n.s.w police cars

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

iam hoping someone will be going to the 150 years of n.s.w police and cars,
this exhibition at justice and police museum sydney will be open every day until october 12,
at the corner of albert and phillip st sydney near circular quay,
i would like to know more about g.t.r and x.u.1 n.s.w police cars my 73 bathurst x.u.1 was one
i live in vic have no hope of going, hope you are going john
vin

#2 _Shaune_

_Shaune_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Vin, Thanks for posting, now i know about it I'll be heading along.

Happy to help with getting any info you're after. I can take photos ect. I have reason understanding of XU1's and GTR.

PM me if you like. I can sen you my conact number ect.

Shaune

#3 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I seen a LC XU1 ex police car the other week.Interesting to see the different things on it like twin door locks.

#4 _turbotorrie_

_turbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Wow twin door locks,what was the purpose of them do you know how they worked

#5 _deantl2003_

_deantl2003_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

I would love to see photos of lj GTR-XU1 Police car in NSW. I hope someone can post them here and hope there is purple one. Thanks

#6 shadey1963

shadey1963

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:5/72 LJ S 2 door Model
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

A couple of pics in amongst this

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/39467-8th-month-73-xu1-detroit-locker/

#7 _Shaune_

_Shaune_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Steve - some great old school shots there..

#8 GeeTeeR

GeeTeeR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Car:LC GTR-XU1

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

is there a register with all cars the NSW police used? how can you tell if your 73 LJ GTR was a ex cop car

#9 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Car:TORANA

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

is there a register with all cars the NSW police used? how can you tell if your 73 LJ GTR was a ex cop car

NO !
The last documentation on these cars was destroyed back in 1994.

#10 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

​State Records Authority of NSW

Western Sydney Records Centre

143 O'Connell street

Kingswood, NSW 2747

Look at the NSW Government Motor Garage records for 1972 and 1973, they have a viewing room there to look at there records.

Look at your passenger side firewall in your Engine Bay and look to see if there is a hole with a rubber grommet and other holes in the firewall on the passenger side.  Contact NSW Police and asked them to put you in Contact with Tony Fitzgerald as he is there Expert on Old police cars.

Edited by xu2308, 09 September 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#11 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

As for the state records authority of NSW

I have known people to go there armed with information like Police Brass ID tag numbers,

rego numbers while the Torana was in service with NSW police as a STP car and found nothing.

For EX NSW GTR Police cars having one hole in firewall is 100% wrong and a myth.

The correct combination of holes in the firewall of a ex police GTR Torana goes like this

you can have the following

2 holes or 3 holes or 4 holes

It all depends on who and where the fit out was done. I will not give out sizes of holes as people could 

make fake cop cars.

Now we have a gentleman that worked on the GTR Toranas when they was in service 

with NSW Police.

Go to topic   POLICE WORKSHOP TORANA PERIOD

started by Balfiza 08 Aug 2012

very interesting read.(sorry dont know how to do links)

As for Tony Fitzgerald (100% ford man) I have been in contact with Tony and ask him alot of questions on STP GTR torana 

His reply was sorry I know very little too nothing on these cars. Dont get me wrong he is a nice bloke an expert on other things NOT EX POLICE GTR Toranas.

if you want to contact him go to his facebook page  NEW SOUTH WALES HISTORIC PATROL VEHICLES

Hope you enjoy information posted

cheers

#12 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:51 PM

As for the state records authority of NSW
I have known people to go there armed with information like Police Brass ID tag numbers,
 rego numbers while the Torana was in service with NSW police as a STP car and found nothing.

For EX NSW GTR Police cars having one hole in firewall is 100% wrong and a myth.
The correct combination of holes in the firewall of a ex police GTR Torana goes like this
you can have the following
2 holes or 3 holes or 4 holes
It all depends on who and where the fit out was done. I will not give out sizes of holes as people could 
make fake cop cars.
Now we have a gentleman that worked on the GTR Toranas when they was in service 
with NSW Police.
Go to topic   POLICE WORKSHOP TORANA PERIOD
very interesting read.(sorry dont know how to do links)
As for Tony Fitzgerald (100% ford man) I have been in contact with Tony and ask him alot of questions on STP GTR torana 
His reply was sorry I know very little too nothing on these cars. Dont get me wrong he is a nice bloke an expert on other things NOT EX POLICE GTR Toranas.
if you want to contact him go to his facebook page  NEW SOUTH WALES HISTORIC PATROL VEHICLES
Hope you enjoy information posted
cheers

Not posting under the name of crabba anymore Anthony ?

