8 replies to this topic

#1 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I will soon get one shot at asking the workshop foreman of the police workshop (NSW Enfield Brunker Rd) some questions.

I am asking info on dealer codes but would not like to waste the opportunity!!!!

I will be asking for any photos and any records.

What other Torana related questions should I ask?????

What do we not know or need confirmation on.

This guy started and finished his working life at the Police workshop.

frivolous questions may well jepardise further communications if any!!! I think this is a unique opportunity.

Cheers
Balfizar

#2 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi Mate

You could ask him confirm whether there were any fuel injected GTRs used early in the piece before the XU-1s came on the scene. I recall hearing about them many years ago but have been unable to confirm.

Cheers

Bazza

#3 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Ask him about the hole in the firewall directly behind the positive feed to the starter motor. Possibly live feed for police two way? It wold be good to get confirmation if it is true. Question 2 did the xu1s actually have handcuff anchoring bars mounted in the rear footwell.

Cheers Dave

Edited by 71xu1, 08 August 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#4 shadey1963

shadey1963

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:5/72 LJ S 2 door Model
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

There was a comment a few weeks ago about 2 door locks on the (drivers??) door. The answer to that would be interesting

#5 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

When I had my LC GTR I foun out these facts.

The first report on the suitability of the Torana LC GTR as a Police Pursuit car was done by a fella still here in Cootamundra who was on the Highway Patrol at that time.

He said that they handled welll and had more leg room than the Cooper S (that would be bleeding well obvious)

Brian told me that records in those days were only kept for 4 years then destroyed.

They had a total of 6 GTR's here and one of which may have been an XU-1 as it had tripples.

Brian said that he had gone on holidays and when he had come back he found that his mate had written off his car.

I did hear about the bolt holes on the floor behind the drivers seat which was where the handcuff bar was and that there should have been 2 small holes just under the roll of, and to the centre of the glove box and this is where the Police "ID" number was screwed on.

Hope this helps, regards ... Barry

PS I have some Police GTR pics but they are easy to find anyway.

#6 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

spot on about the holes behind the glovebox from what I have been told by others. Some other facts I have found out are they were all licensed in the third month someting the government used to do, mudflaps all round, sunvisor, and spotlights

#7 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Given I was asking someone to remember 40+ year old info this is what I got from 2 guys that did it all.

(Sydney NSW Police workshop Zetland and Enfield) 1967 to 2003

You could ask him confirm whether there were any fuel injected GTRs used early in the piece before the XU-1s came on the scene.

NEVER, NO modification above GMH factory spec Police pack (warranty)no experimentation, no prototype.

the hole in the firewall directly behind the positive feed to the starter motor. Possibly live feed for police two way?

Different units were used city / country under dash and boot.

Multiple holes in firewall.

No direct connection without fusible link (no to starter motor connection to radio)

Fusible link at fusebox for police equipment.

Earth link (brass tag) for all police equipment (it makes sense to separate the police equipment)

Speedo cable re-routed to police certified speedo (I have to check if a re-routing hole was required, I expect so)

Radio suppressor on heater fan.

There was a comment a few weeks ago about 2 door locks on the (drivers??) door.

Oops, sorry missed that one, but I have established a reporte and will get the chance to communicate again.

I did hear about the bolt holes on the floor behind the drivers seat which was where the handcuff bar.?

Handcuff bar only on some LC’s and the practice was discontinued.

2 small holes just under the roll of, and to the centre of the glove box and this is where the Police "ID" number was screwed on.

Brass Police ID tag 2 x 1/8” holes A pillar drivers side door jam above check strap.

Glovebox had handheld spotlight bracket and 2 pin connector.

Radio hand unit was also dash or console mounted.

Police certified speedo was also bracket dash mounted.

Fire extinguisher boot mounted.

(Note some police cars with certified speedo installed had only delivery km’s on the instrument panel speedo when they were sold because the speedo cable was removed and reconnected to the police speedo during pre-delivery at the police workshop)

From their recollection:

LC GTR’s only (No XU1’s)

LJ GTR’s too slow (hence XU1’s)

Police pack (XU1 with GTR badges/appearance – no rear spoiler)

LC GTR brake issues

Police cars ordered 5 months in advance of delivery date.

Dealers fit accessories / Police workshop fit police equipment

They both recall complaints about Brock at Bathurst doing 120+ on conrod and they could not get close to this, new police spec after Bathurst complaint were an improvement (Happy)

One quoted LC GTR at 118 mph in top and 83 mph in 3rd and LJ GTR at 95 mph in top. I have no knowledge in this area!!

General complaint LJ 202 did not rev!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Balfizar, 16 August 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#8 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Balfizar

I asked about the fuel injected LC GTRs. Thanks for the response - seems there was nothing in the rumour. I had a GTR at the time (that's why I took special note) and can clearly recall reading about 'fuel injected' GTRs. It was supposed to have been a replacement for the Mini Cooper S.

Thanks again anyway.

Cheers

Bazza

#9 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

some good info. thanks for posting this all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users