LH-LX-UC Steering Rack BUSH Collapse

Steering Rack Bush Fragmented

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 _gam_

_gam_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hello. I have recently posted a Topic under STEERING & SUSPENSION ..LH-LX-UC .. regarding the proposed reco of the steering rack in my vehicle.
The details are as brief, but precise as I can explain, BUT, one point that has been rolloing around in my head is this ...
SEE THE ATTACHED PIC ...
that perhaps the biggest problem I had was to procure another LEFT HAND end rack shaft Bush.
RedRanger Products politely supplied, though they produce a Whiteline, and a Nolathane item, they are both exactly the same. SuperPro and others perhaps manufacture these too, but the listing is for COMMODORE, not Torana.

Now, my concern is this.
My car has been sitting idle for 27 years. The rack had a clunk in it, and I noticed quite readily that the left hand tie rod had quite a `jump' in it when I wobbled the left wheel. The obvious thought here is that I removed the rack assembly, and disassembled it for a total reco.

The contents of the rack are what you see here in the photo (God I hope it appears, otherwise this is a waste of space !!) with the shattered original standard bush in a mass of `gravel' like fragments, spread from one end of the assembly to the other, mixed with the 140 grade oil.

Notice the larger chunks ... these are rock hard .. and I imagine that when GMH originally ordered these bushes, that the NYLON was reasonably pliable. It had to be to be installed, as they simply `clip' into place.

The whole point of my addressing this issue .. and I have never heard of anyone focusing directly to this problem ... is a word of DIRE WARNING.
If ANY of these fragments were to build up, or a large piece were to wedge someplace, I horror to think of the immediate consequences !! GMH were well intentioned with this bush made of Nylon, but that was 35 YEARS AGO !!
The original bush is NOW an accident waiting to happen. Keep in mind, my car has been OFF THE ROAD .. never even moved a wheel, for 27 years. So how are the bushes in other Toranas, IF the rack is original and NOT reconditioned ??
The problem is very noticeable, by an obvious clunk or loud rattle in the steering, and should NOT be left unattended.

This is not scare mongering .. not in the least. I am simply concerned for the safety and well being of other enthusiasts who may have overlooked this area of age and parts failure.

My thanks go to `OrangeLJ' for his encouragement to continue with reading this forum.
I hope I have been of some assistance to others.

Cheers

Attached Files

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

They can get a little on the brittle side but have never seen anything like that. Perhaps someone put something dodgy in the rack rather than suitable oil or grease?

#3 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hello. I have recently posted a Topic under STEERING & SUSPENSION ..LH-LX-UC .. regarding the proposed reco of the steering rack in my vehicle.
The details are as brief, but precise as I can explain, BUT, one point that has been rolloing around in my head is this ...
SEE THE ATTACHED PIC ...
that perhaps the biggest problem I had was to procure another LEFT HAND end rack shaft Bush.
RedRanger Products politely supplied, though they produce a Whiteline, and a Nolathane item, they are both exactly the same. SuperPro and others perhaps manufacture these too, but the listing is for COMMODORE, not Torana.

Now, my concern is this.
My car has been sitting idle for 27 years. The rack had a clunk in it, and I noticed quite readily that the left hand tie rod had quite a `jump' in it when I wobbled the left wheel. The obvious thought here is that I removed the rack assembly, and disassembled it for a total reco.

The contents of the rack are what you see here in the photo (God I hope it appears, otherwise this is a waste of space !!) with the shattered original standard bush in a mass of `gravel' like fragments, spread from one end of the assembly to the other, mixed with the 140 grade oil.

Notice the larger chunks ... these are rock hard .. and I imagine that when GMH originally ordered these bushes, that the NYLON was reasonably pliable. It had to be to be installed, as they simply `clip' into place.

The whole point of my addressing this issue .. and I have never heard of anyone focusing directly to this problem ... is a word of DIRE WARNING.
If ANY of these fragments were to build up, or a large piece were to wedge someplace, I horror to think of the immediate consequences !! GMH were well intentioned with this bush made of Nylon, but that was 35 YEARS AGO !!
The original bush is NOW an accident waiting to happen. Keep in mind, my car has been OFF THE ROAD .. never even moved a wheel, for 27 years. So how are the bushes in other Toranas, IF the rack is original and NOT reconditioned ??
The problem is very noticeable, by an obvious clunk or loud rattle in the steering, and should NOT be left unattended.

This is not scare mongering .. not in the least. I am simply concerned for the safety and well being of other enthusiasts who may have overlooked this area of age and parts failure.

My thanks go to `OrangeLJ' for his encouragement to continue with reading this forum.
I hope I have been of some assistance to others.

Cheers

much appreciated i shall be checking mine
cheers
davemc

#4 _gam_

_gam_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

G`day `76lxhatch' .. I do agree that there is a possibility of `something dodgy'. POSSIBILITY only.

I bought the car in Newcastle in `79, as a Mandarin Red SL 253, M20, 4 door. Ex and 1st owner was a RAAF serviceman. It had 32.000 k on it, and was immaculate, right down to the original tyres. I am the second owner. The rack has never seen deep water, and the dust boots WERE still in sealed, resonable condition, and the oil VERY clean, but LUMPY !!

I drove it, loved it, and tended to it's every desire `til `85. I would suggest that in the owner ship of the first carer, that there would be NO plausible reason to reoil the rack, and there was never an issue with any lubricant leaking from boots, or the seal. When I pulled the rack out of the car just now, the original 140 oil was only polluted by this shattered bush.

