Photo

Brembo disc's & calipers on LX an option?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 GMLXSS

GMLXSS

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name:Dean
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

I know only of one member who has completed this conversion.............& our "californian connection" put it together himself in the USA.

Has anyone here in OZ done it & have any info on pricing, best rotor size front/rear for 18" wheels etc?

#2 _AGGRSV_

_AGGRSV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

try KSPORT in Sydney. They have good brake kits and packages... There calipers are identical to your Brembo and AP type.
They do any thing from 270mm rotors to 380mm. I reckon 330mm with 4 spot calipers would be ample for your 18 inch wheels..

#3 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

And I am going to go much bigger on my calipers soon as I get done loading containers now and have time to rest, ha ha...

I already tried on an 8 piston AMG Brembo caliper and it bolts straight on in place of my existing 4 piston Brembo's.

The caliper bracket I made was pretty straight forward and sure you could do a similar one as well. the Mercedes AMG SL55 rotor goes onto the hubs from the upc guy (who sells on ebay the brake kits) once you redrill them to Chev pattern (and open the center bore up slightly on the rotor.

Just doing all the working out of what to use was the hard part really for me...the actual fitting them on the car is really straight forward.

And my 360mm rotors fit my 18" wheels perfectly. Depending on what wheel you run though, you might have to watch caliper clearance.

#4 GMLXSS

GMLXSS

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Rob but(if possible) I would like to use Brembo items eh.

Hi Jeff, as you can see.........still entertaining the idea & so far you seem to be the only LH/LX Torana owner to have done it. The parts that you have been lucky enough to get hold of at the right price, are impossible to source(at the right price) from what I can find. I am still of the opinion that the Hoppers Stoppers kits are not a very "bang for buck " option & I still hope to put together a Brembo set up, for not a lot more than a Hoppers kit. Yes it's a dream, but all worth while aspirations start off that way eh :-)

Man I love your Torana & it's/your clever mods - go away you bug me :-) lol

#5 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

There is always getting the bits from here cheap of course too don't forget ;)

The rotors I got right from the Mercedes dealer...but you could also get replacement ones from rockauto,etc and just source up some second hand calipers (or new even if you wanted) on ebay, rockauto, etc.

The 8 piston calipers I want to go with run about $900 a pair it seems...and the 4 piston ones I am running now (which were brand new take offs from an SRT8 Challenger are pretty cheap if you check around too...or any other similar Brembo 4 spot take off would probably do as well since as I found out, even the 8 piston AMG spec one and the Challenger one use the same mounting pattern which makes it handy.

I just used the ones I did because I stumbled across a killer deal on them, but making the brackets would go the same sort of way...

I could probably always make copies of my brackets again...hmmmm....

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

I've put Brembos on at least 3 Toranas
Usually the Lotus style caliper on a 330mm Commdore rotor

They can be abit chunky and give wheel clearance issues... hence going more for the AP nowdays

Anything can be made to fit... if you have the patience and the room
And if your really hung up on Brembos might I suggest stearing clear of some of the mass produced ones
Like the 350Z , Evo , WRX ones
These may have the logo on them but they are built down to a price and not as good as say the Porsche ones

If your after a bargain pair get onto the ones here... but not handled a set so unsure of their suitability/dimensions and availability of pads , parts or how hard to make brackets.

http://holmart.com.a...ne/prod1079.htm

#7 madmax

madmax

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Car:Vf ssv redline ute Walkinshaw enhanced Pedders coilovers

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

http://www.ebay.com....=item27c4efcc43

i was reading that old mate from upc.online is making custom alloy brake brackets for brembo or just about any other
brake caliper but you still have to modify the bracket to fit for about $660.00 anyone tried them yet????

Edited by madmax, 25 March 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#8 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

For custom brakes do a search for what others have done with 18" rims. Save yourself some heartache avoid UPC. You might have heard of the saying "tits on a bull" well they are more useful than UPC. Datto knows more about brakes than UPC would know in two decades. I used Racebrakes as have many others.

Edited by LXSS350, 26 March 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#9 GMLXSS

GMLXSS

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks guys. Will steer clear of UPC and Dattoman is the man to talk to - got it, cheers peoples.

#10 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

http://www.ebay.com....=item27c4efcc43

i was reading that old mate from upc.online is making custom alloy brake brackets for brembo or just about any other
brake caliper but you still have to modify the bracket to fit for about $660.00 anyone tried them yet????

Here is what my brackets look like... a couple hours designing/mocking them up, some time cutting them out and drilling the holes and a few bucks worth of plate steel.

Attached Files

#11 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Here is what my brackets look like... a couple hours designing/mocking them up, some time cutting them out and drilling the holes and a few bucks worth of plate steel.

So are you going to make a few for us Torana lovers to purchase ?

#12 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

The brackets work on the 8 piston ones I mentioned as well...swap is all done now and done a little bit of driving around with them :)

And I probably could copy the brackets, but would have to pull one off again, and just put it all back together again. :wacko:

I am just getting ready to start loading containers again, but could perhaps do something with them come July...but they are setup for the offset of the Mercedes SL55 brake rotor remember. A different height rotor would need a different braket. So depending on what rotor you would using, would have to make the mounting bracket to suit...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

very much likem dem wheels

#14 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

I would almost send them over just to see how they would look on your targa car :)

Hmmmm......or better still, send your car here and we can try the wheels on it. :D

(They were actually originally made for 911 Cup cars, ha ha...)

#15 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

So what type of brembo calipers should I be looking for ? Model ? Year? 4/6/8 spot caliper ?

#16 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Has anyone tried late model Holden (hsv) calipers? They are fairly cheap from a written off car

#17 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

As long as you are making your own bracket, I can't see why it would be too big a deal to use them ?

#18 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

So have you used brembo on the rear also ?

#19 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have PBR's are the rear for now, but will be putting 4 piston brembos on the rear shortly. (going to start loading containers in about a week and a half, but once this batch is done I will get back to playing with the the car)

Sure I suppose it's over kill, but what the heck :D

#20 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

I would almost send them over just to see how they would look on your targa car :)

Hmmmm......or better still, send your car here and we can try the wheels on it. :D

(They were actually originally made for 911 Cup cars, ha ha...)

What brand hubs and stub axles are you using ?

#21 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I use HQ stubs and hubs from upc.

#22 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

I use HQ stubs and hubs from upc.

Have you had any problems with bump steer ect ? Also are you running the Torana steering arms ?

#23 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

I still have the Torana arms yes..might get the A9X ones, but seems ok so far. (only have a few hundred miles on it so far with all the upgrades though)

#24 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

MSF are good to deal with on custom stuff.
http://msfracingcomp...ts.com.au/home/

#25 _sjp67m_

_sjp67m_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

MSF are good to deal with on custom stuff.
http://msfracingcomp...ts.com.au/home/

thanks for uploading the link just ordered hubs from them. He took the time to talk things through explain whats been tried and what way to go about adapting my brembos to fit his hubs and what discs to try ect, unlike most other companies who only wanted to sell a complete kit.
and great prices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users