53 replies to this topic

#1 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

Now I think the LH manual shows the outrigger bush being installed ass about?? And the UC book shows it correctly?

So it this the correct installation of this bush...?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its going to be a squeeze trying to get the legs in between the K-Frame... I think I have 71cm between the chassis rails and from the outter part of the bush on either side is approx 73cm... I know the bush will compress once fitted... but its getting it into place that will be the bugger...

Ill aim to try and use the ratchet straps around the legs and a couple of well lubed up scrapers...?

#2 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

That is the way I would fit them!!. The ratchet strap trick works a treat , and if you are going to use a scraper be careful to use a lubricant that won't harm the rubber ie. rubber grease or dish soap.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Now I think the LH manual shows the outrigger bush being installed ass about?? And the UC book shows it correctly?

So it this the correct installation of this bush...?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its going to be a squeeze trying to get the legs in between the K-Frame... I think I have 71cm between the chassis rails and from the outter part of the bush on either side is approx 73cm... I know the bush will compress once fitted... but its getting it into place that will be the bugger...

Ill aim to try and use the ratchet straps around the legs and a couple of well lubed up scrapers...?

AFAIK they are supposed to be installed the other way around with the wide flange facing the centre of the car.

#4 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

This is what Im up against Dave... What to believe....???? UC's were the ultimate car so I guess they had it right??

Posted Image

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

I see what you mean Brad.

The LJ has them installed the same way as the LH. When I did up my front suspension I installed the outrigger bushes so the flanged end sat agianst the chassis rail. Wasn't long after trying to put the crossmember back into the car that I found there was no way it was going to go in. Pulled the bushes back out, put them in the other way (which incidentally I read some years later on in a Dealer Service Letter, is the correct way to install them) and the whole shebang fitted up without much drama.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, and I've never worked on LH/LX/UC front suspensions, maybe there is a slight difference in the outriggers on the UC RTS suspension compared to the LH to allow for the thickness of the flanged end on the bush.
That said, even with the bushes installed in the LJ with the smaller tapered end facing the chassis rails there is still an interference fit between the rails but not impossible to overcome.

#6 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

I hear what your saying Dave, taking measurements between the rails and how I have the bushes fitted, Im scratching my head as to how Im going to pull the legs in far enough to get it to fit in between the rails... i can see some spanner throwing happening...

I might spin them around and take some measurements that way also, see what Im up against!! im dreading getting this thing back in... pulling it out was easy!! Didnt have to worry about not scratching anything!!!!!

#7 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I'd be interested to see how you go as Rob suggested using ratchet straps to pull the two outrigger arms toward one another a fraction.??? I didn't replace the outrigger bushes when I had my front end out so it only took a bit of levering to get back in but those new bushes in your photos look kind of plump, so could be a hassle. Will be interested to see how you go.

#8 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

Guess you want some pics of the unmolested ?

Too dark out there now to get proper pics...I tried
But looks like the LH pic is right to my car without a good inspection

#9 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

Hahahahaha, Well I wont say no!!!! Im pretty easy! Hahahahaha

Yes please mate, once the sun makes an appearance I would be over the moon to see a pic! Ive seen this discussion come up a few times but this would put the question to bed!

Thank you!

#10 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

you will be surprised just how much you can get those arms to move ,though 2cm sounds like alot .....

#11 _walpolla_

_walpolla_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

Brad, your pics look right. I have an unmolested LH front end on the ground and have taken a pic for you.
Also, my method of pulling the arms in was a length of 1/2" thread bar, and I dismantled and used only 2 of the hooks from my el cheapo spring compressors. Pic of those too.
Used dishwash liquid to lube the bushes on re-assembly into the rails.
As Rob says, you will be surprised how much movement you will get out of those arms. The closer to the ends you get the force of your puller, the easier it is to move the arms obviously.
It is a while since did mine, but my thread device made it a breeze, plus you will have the spring compressors to use on your next Macpherson strut type spring removal. Bonus !

EDIT: On thinking about this, and the fact you have your sway bar already fitted by the looks, it might pay to release the sway bar so it can move easy. Less force required to move things. One side should be all thats required.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hope this helps.

regards,Rod

Edited by walpolla, 04 July 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#12 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hey Rod!!!! Thanks for those pics mate! Interesting little tool you have there! Ill try the ratchet straps first as there is less chance of scratching, but just more chance of snapping and hitting me in the eye....