#13 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for your reply Gary. I am not this Anthony person.

If go to

Topic TORANA COP CARS

you will see my other posts of information on these EX NSW GTR POLICE CARS that I have made 

you will see no similarity between that person and myself

I have been researching STP (special Traffic Patrol) GTR Toranas for over 20 years

I hope information Helps 

cheers

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for your reply Gary. I am not this Anthony person.

If go to

Topic TORANA COP CARS

you will see my other posts of information on these EX NSW GTR POLICE CARS that I have made 

you will see no similarity between that person and myself

I have been researching STP (special Traffic Patrol) GTR Toranas for over 20 years

I hope information Helps 

cheers

Suggest you change your location to something other than Planet Earth. That's where Anthony lives.

#15 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:31 PM

Suggest you change your location to something other than Planet Earth. That's where Anthony lives.

Yep, that's what it looks like ! Same writing style

#16 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

thanks for the suggestion mate I will do

#17 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

thanks for the suggestion mate I will do

You just need a state & a first name mate, keeps it private, but it is nice talk to someone including their first name, seems more polite ! But you can do what you like, Gary.

#18 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yep, that's what it looks like ! Same writing style

I will repeat again I am not this Anthony person, Stop barking up the wrong tree
or I will contact the Administration team about this problem
cheers

#19 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:24 AM

Now now gents.

We have lost a lot of great contributors to this forum from being fed up with keyboard heroes.

Or havent you noticed we have gone from better than 2 pages of new posts every 24 hours to barely making one page?

#20 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

RM125n

Tony Fitzgerald knows heaps about the STP GTR torana's 

he knows where the holes are in the firewall are and about the Hole with the rubber grommet and the Alloy metal they put the Hella switches in, I spoke to Tony by phone about it.

NSW Police call him there old car expert and send people who contact them to Tony Fitzgerald. 

Sgt Pollard from the NSW Police told me,  he is the Guru on there old cars.

Edited by xu2308, 21 November 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#21 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

I will repeat again I am not this Anthony person, Stop barking up the wrong treeor I will contact the Administration team about this problemcheers

Read the post above this & i only mentioned about it being nice to be able answer someone back with a first name ect, to be polite,

#22 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

xu2308, on 21 Nov 2017 - 13:49, said:
RM125n

Tony Fitzgerald knows heaps about the STP GTR torana's
he knows where the holes are in the firewall are and about the Hole with the rubber grommet and the Alloy metal they put the Hella switches in, I spoke to Tony by phone about it.

NSW Police call him there old car expert and send people who contact them to Tony Fitzgerald.

Sgt Pollard from the NSW Police told me, he is the Guru on there old cars.

as for paragraph 1 I stand by my comments 100%
as for paragraph 2 XU2308 you also claim that NSW POLICE put the a 308 in your car
you left out some very important information POLICE WORKSHOP TORANA PERIOD
start by Balfiza 08 AUG 2012

Balfizar interveiwed two guys that worked at the POLICE WORKSHOPS Zetland and Enfield from 1967 to 2003
which means they saw the LJ GTR TORANAS as serving POLICE CARS with all the correct POLICE GEAR in them
they most likely installed this gear as well.
Here is some comments they made
Never, NO modification above GMH FACTORY SPEC, NO experimentation, NO prototype
Multiple holes in firewall
They also talk about LC GTR only (NO XU1s)
LJ GTRs TOO SLOW (Hence XU1s)
Police pack (xu1 with GTR badges/appearance-No rear spoiler)
These two GUYS I would class as experts ON POLICE GTRs they have work on and seen them in police trim

