#26 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

From what I can see in the pictures the front flares look fine, good job.

Ruts

#27 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks ruts, the fronts just seemed to fit. It's the back ones that scare me.

The welding, like the rest of the project all stalled when I went in to hospital. I have be hunting through the TAFE and it seems both NSW and VIC run regular welding, panel beating and spray painting short courses for hobbiests but can't find anything in QLD

Have been practicing and you tube is a great resource these days, I think I'm almost ready to have a go at the hinge area under the bonnet. The other parts like the beaver panel might wait a bit longer. If I pick up a donor car soon that will keep me plenty busy

#28 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Picked up my rear beaver panel, floor pans and door sill from rare spares tonight, I need the radiator support too but theirs does not have the curve in it that I have read so many times is needed. The guy was telling me no one makes them like that, can anyone confirm?

#29 torana_nick

torana_nick

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Name:Nick
  • Car:LH Torana Project

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I got mine from Aussie Restos on eBay. It has the dip and fits with minimal mods.

#30 tuxedoss

tuxedoss

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:ss

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Give Retro Rods a call for the rad support, I suspect that's where Aussie restos get them from as they look identical. It's not perfect but far better than the Rares spares one. It has the dip in it just the ends don't line up at all. I modified the ends of mine to mate up, depends how picky you are.

#31 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:12 PM

Well it’s been a little while between posts lol and nothing much has changed. I still have the hatch but I’m ready to try again. Moved to a new place with a killer shed and have room to move. Looking forward to getting back into it!

#32 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:25 PM

Welcome back. What area you live in Bris?

#33 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2020 - 07:05 AM

On the Northside, around Narangba / Morayfield area.

#34 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:33 PM

I have a fabricator coming around to give me a quote for the rust repairs this week. Fingers crossed it will get started in the next couple of weeks. 2 questions for now, 1- anyone recommend a sand blaster around the Northside of Brisbane?
2- I will be starting to hunt motor and box soon, want to go 308 and manual. Is supra still the way to go for the box? Have no intention of building a race motor, just a Sunday cruiser

#35 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

6cyl Falcon T5 or Toyota W58 are both excellent options, particularly if you're not building a hottie.

You can run full cable V8 Commodore geometry with a basic few modifications to the pedal, dash frame, and firewall (before paint).

(or you can run hydraulic, but you really don't need to)

#36 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Heath. Might be a stupid question, but I was just reading an old post that suggests that I could keep my 4 speed that was behind my 202? I’m assuming it would not be that strong but is it an option? Would be great to save a few bucks early in the build and come back to a box later

#37 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:04 PM

On the Northside, around Narangba / Morayfield area.

Feels like I'm the only torana guy left on the southside.

#38 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Heath. Might be a stupid question, but I was just reading an old post that suggests that I could keep my 4 speed that was behind my 202? I’m assuming it would not be that strong but is it an option?

An M20 behind a V8 is an option, but to achieve this, I think you're looking at an input shaft, a bellhousing, and maybe a candlestick holder, plus whatever actuates the clutch (pedal/linkage/fork/cable etc.). I think none of that stuff from the 6cyl will work with a V8. The details can be explained better by someone who's done it but certainly those bits won't come for free.

I would be inclined to keep the 6cyl & M20 and then change to a V8 and maybe a better gearbox in one hit (if you do ultimately want a 5spd).
Unless you see someone selling a V8 Aussie 4spd kit cheaply, which is possible. Particularly an early Commodore one with full cable/pull type bellhousing and fork I guess?

#39 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

A V8 4 speed behind a 6 is a simple spacer plate.

Putting a 6 4 speed behind an 8 is more difficult.

Could just change the input shaft, but while you are doing that you may as well replace a few more things in the box.

The basic strength of the boxes is much the same.

5 speeds from 6 cyl Fords and Commodores can be had very cheaply if you find the right place.

I looked at a 5 speed from a Commodore and the guy was going to sell me everything including the pedals for $150.

Given that, what you save going one direction can cost you in other ways than the initial purchase price.

Cheers

Rob

#40 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:14 PM

Cheers guys. Might just go back to my original plan and keep hunting a 308 and w58. I have plenty of time, rust repairs get started next weekend so prob 12 months away from needing something. Couple of photos of the rust repairs, not a lot needed.

Attached Files

Edited by Jas76hatch, 31 July 2020 - 09:19 PM.

#41 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:22 PM

Finally some progress to report! New rad support is in, bonnet hinge plates cut out and replaced and drivers sill cut out. Tomorrow will be other side sill, and passenger floor pan all going to plan

Attached Files

#42 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:56 PM

That's a cracking start.

#43 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Bit more done this weekend. Bonnet sections finished, new passenger floor pan and inner sill in. So good to see actual progress!

Attached Files

#44 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:27 PM

:spoton:

#45 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

Inner and outer sill and drivers floor done this weekend. Next weekend is beaver and hatch channel. Couple more photos, so happy with the progress over the last couple of weekends.

Attached Files

#46 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:10 PM

All good progress Jas.  Won't be long and you'll be needing that motor.  Cheers Ron

#47 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:32 PM

Small C Chanel tidy up, and a couple of little surprises uncovered and fixed. Beaver all set ready to go on next weekend. Coming along well, lost a lot of time This weekend which cost getting the beaver finished :(

Attached Files

#48 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

Little more done this weekend. Beaver is done, nose cone cleaned up and chopped the rear guards for the flairs. That was a nerve racking experience but came up real good.

#49 christolx

christolx

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Car:1976 LX SL Coupe

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:50 PM

very very similar to where my car was at in regard to rust repairs when i first got it blasted. I guess that's all the usual spots for a 40yo Hatch  :<_<:

#50 _Jas76hatch_

_Jas76hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

I asked this in the fabrication thread but have not hat a reply. Would 50x50x2mm steel tube be strong enough for a basic rotisserie set up or at am I better of hunting something g 3-4mm? I’m at the point I need some sort of dolly to get her down for basting so figure having something to make my life easier to get underneath makes sense at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users