The original kilometres on the car are 78,000 since `76. I have a theory that age alone has hardened the Nylon, and as I have had it jacked up to restore it, I have moved the rack from lock to lock. This particular bush, in its original pattern, had only 3 small locating tabs to establish itself in the locking groove. All it has taken is to drag the rack shaft to the right, and the rack shaft has pulled the old bush with it, or fragmented purely from age, and the pieces have gone through the pinion, hence the crushed appearance.

However, my fear is that in ANY car, at ANY time, with the original and old bush in place, is that if it were to break up while under load of .. eg. cornering stress, that if a LARGE chunk were to catch on the rack teeth and any inner shoulder, the rack will indeed jam.
The consequences of that scenario are to me, devastating.

I am emphasising that this bush is in some cases nearly 40 years old (LH). That's FORTY damn years for a piece of Nylon that absorbs EVERY hit and shudder from potholes, driveways, rough roads .. AND the enormous extra load from wide wheels, and attempting to emulate Mr Brock over Skyline in `79 !!!

How anyone interprets my findings is purely up to the individual. I am a simple man, of simple means. A cancer surviving 61 year old, who in turn wants to assist others to appreciate the joy, and awareness that every day brings. I care, simple.

I would be doing myself, and the community a huge dis-service if I didn't introduce this problem for open discussion. I'd hate to have my Grand kids and family in the car when the steering locks, albeit momenarily. The ramifications are mind boggling.

Simple

#5 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I say thankyou for your concern to the Torana community

What you have pointed out and shown us from your experience is greatly appreciated

Thankyou again :clap: :clap: :clap:

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Well not many guys on here could say they've owned their Torana that long so I guess you know the history pretty well! I guess the only saving grace is that if it disintegrated like that there isn't much chance it would have jammed the rack...

#7 _gam_

_gam_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

IT"S THE B I G CHUNKS I'M CONCERNED ABOUT !! The little bits will just float around.

G`day `Abysinth' too. Take care mate. Cheers

Another ANZAC Day .. MMm, Lest We Forget.

#8 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

I was recently pointing this out to some guys that dropped to buy a rack...i showed them the bush....the one i have just fell to bits in my hands

#9 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

This came out of Christine's UC rack today, 17K KM's and it has done no hard work .
Attached File  013.JPG   78.21K   5 downloads

#10 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:33 AM

So this bush is in all LH to UC Toranas?

#11 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

some LHs had a steel bush

#12 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

I just got quoted $400 to fix the rack is that a little excessive , that is when I remove , and take it to them .

#13 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

I just got quoted $400 to fix the rack is that a little excessive , that is when I remove , and take it to them .

I would have thought around $250 - $300 would be enough. :dontknow:

Are they installing a gold plated bush? If not I'd demand a gold plated one at that price lol.

Edited by S pack, 19 November 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#14 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Dave , nothing less than gold for the UC , but unfortunately it's not even gold plated , The quote was from Jim Hunter at Blacktown I have used him before , but at $400 I started to ring around , I am now going to Steering Solutions Sydney west , $260 .

#15 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

I got quoted $350 for an LC one about 10 years or so ago but that was remove and install also as far as I'm aware.

#16 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

FMD, there's not a lot of work in them.
ol mate used to reco racks out of his garage, used to supply the greater liverpool area.

#17 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

UC and LH/X have different shaft and housing size,not by much,found out when whatever bush they had in the UC just dissolved..not a trace of it left...scary shit..Thought the spare LH one would fit but no joy.

The "steel" ones were not just "steel" , they were a special metal that was soft and absorbent,same as the preload cap on pinion end.
Don't use brass or steel or to replace the rack end bush.
The ones you buy these days...don't even fit them..they are supposed to be a full circle with oil channels/breathers for oil/air to travel back and forth during steering with just a tad of drag on shaft if they are good.They don't just clip in,they are are neat press or bump 

fit with a drift and there is also a groove for an internal clip,although have never seen a clip in the groove.

#18 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Thanks Dave , nothing less than gold for the UC , but unfortunately it's not even gold plated , The quote was from Jim Hunter at Blacktown I have used him before , but at $400 I started to ring around , I am now going to Steering Solutions Sydney west , $260 .

Steering solutions ? , has anyone recommended them ?

Lets know how you go, as I need one repaired. Just want to be very careful as to who I take it to.

#19 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:29 PM

He sounded alright on the phone , did his trade working on Toranas ,and does the older racks himself . I am hoping to get it down to him early next week for the next day pick up . the only problem I have is getting the wire for the boots , as he will have a plastic clip on them .

#20 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yeh mines got the original tie wire on it, I will carefully take it off before I take the rack in, then refit on return.

#21 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

I would have thought around $250 - $300 would be enough. :dontknow:

Are they installing a gold plated bush? If not I'd demand a gold plated one at that price lol.

For the WA boys -- WA suspensions did mine a while ago for $176

#22 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:06 AM

He sounded alright on the phone , did his trade working on Toranas ,and does the older racks himself . I am hoping to get it down to him early next week for the next day pick up . the only problem I have is getting the wire for the boots , as he will have a plastic clip on them .

Can't you make your own out of tie wire?

#23 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:05 AM

Yeh Terry that was the plan , we will see what happens , as it doesn't go to car shows anymore .

#24 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

Any news on what sort of job was done ?

#25 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

My rack was finished on time , at the quoted price and it feels good in the car with 18 months warranty , I'm Happy .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users