Maybe GMH just fitted the bus however the hell they felt like it... Wonder how they got the legs squeezed in at the factory?

#13 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Brad,

I looked at this issue to for my LX SS because the diagram in the LH parts manual didn't seem right when looking at the profile of the bush - it doesn't make sense to have a cupped side that then is squashed flat against the chassis rail - why woud they make it in this shape if that was to occur...

I found a few threads on here (can't recall which now sorry), spoke to some club members with decades experience amongst them, and looked at some (supposedly) unmolested cars to assist, and all corroborated the UC diagram that you provided and the photos posted above by walpolla - simply it seems the big flat side of the bush goes against the chassis rail as would appear the right way to do it.

Cheers, TB

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Brad,

I looked at this issue to for my LX SS because the diagram in the LH parts manual didn't seem right when looking at the profile of the bush - it doesn't make sense to have a cupped side that then is squashed flat against the chassis rail - why woud they make it in this shape if that was to occur...

I found a few threads on here (can't recall which now sorry), spoke to some club members with decades experience amongst them, and looked at some (supposedly) unmolested cars to assist, and all corroborated the UC diagram that you provided and the photos posted above by walpolla - simply it seems the big flat side of the bush goes against the chassis rail as would appear the right way to do it.

Cheers, TB

So the cupped end gets squashed flat up against a large flat washer - same difference isn't it?

Cheers
Dave.

#15 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Not really IMO, and regardless the profile of the bush tells the story - it doesn't make sense to go the other way.

And we can't rely on the LH Parts or Service manuals - jeepers they have the tie rod ends going into the steering arms from the wrong direction - because of the taper they physically cannot fit the direction they are depicted - and so cannot be routinely relied upon. Whereas I see the UC manual as being more reliable because errors of this ilk are likely to have been remedied.

But by all means, if your level of knowledge about these 'out-rigger bushes' is more intimate than mine, then by all means please share. To be honest I know very little about it - I've gone by what I was told, what I have seen, what I have read concerning other more knowledgeable folk's appraisal of the matter, and (as I said) just having a look at the bush and working out as best I can what seems right.

Given walloper's post/photos I reckon I might just be for once... however, usually this degree of cockiness is short-lived for me, and ordinarily means I am about to be well and truly schooled in all things 'LH Torana Out-Rigger Bushes'...

Cheers, TB

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Not really IMO, and regardless the profile of the bush tells the story - it doesn't make sense to go the other way.

And we can't rely on the LH Parts or Service manuals - jeepers they have the tie rod ends going into the steering arms from the wrong direction - because of the taper they physically cannot fit the direction they are depicted - and so cannot be routinely relied upon. Whereas I see the UC manual as being more reliable because errors of this ilk are likely to have been remedied.

But by all means, if your level of knowledge about these 'out-rigger bushes' is more intimate than mine, then by all means please share. To be honest I know very little about it - I've gone by what I was told, what I have seen, what I have read concerning other more knowledgeable folk's appraisal of the matter, and (as I said) just having a look at the bush and working out as best I can what seems right.

Given walloper's post/photos I reckon I might just be for once... however, usually this degree of cockiness is short-lived for me, and ordinarily means I am about to be well and truly schooled in all things 'LH Torana Out-Rigger Bushes'...

Cheers, TB

G/day Craig

Well I'm certainly not an expert in all thingsTorana, esp LH/LX/UC, but learning new stuff all the time just like everyone else thanks to this forum.

Please note that the following is related to the LC/LJ Torana, however as the LH uses the same outrigger bush it may be pertinent.

GMH Dealer Service Letter dated September 1973 advises Dealers that some Torana vehicles may have had the crossmember brace to frame side rail bushes Part Number 7211458 installed incorrectly.

Quote: This bush is designed so the larger diameter head accepts braking force and correct installtion is essential.

There is also a drawing showing the bush is to be installed with the large head facing toward the centre of the vehicle not the chassis rail.

Maybe this bush was installed differently for the LH Torana, however I suspect that the braking forces would be transmitted through the LH/LX crossmember brace in the same manner as in the LC/LJ's.

So, in my humble opinion the LH parts catalogue is showing the correct installation for the bush in an LH Torana.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by S pack, 04 July 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#17 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

then it was installed incorrectly in every LX torana i've owned, ( 6) plus the lads LH.