as for paragraph or sentance 3 I agree 100% with you. But I will state this that you didnt even know
that Tony Fitzgerald has a Facebook page on NEW SOUTH WALES HISTORIC PATROL VEHICLES that any person
could contact him on.You have posted many times on this site also claiming that you have a NSW GTR
police car with a V8 in it. The response you have had on this page has been in the NEGATIVE

as for Paragraph or sentance 4 I agree 100% with Sgt Pollard.But I will state that
Tony Fitzgerald has a great collection of old police cars all in mint condition as follows
1977 XC Falcon 4 door, 1977 XC Falcon 2 door, these are both ex NSW Highway Patrol cars
a 1979 ford F100 Bull Wagon, a Toyota 4 wheel drive from Police rescue and motor bikes
all these vehicles are in NSW Police Trim that TONY has restored them all too.
If you see the pattern of his collection HIGHWAY patrol or Later and TONY is an expert on them,remember
these are very OLD CARS now.
Note the following Highway started on 16/3/1975 with all new cars (its had 3 name changes since then
now its Traffic and highway patrol command).Also it was the end of special Traffic Patrol

A little more information for members The time frame I am only talking about is LJ GTR Toranas in service
with Special Traffic Patrol from 1/8/1972 until 31/10/1973
On the 12/7/1972 NSW Goverment sign a contract for GMH Holden to supply 300 GTR pursuit cars to replace
the mini which started from the 1/8/1972 in OCT 1973 37 xu1 disguised as GTRS was delivered to
Special Traffic Patrol

I have been researching for over 20 years now on these STP GTR TORANAS Why ? because I did own one with Log books
I have also came across 18 other EX police GTRs in this time, including VIN ROBERTS car who started this Topic
Hope all enjoy this information
cheers

Edited by RM125n, 23 November 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#23 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

I have never ever said the NSW Police put a 308 in my Car, that is you saying that on here in your comments above, unreal.

Well RM125n, the LH SLR5000 Torana on Trial there from GMH, no one recalls it but yet they have a Photo of it as large as life in there Collection of Photos, How long was it there for etc etc, no one could answer that, I asked heaps of time on that FB page (How long that LH SLR5000 was there for), As 21st Division did the Trial Testing, Seems none of the normal STP Cops know anything about that LH SLR5000 trial car or other Trial Cars ?. Even Wheels Magazine reported they had LH SLR5000 on trial when they did there big story on Police Supercars in there Mag back in the 1970's, looks like Robbo the Editor knew things again. Response were not in the negative, more like in the LH SLR5000 response, they didn't know.

My GTR has the Tell Tail signs, Hole in Firewall with Rubber Grommet and other holes in passenger side of the firewall and Hella switches in a Alloy Surround plus the brackets on the front valance. 

Edited by xu2308, 05 December 2017 - 02:05 AM.

#24 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

But I will state this that you didnt even know
that Tony Fitzgerald has a Facebook page on NEW SOUTH WALES HISTORIC PATROL VEHICLES 

I did know that Tony Fitzgerald runs that FB page: Thank You 

#25 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

I have never ever said the NSW Police put a 308 in my Car, that is you saying that on here in your comments above, unreal.

Well RM125n, the LH SLR5000 Torana on Trial there from GMH, no one recalls it but yet they have a Photo of it as large as life in there Collection of Photos, How long was it there for etc etc, no one could answer that, I asked heaps of time on that FB page (How long that LH SLR5000 was there for), As 21st Division did the Trial Testing, Seems none of the normal STP Cops know anything about that LH SLR5000 trial car or other Trial Cars ?. Even Wheels Magazine reported they had LH SLR5000 on trial when they did there big story on Police Supercars in there Mag back in the 1970's, looks like Robbo the Editor knew things again. Response were not in the negative, more like in the LH SLR5000 response, they didn't know.

My GTR has the Tell Tail signs, Hole in Firewall with Rubber Grommet and other holes in passenger side of the firewall and Hella switches in a Alloy Surround plus the brackets on the front valance.

