Working on the 202 Crankshaft for Engine Life at High RPM

202 Crankshaft Weight RPM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

So I’m rebuilding for myself (again). Speaking to a few people who should be in the know lately and they recommend (for engine longevity at sustained high RPM) stress relieving, CNC’ing, and nitriding the crank. I’ll clarify and say that nobody said problems would be eliminated but in their experience there is a greater chance at longevity with RPMs.

One of the people is selling the crank, but the other is basically independent, and both guys engines have been winning at up to national level events since the 1970s. The two people do have a working relationship. The company selling could only be described as extremely experienced and well reputed. They are smart and experienced guys.

After wading through many old posts on this forum and the net in general it seems to the consensus is not to modify the counterbalanced cranks at all. Please note - I am not trying to start another Balancing/Torsional Vibration/Damper/Flywheel bolts/Etc thread. My question is more like - Holden did a good thing with the counterweighted crankshaft, but they didn’t design it to be changing at 6500RPM – 7000RPM, could weight removal aid in longevity at these RPMs?

#2 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

both guys engines have been winning at up to national level events since the 1970s. The two people do have a working relationship. The company selling could only be described as extremely experienced and well reputed.

There's your answer right there. I'd be following their advice even if it seems counter-intuitive.

#3 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

There's your answer right there. I'd be following their advice even if it seems counter-intuitive.

Your probably right. Just having trouble wrapping my head around it...and...means more money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users