Photo

Oldest surviving LJ XU1 ( that we can work out Forum Folk )

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

Any chance of you sending me some photo's of those Brisbane lj's somehow Al ? Oh & the hq if that would be okay. Text message ect is fine.

#52 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:30 PM

Just copy and save the pics i posted, As i got sent that from a magazine from back in the 1990's, i do not have the magazine that Pink LJ GTR is from or know the magazine it is from, was just happy back then to get any sort of pic of it as it is hard to find a pic of that Pink GTR from that Test.

Edited by xu2308, 16 December 2020 - 09:31 PM.

#53 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 16 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

Just copy and save the pics i posted, As i got sent that from a magazine from back in the 1990's, i do not have the magazine that Pink LJ GTR is from or know the magazine it is from, was just happy back then to get any sort of pic of it as it is hard to find a pic of that Pink GTR from that Test.

Al also the Baroda Silver Brisbane built GTR  and the 1/72 Lime green Brisbane built Xu1 i'ii send you the info on both.

cheers

#54 Liz Clare

Liz Clare

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Car:LJ GTR XU1 and LX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:34 AM

No rego plates even close to that.

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers,

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#55 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 07:32 AM

Has anyone documented what the PSN is of the SMP Acacia Ridge car?

Its on the SMP register.....

#56 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:12 AM

Not that I could see.

#57 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

The First Press release for the LJ Torana range was at the Queensland Race Track, at the Race Weekend in Qld in Early 1972 and Press was invited to drive the New LJ's.

PWH162 Strike me Pink LJ GTR Torana (Brisbane Built LJ GTR)

attachicon.gifPWH162 LJ GTR.jpg

PWH161 Strike me Pink LJ XU1 (Brisbane Built)

attachicon.gifPWH161 Pink XU1 been tested.jpg

PWH163 LJ Torana 'S' 2-Door  (Brisbane Built) 

attachicon.gifPWH163 LJ Torana.jpg

These be the Car Rego's you be after that were at the Press Test at the Qld Race Track for the Release of the LJ Torana Range in Early 1972. 

There was a Silver Press Test LJ XU1 with the South Australian number plate RTW905

attachicon.gifRTW905 Silver LJ XU1 .jpg

There was a Green LJ XU1 at the Press Test as well, Do not know it's rego number.

I have them basically sorted now Al. The only cars I have not nailed are:

Car 20, which is one of two 82569 2850 auto cars, just have to figure it out. It was a WA Press Fleet, Elizabeth build. I don't have a rego number for it.

Car 4, the white GTR. The notes state it wouldn't be completed until after 4-6th, but they also say there MAY be a GTR available. There is only a couple built in time for the 4-6 Feb.

Car 22, a 1300 manual that is ex-Sales QLD. I don't have a sunvisor slip for it either. There is another 1300 manual car, car 10 PWH-361. I have it as either 1839 (Royal Purple) or 1840 (SMP) - conflicting info on two lists. Even B&W photos should show which it is.

Car 16. PWH-164. It's an 82369 2250 3spd manual. Again conflicting lists for colour. Either 1821 (Glacier) or 1824 (Salamanca). Again even B&W photos will give it up.

Looks like there were 22 cars at the Press Release on 4th-6th Feb 1972. Some weren't used for the road tests (1300 autos). There were two GTR's listed in the Press Fleet, a Glacier White Acacia Ridge car and a SMP Elizabeth car. Pretty sure PWH-162 is the white car. There was either none or only 1 GTR at the Surfer's days. The SMP car doesn't look to be completed until after 4-6th Feb so it can't have been there. If there was a GTR there it may well not have been either of the assigned Press Fleet cars.

#58 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 December 2020 - 02:05 PM

Agree, PWH-162 will be Glacier White.

PWH-163 is a Royal Umber 82311 with 2250, M20, J52 and G93

#59 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:04 PM

In Fiv's book there's photos of a LJ GTR that could possibly be glacier white, the photos are black and white so it's hard to know but potentially that could be the car that you're referring to above. Just a stab in the dark.

#60 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,522 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:05 PM

In Fiv's book there's photos of a LJ GTR that could possibly be glacier white, the photos are black and white so it's hard to know but potentially that could be the car that you're referring to above. Just a stab in the dark.

The only GTR pics I can find in Fiv's XU1 book are of the 1st Elizabeth built LGM LJ GTR.

#61 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 21 December 2020 - 11:08 PM

Looks like there were 22 cars at the Press Release on 4th-6th Feb 1972. Some weren't used for the road tests (1300 autos). There were two GTR's listed in the Press Fleet, a Glacier White Acacia Ridge car and a SMP Elizabeth car. Pretty sure PWH-162 is the white car. There was either none or only 1 GTR at the Surfer's days. The SMP car doesn't look to be completed until after 4-6th Feb so it can't have been there. If there was a GTR there it may well not have been either of the assigned Press Fleet cars. 

