chassis twisting

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

now before every1 says its just a v6, im starting to make a fair ammount of torque at the wheels with my setup, i havent done anything to brace the chassis as yet. With my current setup im making 508 ft/lb of torque @ 3100rpm on my mates mainline dyno. I get 100% hookup on launch, on street tyres at the strip. Im adding an intercooler kit and nitrous wet kit and supporting mods with the aim of around 380rwhp and around 650-680 ft/lb of torque. I do race the car a bit, do you think i could twish it or do damage if im launching it around 3000rpm (auto) and get full hookup? i have searched a bit on here and seen wat some people have done, but cant find any figures on where people have started to run into trouble. thanks

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

I think you will pull the diff mounts out of the floor before any serious twisting.

#3 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

is there a way to brace them? am i being paranoid? ive got the bw78 diff fitted n lokka

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Weld the doors shut.

#5 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

You can weld the control arm mounts to the floor.

#6 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

As above, weld control arm mounts and also box lower control arms.

#7 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Ok thanks for that, I'm a boilermaker so making something up is not problem. Just needed to know what.

#8 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ok thanks for that, I'm a boilermaker so making something up is not problem. Just needed to know what.

CRS do a bolt and weld in chassis kit, you could copy that or do something similar.

I think the CRS kit is heavy and overpriced so if someone could measure one up we should be able to improve on it.

#9 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

box trailing arms weld suspension mounts and do the chassis connector mod i think for a v6 a crs chassis kit would be way way way over engineered

#10 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Yeah I want to keep weight down asmuch as possible. Chasing tines

#11 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Yeah I want to keep weight down asmuch as possible. Chasing tines

With 500 ft/lb it should do good times.

Are you going to fit a roll cage or roll bar considering 500 ft lb should put you into the range where one is required?

I dont think there is much engineering in the CRS chassis kit, it looks like a cheap quick fix and if you compare the weight to a roll cage it might be heavier to use the CRS kit for less result.

I dont think the chassis connector does much, when you measure torsional rigidity you would bolt the rear shock mounts to a jig along with one front crossmember mount and then jack up the other crossmember mount with a hydraulic jack then measure hydraulic pressure verses deflection.
Cutting the radiator support panel to make it easier to swing the motor in is a huge mistake, it ties the front of the chassis rails together, i would box off the U section that holds the bonnet release catch, the bumper bar also ties the chassis rails together so i would not be removing that.
The seam on the firewall also needs more welding, this one is in line with chassis rails under heater box, i would spot weld and TIG the ends along with adding more welds around door openings.

I am currently drawing up some lightweight underfloor stiffeners to be welded on that will tie into existing chassis rails,should be lighter and more rigid than the CRS kit,i want to run a flatter floor for drag and lift reduction.

#12 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Nah the car won't be getting a cage, it's a street car an always will be. I should be ok to run 10.50(10.79 is aus record for v6 m90 charger) or slower at street meets a I have 4 wheel disks and will be putting in harness and loop. I'd be interested to see what you come up with if you don't mind sharing. Cheers

#13 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

Pull ur carpet out if u stitch the mounts on ! I had an underlay combustion problem when I done my hatch :-)

#14 _V6 UC_

_V6 UC_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

cheers for the tip! the interior is getting ripped out in the next week or 2 anyway, so il do it while its out. A vs stato trim might make its way in there, il update my build thread, its gonna be pretty out there

#15 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Pull ur carpet out if u stitch the mounts on ! I had an underlay combustion problem when I done my hatch :-)

Did you try to weld the carpet to the floor?

#16 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

I think you will pull the diff mounts out of the floor before any serious twisting.

They are prone to twisting.......I know of many small six LXs tha have body flex problems, that's why so many have panel gap issues.

As above, weld control arm mounts and also box lower control arms.

Listen to this man, he knows........

The SHS gearbox crossmember and tail shaft loop help, but better if you have th chassis connectors to join them to.

Grant..

#17 _sshatch355_

_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

After putting in the crs bolt in kit a month or so ago the change is like night n day. when i jack the car up it now sit perfectly level on 3 chassis stands which was a bit of a laugh, ive got 400ish rwhp it launches/tracks straighter and feel more solid so for the $750 and 20kgs it adds it was well worth it imo
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 _sshatch355_

_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

just a correction mine was $835 delivered to SA

#19 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

thread hijack but is boxing the lower arms up legal?? thinking of doing it on mine. would you be about to notice the difference in handeling at all?

#20 _SLEDGE_

_SLEDGE_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Twisting like this?!

lol.

#21 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

sic ^^^^^^^^^^^^ couldnt beat the lil tozza at the end

#22 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

I got this chassis kit it mine, it's helped heaps

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm also a big fan of the CRS chassis kit. Noticed a huge improvement in my LX - exactly like sshatch355 said. I've also boxed the lower arms. After 10 years now with 450HP SBC, the car has never shown any signs of problems or twisting.

#24 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

thread hijack but is boxing the lower arms up legal?? thinking of doing it on mine. would you be about to notice the difference in handeling at all?

I wont tell anyone if you don't. It takes the flex out of the arm & stops them distorting.

#25 _injlc304_

_injlc304_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

thanls woz i'll get onto it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users