38 replies to this topic

#1 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Ive finally got the column fitted to the car and then came time for the magical moment of fitting the steering wheel... and..... it dosnt fit... The splines are right at the upper part of the boss of the wheel and do not mesh with the column, and the end of the column barely pokes out past the boss.

When I brought the car home, it was fitted with a boss kit and SAAS wheel, the "original steering wheel" was included in the sale.

Is something incorrect with the column? Or do I not have an SLR steering wheel? Another expense....

The P/N in the parts book is 2817164, which is totally different from the number on this wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by hanra, 14 July 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#2 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

Hi

In my LX parts catalogue P/N 2817164 has been pen amended with 92003176 which is probably when the spoke thickness went from 5mm to 3mm. They should be interchangeable otherwise both numbers should appear.

Cheers

Bazza

Edited by Bazza, 15 July 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#3 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hi

In my LX parts catalogue P/N 2817164 has been pen amended with 92003176 which is probably when the spoke thickness went from 5mm to 3mm

Cheers

Bazza

Correct Bazza.

Brad, can you post a pic of the business end of the steering column?

Edited by S pack, 15 July 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#4 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Hi

My LJ catalogue has also been pen amended. So it appears that the 3mm version suits all applications that were originally 5mm.

Cheers

Bazza

#5 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi

My LJ catalogue has also been pen amended. So it appears that the 3mm version suits all applications that were originally 5mm.

Cheers

Bazza

Correct, the 3mm (ADR compliant) spoke wheels superseded the original 5mm spoke wheels.

Cheers
Dave.

#6 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Yes, but is there a difference between the Torana wheels and H series GTS wheels??

Posted Image

From the top bearing to the end of the column is 6cm.

Posted Image

As you can see the column dosnt poke through the wheel...

Posted Image

If this dick wasnt here and the splines were lower down, it would work.

Posted Image

#7 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Brad, the GM sports steering wheel you have fits LJ,LH,LX,UC,HQ,HJ,HX,HZ,WB and I believe it will also fit Commodores up VK and maybe VL.

They are a neat fit on the splines and once fitted you usually need a steering wheel puller to get them off again.
With the wheel sitting on the steering shaft in your pic, there should be a corresponding gap equal to approx 95% of the length of the shaft thread between the top edge of the coffee pot and the bottom edge of the grained vinyl cover under the spokes. When the wheel is fully engaged on the shaft this gap will close up to between 1 & 3mm.

Check the splines inside the wheel for casting dags and burrs and also check the steering shaft splines.
You may need to get a small triangular file to lightly clean up the splines.

Sparingly lubricate the splines with grease and gently wiggle the wheel from side to side as you push it onto the splines.
Once you have enough thread protruding install the retaining nut and use it to push the wheel on the rest of the way.

BTW, I wouldn't install the steering wheel until you have the front suspension in, the steering connected and rough alignment and toe in settings made.

Edited by S pack, 15 July 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

Ok, just looking at your first pic of the top of the column fitted in the car. Where is the spring that sits between the 'C' circlip and the upper column bearing, I can't see it, did you install it? If that spring is missing the shaft won't be held up in the correct position.

Edited by S pack, 15 July 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#9 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

I put that spring on before the coffee pot went on..... Have I assembled the bloody thing incorrectly? I didn't take enough pics when I pulled it apart....

At the moment the outter rubbery part of the wheel is hard up against the coffee pot so it will not go on any further so the colum will not protrude through anymore.

And yes the wheel will go on properly last.. I just wanted to place it there and pretend!!!!!

#10 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

I put that spring on before the coffee pot went on..... Have I assembled the bloody thing incorrectly? I didn't take enough pics when I pulled it apart....

At the moment the outter rubbery part of the wheel is hard up against the coffee pot so it will not go on any further so the colum will not protrude through anymore.

And yes the wheel will go on properly last.. I just wanted to place it there and pretend!!!!!

What are we going to do with you Brad? LOL.
Yep, pull the column apart you've put the spring in the wrong place.
In the pics in your steering column thread you have the spring and two flat washers.
Install one flat washer up against the steering wheel side of the upper bearing, then the spring, then the other flat washer and finally the 'C' circlip.
The round wire ring clip further down the shaft will then be pulled up tight against the under side of the bearing.
This has the effect of compressing the bearing races together and holds the shaft up at the correct height.

