Jas76hatch Build

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi guys,
I have been reading build after build over the last few weeks and I have to say Thank you all for sharing so much awesome info..

I thought I would start documenting my build here too, so here it goes.

I bought my hatch around 18 years ago as my first car, it was an almost dead 202 but the body was pretty good. it had just been painted and what rust there was, had been well hidden. I have been moving around a bit over the years so the car has been living in a shed for about the last 10.

I have now got the bug and started to build her up again. Im attempting to do as much as possible myself and I am having a blast learning along the way, not to mention all the new toys I get to buy :)

so far I have been sanding my ass off and have taken most of the car back to bare metal, the interior is all out and there is no motor or box. I have just primed the engine bay today. there is a hell of a lot of work still to go but im getting there slowy but surely.

I have just bought a flair kit from Lionel at Gremlin performance (looks tops) but have only had it taped there so far and Im in need a bit of welding work done and I have NFI how to weld but am keen to learn if someone if willing to teach me (beer and cash on offer)

Ill post up a few pics of the journy so far. Thanks again for all the great information and I lookforward to more tips n tricks to help me along the way.

#2 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

had just started pulling her apart

Attached Files

#3 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

a couple of panels primed

Some engine bay work today

Attached Files

#4 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

This is where im up to

Attached Files

#5 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

nice work so far !

was it royal plum in colour ?

#6 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Yes it was, Im planing on a purple again, but im thinking a fair bit darker than the plum was

#7 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Good stuff mate, now you got the motivation and the bug don't bloody stop! Keep the updates comin,
What's the plans for it colour, 6 or v8?

I'll be keepin a tab on this build
Cheers

#8 _BARRY JACKPOT_

_BARRY JACKPOT_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:04 AM

Looks good dude. Hatches are cool

#9 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Looks like a great start mate, something like hsv run in the vs? Cherry black !? Love that colour

#10 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

well trial fitted the front flares tonight, look pretty good. the back one will take a lot more work. ill post some photos later. did find a couple of nasty spots of cancer that I didnt know about.. damn it. should be easy enough to fix. If anyone is in the north brisbane area and is handy with a welder please let me know, i need a few areas welded up and I have nfI how to weld. happy to supply beer, bourbon or cash :)

#11 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Was planning to get hold of a couple rust replacement panels this weekend, anyone have suggestions on where to get them? Was looking at rare spares or one of the eBay mobs.
I'm after Floor pans, radiator support and rear beaver panel.

Any advise will be much appreciated

#12 308mate

308mate

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:scott
  • Car:76 SS hatch (Royal Plum, Chevron Chamois interior), HQish Van (Orchid Metallic)
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Can't advise on the panels...but I can say I'm most impressed to know someone else out there had a purple hatch for their first car.

Rip into it man. Can't go past Royal Plum Metallic... think of the memories. Enjoy.

#13 GJWHATCH

GJWHATCH

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Name:Greg White
  • Car:UC Converted to LX Hatch

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Jas

Retrorods is the best place for replacement panels good quality,great price and a great bloke to deal with

here is the link http://www.retrorods.net.au/

#14 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I just bought 2 lower quarters, front lower radiator support and rear beaver for 500 odd

I just bought 2 lower quarters, front lower radiator support and rear beaver for 500 odd from retro rods, great bloke

#15 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

not much progress to report, however I did buy myself a mig today. figured there is a few bit n pieces that will need some welding so its time to learn. picked up a shitty old panel from the wreckers to butcher and that much i have achieved. has anyone got any tips or links to good tutorials? i watched some stuf on youtube and they make it look easy as im sure some of you guys would too.

#16 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hey mate I was in the same situation as you around 6 months ago, I have
Watched pretty much every vid on you tube on mig welding and they help out heaps.
To be honest the best way to learn is to practice. I am not an expert welder but I have gained
Confidence using a mig over the past few months because I have been tackling some rust spots on the car.
Also look into your local Tafe they might run a car resto course witch here in Vic it's around the 500 bucks for 10 weeks or so.

Cheers
Nick.

#17 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Thanks nick ill keep practicing ;)

I trial fitted my front flairs today. Put 3 bolts in each side and I think they look pretty good and seem to fit up nice with out cutting my guards. Should I need to cut them? The flairs have a lip on the bottom that fits hard up against the guard so can't see any reason to cut them

I have roughly tacked the back ones up and it is obvious they will need to be cut to fit properly. I have read the posts from Ruts ( awesome info thanks ) but any thoughts on the front ones would be great

I'll post some pics of the tomorrow night ( seems I can't upload from iPad )

Jas

#18 bags

bags

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Hey mate your build is looking good.
As for cutting the gards guys only do it to fit wider/taller tyres and also so they can lower the car more.

#19 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Here are a couple of photos with the flairs on the front. I have only put a couple of bolts in and the rubbers not on but you get the idea

Attached Files

#20 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sprayed the bonnet and 1rear quarter today with hi fill primer. Bonnet is very very straight so won't need much sanding but the back quarter will tke some serious sanding hours. Hope to prime up the front guards and the roof during the week.

#21 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Nothing too exciting to report on the project. I have been sick as a dog for weeks with the man flu, never been so knocked around by a bloody flu before. I have done some block sanding and got a trial color to have a look at. it is an acrylic purple, the color came out ok considering I didnt fully prep it to spray. I just wanted to get a feeling for the color, but i just couldnt get the clear right, i sprayed about 3 coats and it looked shit house, like a faided old car. so I sanded it off and went again, looked much better, i waited about 3 days to buff it up but it just did not shine up at all, stayed flat and lifeless so more reading required. here are a couple of pics.

Attached Files

#22 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

Nice project : )

I've also been sick lately with pneumonia, lasted about 7 weeks and got knocked around bad. frOcking sux.

Not a fan of acrylic, I like enamels but whatever works. Looks matter than matt than one, what's the matter with it? : /

#23 _L31SS HATCH_

_L31SS HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Try practicing painting on your old panels aswell. 2 pacs IMO are the way to go! Easy to use awesome finish. There's only one way to learn, have a crack at it yourself and learn from you mistakes.

#24 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi all, been mia for a few months with a hernia. But I'm back and looking to get re motivated. I'm looking at a VQ statesman and a vn this weekend. Both are 5L that I'm thinking about using as donors for the hatch. I know there are a few guys around that have done this type of conversion so I'm looking for any recommendations between the 2. They have done similar ks and both auto. Cheers Jas

#25 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

6 one way half a dozen the other, it's the same efi system, I'd be inclined to get the best condition one,

I stripped a vq to do my conversion

How's the welding goin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users