how to test wiper motor direct to battery?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _chev400_

_chev400_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

hi guys, just wondering how can i test the wiper motor to see if she's good or not?
i have a pic here so who can tell me what goes to pos and neg and or anything else? cheers

oh and sorry to "HANRA" for stealing your pic but this was a better pic than mine lol

Attached File  wiper motor.jpg   36.71K   15 downloads

#2 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

I found best way was to connect wiper motor to a loom with a wiper switch and battery, need to earth the switch and motor
this was for a LC and I could just turn switch for both speeds and homing,
but I have spare looms and tested several motors

Edited by limo, 23 April 2012 - 08:45 PM.

#3 _chev400_

_chev400_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

mate...i'm shit with electrics, couldnt tell ya what the difference is with a red white and blue wire even though it would be the same gauge..lol, i could re connect it to the car but wouldnt know where to begin as i have no wires in the bay atm as im giving her a spray, wouldnt know where to connect the battery to test it, i know earth is to the body but wouldnt have a clue how or where to connect the positive :dontknow:

#4 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

I tested mine on the bench no worries at all.

http://s70.photobuck...nt=2755e75c.mp4

Edited by hanra, 24 April 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#5 _chev400_

_chev400_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

ok and how does this video help me?

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Umm it shows you where he connected the terminals?

#7 _chev400_

_chev400_
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

well then mine must be stuffed, cause i have tried all combinations with the 4 plugs trying it straight to the battery with no luck, i wasnt sure if i had to earth the motor, i guess this means i'm on the hunt for another wiper motor, anyone got one?

#8 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Nope, no need to earth the motor... There is a earth running from the front cover to the mounting bolt... but ive bench tested mine like above and it works

#9 _SHERIF_

_SHERIF_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I bench tested mine and by looking at your pic, bottom right terminal is earth top right is main power , if you hook them up and then earth either of the other 2 while main and earth is connected depending on what one is touched it will determin the speed, this worked for me, hope it was not just a fluke

#10 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Ok well I had abit more of a play with this today and this is what I found. Is a Preslite motor and now the car working correctly
Posted Image

Top left pin = Constant 12V in (while on acc)
Top right pin = Earth for the auto-stop
Bottom left pin = Earth for Fast speed
Bottom right pin = Earth for slow speed

I also found the auto-stop function (keeps the motor spinning until in the starting position) does not work unless the motor housing itself is earthed. (thin earth strap from the cover mounting screws to the body)

#11 LJGTR6

LJGTR6

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:1977 LX SL 4 Door and 1973 LJ 2 Door
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ok well I had abit more of a play with this today and this is what I found. Is a Preslite motor and now the car working correctly
wipermotorplugs.jpg

Top left pin = Constant 12V in (while on acc)
Top right pin = Earth for the auto-stop
Bottom left pin = Earth for Fast speed
Bottom right pin = Earth for slow speed

I also found the auto-stop function (keeps the motor spinning until in the starting position) does not work unless the motor housing itself is earthed. (thin earth strap from the cover mounting screws to the body)

Just wanted to add to this post as i was bench testing my preslite yesterday and understood the diagrams but had trouble with the auto stop. (or park)

My problem was one of the brush copper tails was touching the case which drove me round the twist.

It did not do what was mentioned here or as per the diagram. Until i fixed the short.

Then it did as is decribed above with one difference which i can only assume is correct.

Case must be earthed for park to work correctly.

Top left pin = (BAT) Constant 12V in (while on acc)                                                     
Top right pin = (SW3) Connect to SW1 for park (no other connection)                         
Bottom left pin = (SW2) Earth for Fast speed (must remove SW1 to SW3 link first)                                                                
Bottom right pin = (SW1) Earth for slow speed (same. SW1 to SW3 link removed)

The diagram shows a small short between SW3 and SW1 i am guessing it is showing the switch

in its off position and as it rotates in the diagram anticlock the switching goes as follows.

OFF position = SW1 shorted to SW3 (when unit parks SW1 will end up with 12 volts on it via SW3)

slow speed    = SW1 grounded (SW1 to SW3 openned)

fast speed     = SW2 grounded (SW1 ungrounded and SW1 to SW3 still open)

Thought i would add this is anyone else wants to bench test a preslite.

steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users