I will answer in the following way

paragraph sentence 1 

You have written so many post you cant remember what you have written.

paragraph, sentence 2

This is your standard reply to any person that challenges you or your car NOT being a EX NSW POLICE CAR

As for 21 Division now that is a whole different story which has no relationship to your car at all. Just show any documentation that states your car was with NSW POLICE.

paragraph,sentence 3

xu2308 you haven t read this  topic I posted for you to read I well do it again for you

POLICE WORKSHOP TORANA PERIOD

these two gentleman that are experts on the GTR Toranas Police cars they also stated 

DEALER FITTED ACCESSORIES/ POLICE WORKSHOP FIT POLICE EQUIPMENT

The police workshop also removed all the police equipment at the end of the cars service life at 40,000 miles and only thing left was holes the car body.

The police even made there own wiring harness completely separate to GMH wiring to operate there own equipment.

When GMH installed these round driving lights on police GTR Toranas (also the same lights fitted to HT,HG holdens)NOT one of 

driving lights was ever mounted on the front bumper bar also NSW police did all the wiring to these driving lights as well and they only used TOGGLE switch such a easy switch to install.

NSW POLICE ONLY PURCHASED NEW CARS note the contract dated 12/7/72 sign by NSW Government and GMH to supply 300 GTR TORANAS and number of other NEW cars as well.

If you don t have your GMH log books with your car!

The only way to confirm an EX NSW POLICE CAR today is by the holes in the body of the GTR TORANA. As I have stated before all information on these cars was destroyed back in 1994.

If the forum members want to see a real EX NSW POLICE GTR TORANA go to  

LJ GTR in members Projects and Plans

started by dublin, may 30 2015

Read this topic carefully you will learn more about Police GTR Toranas. If you go to page 2 post 38 of this topic you will see a group of 3 hole in the firewall on the passengers side that was done by NSW Police installer also the vehicle had a roof center mount aerial. After 20 years of research of these cars I can say a pattern has shown on these EX POLICE CARS firewall of 2 holes ,3 holes, 4 holes 

As for your firewall holes xu2308 you don t have one hole here and one hole there if you go to post 82 on dublin topic you can see the holes in xu2308 firewall that he relies on.

When you have 2 holes in the firewall done by NSW Police the holes are both the same size and the size of the hole is larger than of  xu2308 one hole  with the rubber grommet. PLEASE NOTE! lesser the amount of holes in firewall done by NSW Police the larger the the holes become in size, this is to accommodate installation of police equipment.There is 28 holes in a ex NSW police GTR you don t even have one of these holes in your car xu2308.

As for all your other items you claim to make your car a ex nsw police GTR your hella rectangle spot lights drill and mount on front bumper bar(GMH only used round spot lights),Hella rocker on and off switches in alloy surround (NSW Police only used toggle switches)plus the brackets on your front valance panel you can see the bracket go to post 78 of LJ GTR topic and in this topic dublin states he has not got these brackets on his car. xu2308 all these items are of 1980s vintage.

Also go to topic TORANA COP CARS /(Trivia and memorabilia) I have also posted under this topic more information on these nsw police GTRs.

also under this topic you can see xu2308 photos of his spot lights. switches and other items here relies on as well.

GTR Police cars where only fitted with GMH accessories, I own a LJ Torana Accessories Book I cant find any of your equipment XU2308 in this GMH BOOK we are talking 1972-1973 era.

Now back to LJ GTR topic by dublin go to page 3 post 59 you can see a NSW police GTR parked ready to be auctioned off with GMH accessories, you can also see other NSW Police GTRs in this topic posted by other members note they all have round spot lights (Not rectangle spot light as xu2308 states)

In Summing up 

XU2308 I AM SORRY TO SAY, YOU DO NOT HAVE OR EVER HAD A EX NSW POLICE GTR TORANA, you also have been told by so many other people on so many other forum sites you dont have a ex NSW Police car IT HAS TO SINK IN ONE DAY all because you didnt do your research and ask the people that own these ex GTR police cars Like VIN 150 he was around then.

I have written all this information for the members of this forum if the members look all 3 topic I have named in this post you will get a very good understanding of an ex nsw police GTR Torana and what to look for (sorry I dont know how to do links yet)

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users