twice behind a 308, they do cope with a lot of punishment but they do have a weekness.
There are no needle rollers under the gears againest the mainshaft, so they can loose lubrication and pick up metal and seize on.
Also the washer and needle roller between input and mainshaft fails, causing both shafts to weld together.
Like aussie's the shifter needs to be adjusted correctly.

#13 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

M22 Muncie. This is the box you want with a big torque and horsepower engine. You can still smash them with a big block, as Bob Jane managed but steel end plates solves this which you get with the improved new boxes now. Remember Bob Jane was running a full race spec ZL-1 427 with massive slicks, you are probably talking 600+hp and 600+ftlb torque. GM stopped using these boxes once they stopped building big hp and big torque cars hence why they went back to the improved "Super" T10 which was by that time built by Borg Warner. All said there is nothing wrong with either behind a small block, especially in a tiny little car like an LJ!

#14 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Name:Ray
  • Car:SS Hatch

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:38 PM

Hello Members, hope you are getting your cars out in this lovely weather. About two months ago my super T 10 lost first gear. If I got under the car, I could get it into first (engine not running). When I started it, the gear would not come out of first. Today I left my driveway in second, get down the road and now it goes into first really smoothly but doesn't go into second. Thinking it could be the oil needing changed, but that's just a guess. Anyone think I could be right or could it be something more major? Thanks for any replies. Rainman

#15 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 10:45 PM

🤔 there is a bearing and washer between the input shaft and mainshaft, inside 4th, the washer can shit itself and the bearing too, when the washer does tho, the mainshaft can float forward and back, make it hard to get gears.
This is a possibility

#16 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:12 PM

Thanks ozyozyozy, will drop the box in the near future, will advise once it's fixed. Cheers Rainman. Ps the long shift feels great.

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:08 AM

From your description it could also just be the shifter or 1-2 rod is loose/moved

#18 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:29 AM

Thanks 76lxhatch, have been under the car and it looked all good. The long shift have threaded adjusters with a lock off nut. They were all tight and no real play. Rainman

#19 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

I wonder what gears I get today lol. First to third sux lol. Rainman

#20 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:05 AM

^ lol. Manual allsorts.

#21 Rainman

Rainman

Pain in the ar$e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

Yesterday I had all gears for a little while. Then it went back to no first gear. Swaps and changes as I drive. Rainman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users