If for point of argument we call it a T shape ( looking side on)

All of mine have had the larger diameter between the chassis and the outrigger, as shown in the above photo. I also agree it seems the common sense mounting .

While not arguing your bulletin, i would argue that LJ and LX are different

#18 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

oh, by the by Brad, loosen of the sway bar when you are installing the frame

#19 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

I think that it would be most important to have the larger portion of the bush between the x-member and chassis rail to prevent any movement from side to side . The outriggers are the only things on the front x-member that do this ( I know their primary function is to stop forward and backward movement under braking ect) , however I would be worried that fitting them the other way may allow the distance between the outrigger and chassis rail to vary when cornering. I always fit them with the large side sandwiched between x-member and chassis as per Walpolla (Rods) pictures . Nolathane bushes years ago (the last time I fitted them ) were 2 piece bushes the same size either side.

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

I think that it would be most important to have the larger portion of the bush between the x-member and chassis rail to prevent any movement from side to side . The outriggers are the only things on the front x-member that do this ( I know their primary function is to stop forward and backward movement under braking ect) , however I would be worried that fitting them the other way may allow the distance between the outrigger and chassis rail to vary when cornering. I always fit them with the large side sandwiched between x-member and chassis as per Walpolla (Rods) pictures . Nolathane bushes years ago (the last time I fitted them ) were 2 piece bushes the same size either side.

G/day Rob

I agree with you on some points and disagree on others.
Originally the HB and early LC Torana's had two piece bushes but sometime during LC production they changed to the one piece design.

I've given a fair bit of thought to the braking forces applied to the crossmember braces. Besides the braking force trying to push the whole front end straight back the braking forces applied to the lower control arms would be transmitted to the braces through the rear inner LCA bush (LH models) and be trying to push/flex the braces away from the chassis rails. Surely the larger head on the bush would do a better job of controlling this flexing than the smaller end of the bush, which incidentally is the only end of the bush that will go through the hole in the brace.

So to me the installation advice in the Dealer service letter makes perfect sense, not just for LC/LJ but LH etc as well.

That said, I'm not going to argue with the body of evidence presented from experienced LH/LX/UC owners as to how GMH originally installed these bushes.

Cheers
Dave

#21 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Very good point indeed about the braking forces Dave. What you say and what the letters states I feel would be correct. Very interesting discussion. If a Service Bulletin was issued, who's to say all staff read it.....? Im sure there were probably a lot of service bulletins about different models so trying to remember all the details of all bulletins could be hard.

Oh and point taken on the sway bar loosening!

Edited by hanra, 05 July 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#22 _robslxhatch_

_robslxhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

I've given a fair bit of thought to the braking forces applied to the crossmember braces. Besides the braking force trying to push the whole front end straight back the braking forces applied to the lower control arms would be transmitted to the braces through the rear inner LCA bush (LH models) and be trying to push/flex the braces away from the chassis rails.

I see where you are coming from Dave . All I can offer is that I have always fitted them in the same way and never had an issue (including Nolathane and Superpro in my own) cheers Rob

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Very good point indeed about the braking forces Dave. What you say and what the letters states I feel would be correct. Very interesting discussion. If a Service Bulletin was issued, who's to say all staff read it.....? Im sure there were probably a lot of service bulletins about different models so trying to remember all the details of all bulletins could be hard.

#24 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

G/day Brad

Just so you know, Dealer Service Letters were only sent to the Dealers, they were not sent to the Assembly Plants, so what happened at the Assembly Plants would have been controlled by different channels like Engineering Bulletins.

The Dealer Service Letters come into play when a car goes in to a Dealer for service or repairs.
I'll bet that through the passage of time and staff turnover the content of these Letters have been forgotten so the mechanics just end up putting things back the same way as they come out, just like all of us home mechanics who don't know that something was originally installed incorrectly or that important modifications/part replacements must be made to maintain the reliability or safety of the vehicle.
And yes there are heaps of these GMH Service Letters pertaining to different models and variants.

Ahhh, the joys of working on 40 year old cars and trying to find people/businesses that know any more about repairing them than we do.

Cheers
Dave.

Edited by S pack, 05 July 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#25 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Here is the LC and LJ outrigger bush installation. Like you say Dave, if these things were installed ass about it would be very easy to miss once the dealer saw the vehicle. Ive spun my bushes around and fitted them as the LH manual shows. LC/LJ/LH all show it this way, its only UC that is different.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by hanra, 07 July 2012 - 10:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users