T5 `Box into LX

Suitable for 308 / 355

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _gam_

_gam_
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Have read many opinions on WHICH T5 is better than another. Isn't one T5 the same as another. Aren't they a Borg Warner box to suit many cars??

Apparently a T5 from a 6 cyl Falcon (model ??) is easiest and strongest to fit behind a 308 ... Why ??? But which pattern block .. Tri / 4 spd or Turbo.

What clutch plate to use ?? .. Bellhousing / adapter from Dellow of Castlemaine Rod Shop ????

Any idea of costing ??? Does tailshaft need shortening .. is tailshaft yolk same splinage as Aus 4 speed ??

Gearshift location similar to stock position ??

Does gearbox tunnel need modifying . . and crossmember ???

. . what about speedo drive calibration ??? If a conversion is done, does it need to be `engineered' in NSW ??

So mant questions, so little info. Please direct me to suitable link or page.

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...ild#entry681286

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

[quote]
Have read many opinions on WHICH T5 is better than another. Isn't one T5 the same as another. Aren't they a Borg Warner box to suit many cars??[/quote]

Yes they are a BW box... but made to different specs depending on the vehicle manufacturers requirements
So alot of the internals are different depending on manufacturers spec
Its also the most widely used gearbox in the world... so there are over 220 variations and part numbers depending on the boxes origin vehicle
Both in World class and non world class configuration

[quote]
Apparently a T5 from a 6 cyl Falcon (model ??) is easiest and strongest to fit behind a 308 ... Why ??? But which pattern block .. Tri / 4 spd or Turbo.[/quote]

They will all require adapting as none were built for aussie pattern blocks.. .the bellhousings are removable so purchase the one that suits your needs from who-ever makes it
As for which is strongest... the one thats not been thrashed to death behind a big torque V8

[quote] What clutch plate to use ?? .. Bellhousing / adapter from Dellow of Castlemaine Rod Shop ????[/quote]

Whatever suits your driving requirements based on YOUR usuage and splined to suit the donor box

[quote] Any idea of costing ??? Does tailshaft need shortening .. is tailshaft yolk same splinage as Aus 4 speed ??[/quote]
Shop around...a V8 Holden T5 can cost $1000+ due to their rarity
Ford boxes were more common in 6 cyl form and allegedly have a better shifter position for Toranas
Tailshaft needs to be fabricated as no they do not have the same output as an aussie 4 speed/trimatic

[quote] Gearshift location similar to stock position ??[/quote]
Depends which box you use... Ford is allegedly closest

[quote] Does gearbox tunnel need modifying . . and crossmember ???[/quote]
Read thread I posted

[quote]. . what about speedo drive calibration ??? If a conversion is done, does it need to be `engineered' in NSW ??[/quote]
Speedo calibration is usually done with a change of final drive ratio or tyre size... shouldn't effect the box... howver the output from the box might not match your current final drive... so lets say yes
Legality is a greay area...I say... who cares what box is in it.... but many states (probably all) need some form of modification certification
I have personally never had a car with a mod permit for a non standard gearbox

[quote]
So mant questions, so little info. Please direct me to suitable link or page.
[/quote]

Link above... and probably about 20 more in the driveline section ... which is where I'm moving this too since its in the wrong spot

#4 _gam_

_gam_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Neil .. Mate, thank you SSOOO much for a sensible, informative, and down right polite reply. Yeah, I looked at the link sent on Saturday .. then studied this reply on Monday. The car is getting a birthday present out of utter neglect ... it's called `Rebuild' !!

27 years resting in shedS .. emphasis on shedS .. a few moves, a couple of divorces, but the ol' girl is still with me .. last rego was `84. But I am aiming for ToranaFest THIS year, as I'm 12 months late for ToranaFest LAST year ..LOL

It has the original 46,000 on it, but everything is changed now so the mileage is irrelevant. The engine is a stroked, CR cranked 355, and the stock `box is M21 will have to suffice at present until I have the funds for the T5.
The T5 input shaft length is one mute point, but I assume that CRS or Dellow will direct which length is correct.

Again, .. Many thanks for your time and consideration. By the way, I'm a 61 year ol' youngster .. and I see you are `DattoMan' .. my wee stable has an HR31 in it, keeping company with a BT1 VL, Nissan GQ Patrol, 2000 VS Ute, and the Torana .. I'll leave the Volvo out of the conversation just to keep it clean .. no swearing, ok. :mellow:

Cheers. Geoff

#5 _Dave_62_

_Dave_62_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Just having trouble with transmission being too hight for tunnel ...... using a Dellow crossmember

#6 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Why stuff around buying a Ford box, then a bell housing to suit it, then mixing & matching clutches? It doesn't make any economic sence to me!

Buy a Holden T-5 ( they are turbo pattern), remove the rear extension housing & bolt on a Ford T-5 extension. The shifter hole needs to be enlarged by 40mm rearward which doesn't cut into the factory floor bracing.

Atleast if anything breaks you can simply go to your Holden dealer & buy parts!

Have a gander at some of the 'other' attempts at this conversion & the horrible tunnel mods required.

#7 _77hatch_

_77hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

i run a ford 6 box , dellow bellhousing & crossmember, chevy heavy duty pressure plate , ford clutch plate , i had to shorten 1/2" off the clutch plate splined hub & machine up my own thrust bearing carrier ! to get the right clutch travel !!!!. The pedal is nice & light with good feel ! never once looked like slipping , can't say that for the back tyres though

With the crossmember i ended up putting it in facing the ground & jacking it with the floor jack then turning around & trial fitting to get the right installation height , way better than "spacer" washers ! , it took a few times but it turned out neat & tidy !

with the shift position you only need to trim the hole back to the crossmember edge & the gearbox will clear , very minimal modification to your car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users