Edited by S pack, 15 July 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#11 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

frOck

#12 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

G/day Brad

Mate, note that the two flat washers for the spring are not the same. One of them measures .75" x 1.00" x .0478" .
This washer goes on top of the spring under the circlip.
Group 6.521 in the LJ parts catalogue. Might be the same group coding in the LH parts book?

#13 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Right. Now how the frOck do I compress the spring whilst preventing the shaft from sliding back into the column and then fit the circlip.

Posted Image

Edited by hanra, 15 July 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#14 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Brad,
The lower circlip is on the shaft to stop the pot moving down the shaft right?
Posted Image

If so, I don't quite understand the problem but would appreciate you posting the remedy when you work it out please, given I am just a few steps behind you in this regard.

Cheers, TB

#15 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Success..... Phew.

Posted Image

Plenty of thread now!!

Posted Image

Thanks Dave!!! I owe you plenty!!! Geez I was cranky last night.... Planning the colum strip down in my head as I slept...

Posted Image

#16 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,831 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Brad,
The lower circlip is on the shaft to stop the pot moving down the shaft right?
Posted Image

If so, I don't quite understand the problem but would appreciate you posting the remedy when you work it out please, given I am just a few steps behind you in this regard.

Cheers, TB

The lower clip on the shaft is to stop the shaft going up through the bottom of the pot. The pot can't move as its fixed to the colum.

My issue was securing the upper circlip to the shaft whilst compressing the spring and preventing the shaft from sliding down into the column. Prior to all of this I had assembled the column incorrectly.

#17 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yeah Brad you've got it, good work. As Grant (Agent 34) would say, 1 more millimetre. :spoton:

Hahahaha, you owe me a beer mate.

Cheers
Dave.

#18 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

You've done well Brad, its fun getting that circlip in without it flying off into the jungle ?

#19 _blair_

_blair_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

hi, i have a gts steering wheel on my lj torana but i am missing parts to make the horn button work is there any chance someone can help me figure out what parts i need to fix it, thanks blair

#20 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

G/day Blair and welcome.

Assuming you have the following parts http://www.rarespare...R1A&brand=RARE, then you are probably missing the horn contact ring that you need to remove from your original steering wheel (if you have it) and fit to the underside of the new steering wheel.

Cheers

Dave.

#21 _blair_

_blair_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

thanks for that

#22 _kuseetha_

_kuseetha_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:35 PM

G/day Brad

Mate, note that the two flat washers for the spring are not the same. One of them measures .75" x 1.00" x .0478" .
This washer goes on top of the spring under the circlip.
Group 6.521 in the LJ parts catalogue. Might be the same group coding in the LH parts book?

Hi Dave,

I don't wish to steal this thread but thought to bring it here since its relevant.

I have sourced a steering column and it only had the lower snap ring, the spring and the top nut. I was advisd to fix it with two washers and the top circlip as you have explained. So I sourced two washers and a circlip and got the washers' inner diameter cut to the same size as the steering rod.

http://oldholden.com...es/IMAG2035.jpg

http://oldholden.com...es/IMAG2037.jpg

http://oldholden.com...es/IMAG2065.jpg

http://oldholden.com...es/IMAG2066.jpg

http://oldholden.com...her setup_0.jpg

Could you find me the dimensions of these OE washers?
You have told one of them is .75" x 1.00" x .0478".

Is that of the top washer?

Greatly appreciate your help.

Regards,

kuseetha

#23 _wldgtr_

_wldgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

Hi guys,

Can someone please tell me the order the retaining nuts go on and facing which way. After this stage where the shaft is pet riding through wheel.Can't find a diagram anywhere.
Cheers

Attached File  image.jpg   101.42K   20 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   2.48K   12 downloads

#24 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,119 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

Right nut first the smaller one is the lock nut

#25 _wldgtr_

_wldgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Ice,

Does the lock nut go on the way it's shown or other way round. (upside down)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users