Modern Motors Magazine, issue April 1972

Modern Motor Track Test at the Qld race track

In the story it says there was three LJ XU1's, One was Pink, One was Green and a Silver one, so that counts the colors for the LJ XU1's at that Track Test, It says there was also Two LJ GTR's there as well, it does not mention what color the LJ GTR's were in the MM Story. I was told many many Moons a go, one of the GTR's was Strike me Pink, the GTR pic i posted up, i was told that was a Pink LJ GTR, i might of been told wrong on that, Least there is a Photo of it.  Wheels Magazine did a story as well on that Track Test as Peter Robbo Robison is the Guy in the Beard seen in most photos driving the cars in that track test. Wheels Mags might list the colors of the LJ GTR's in there story, need to find that magazine in the collection. 

Edited by xu2308, 21 December 2020 - 11:12 PM.

#62 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:30 AM

I know Al, I saw that story said there was two at Surfers. But all other evidence says there wasn’t. I run through the logic in a few hours when I have some time.

#63 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:13 AM

As promised Al this is how it appears.

Below is a preliminary list of the Surfers Paradise Cars for 4-6th Feb 1972.

Attached File  Page 1.jpg   56K   13 downloads

Attached File  Page 2.jpg   37.23K   6 downloads

As you can see the two GTR's cars 4 and 21 won't be ready. I have other memos stating as much. The reason appears to be the push to complete 200 XU1's in time for the first race of the South Pacific Touring car championship on Sunday 6th Feb, so GTR's must have been displaced to later production. There simply are bugger all GTR's completed in time to be at the Press Test days. More on this in a minute.

I have a later copy of the same pages above with hand written notes where it states 22 cars total but no GTR's, and they have added another two Ex QLD Sales cars (2850 auto and 2850 manual) to the list. It also says "a GTR may be available".

I also have copies of the sunvisor slips for all of the 21 cars on the attached list. Plus a list of the original scheduled 21 cars (with colours, trim, options), plus issue 2 of the same schedule with amendments in line with the handwritten notes added to the attached list.

On top of all this I have a list of 18 of the 21 cars that were used for the Press Drive day on 5th February which has rego plates, and the two 1300 auto cars have been deleted due to not being suitable for the 116 mile mountainous route.

Using all this info I have found the PSN's of all of the 21 cars except car 4. They are all 000 or 2xx cars and their State Fleet assignment aligns with the ordering zone office. There are a few obscure ones that aren't easy as you have to join the dots using info in all this documentation, but most are easy and there is only one option. The rego numbers all give it up in the end.

As for the GTR's, car 21 is easy to find. Go look in the Service/Warranty Report. It is the SMP car, almost certainly the one that has been posted up here before with WA rego plates. It wasn't completed until after the Surfers days. As for car 4, the statement that "a GTR may be available" sort of helps the cause. There is only one GTR completed at Acacia Ridge in time for 4-6 Feb that is an internal GMH car, I reckon they have grabbed it and made it a QLD Press Fleet car. The original intention for this car was a Victorian use (000 M), so they have built another one to replace it in Elizabeth in line with the document dates shown above, if you find car 21 you'll find it nearby.

Back to car 4. It was original scheduled to be Dublin Green with 41X trim. It has been amended by hand on issue 2 of the schedule to be White. So my guess is the only GTR completed at Acacia Ridge in time for the Surfers days H219851 was Glacier White, and this will be the car displaying PWH-162 plates. If logic prevails, the car intended to be car 4 in Dublin Green may still have been built but at Elizabeth and was assigned duty within GMH in Victoria. Go look for it, it was completed on 8th Feb. It would be great if any of these still exist so the cars can be nailed. The GTR can't have come from South Australia or Victoria. I have the shipping manifest for the six cars sent from Fisherman's Bend to Acacia Ridge on 27th January and there is no GTR amongst them. I have the transfer paperwork too for all 6 where they are sent from Woodville Garage to Fishermans Bend, 3 cars on 21st January, the other 3 on 26th January.

#64 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,805 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:42 PM

Gold.

#65 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:17 PM

Well done Byron & anyone else who may have helped out. That's some list.

#66 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 06:21 PM

There is a few of us that apart and in collaboration have slowly been listing the press fleet cars of the Holden and Torana series. Some are easy as all cars are listed with their PSN’s. Others like LJ are a bit more of a challenge.

I purposely haven’t listed the PSN of each car either, or any of the other docs. Way too much time and effort expended to even get that far to make it free. However anyone interested should be able to easily find about 60% of the cars themselves quite easily.

Edited by yel327, 22 December 2020 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users