Home Improvement

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#1 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Does anybody know what time it is??? ITS TOOL TIME

Ok, that little childhood memory (my favorite show as a youngen) aside, lets get started.

I've been belting on boring people in the shoutbox for ages about how i want to fix the old place up a bit, generally whilst sitting on my ass drinking beer (like now).

I have several ideas in mind, but no idea where to start, as im rather like Tim Taylor, just a bit less accident prone, or just tougher, dunno which.

Generally im useless with wood though, I will stand there and stare at it for hours working out how to join the shit, cant weld it sadly.

But, i've started. I've started in an area thas a bit more my style though, instead of Tim Taylors usual quote "more power", relevant as it is to the life of Bomber Watson, atm its "MORE SHED"

Now i already have a sizeable shed for suburbia, its about 126sq/m, and takes up most of the property. The hosue is a piddly 80sq/m or so including the pergola lol.

But alas, as the old saying "you live to your income" goes, so do you live to your shed space, no matter how big the shed it WILL be filled with useless junk, thus leaving no room for this junk to be used for anything usefull. My ski boat is currently a 15ft work bench, as an example.

I dont know how much Holden six gear is appropriate for one man to own, but i think im getting to the upper limit short of buying 100 acres somewhere.

I have been cleaning up quiet a bit, but i've found myself just moving the junk pile from one area to the next, so something has to be done.

Most of the people who follow my drivel will have seen these picks

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well the car trailer had a lot more "scrap" steel (more like priceless items) on it and has since been emptied again, somewhere other than my yard.

Good start. Basically that was last weekend, clearing up that area and loading the trailer up, then a little bit of trailer loading this weekend cleaning up out the side of the main shed.

I do have a small 2mx3m approx parts storage shed, but alas, thats full of stuff to. Some of it usefull, some of it im currently scratching my head. Do i really need 20 holden six lower thermostat housings, for example?

Behind this shed was a massive pile of junk amassed around an old brick BBQ that has been far from in service for many years now. Literally this pile was amazing. One of the downfalls of buying a house off your parents is the previous owners dont clear all there shit out when they leave, so i still had quiet a bit of the olds junk.

Dad used to rebuild small engines, lawn mowers and the like, on the side. He got the shits with that a while ago when people didnt want to pay for the work at all, often he would get a mower going for some old bloke, then the old lad wouldnt even want to cover the cost of parts.

So that hobby got given the flick, but the acres of random mower/small engine stuff remained. I pulled no less than six very large boxes of shit out of this area, buried underneath lots and lots of my random shit (exhaust systems, random steel i've picked up, that UC front end i'll probably never use, etc).

Naturally the ass was eaten out of most of these boxes, so it made for a rather irritating mission. Heres an example.

Posted Image

Yes, thats the bottom of the box still on the ground there. Did find some little green friends in that one, a nice surprise after the big frOck off spiders/rats i found lurking around the others.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

On the note of the rats, the old bittie who lives next door to that part of the property had been bitching for years that rats were living in that pile of junk. And living there they were, but they were eating macadamia nuts off HER tree and making a nest out of the leaves off HER paperbark, so when she came out for another winge when i was cleaning the area up she got a rude responce. This lady has lived there as long as i can remember (parents brought this place when i was 6 months old) and she has been old the whole time, i wouldnt dare guess how old she would be now days....Felt a bit bad telling here off but ffs.

So after shoveling about 500,000 macadamia nut shells and 100x that leaves off her paperbark out from around the bbq, hacking some branches off the old ladies paper bark with my machette and generally moving all the shit, i had something that looked like this

Posted Image
Posted Image

Moved some of the stuff that looked usefull around to the back of the shed, what was that about moving the pile around and around in circles again?

Posted Image

Infront of the shed looking a lot messyer, worst part about massive cleanups like this, gotta make it worse before it gets better

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then i used some old eaves i found in the pile, and some bits of reo bar i found in the pile, to make a little wall, and when i went to dump off the trailer full picked up some 90mm pvc pipe on the way back, as this corner of the properrty is a bit of a low area. I've never seen water run through there, but the old bittie says it does so i threw $20 worth of pvc in the ground to shut her up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Then the fun began, while i was at work dumping the car trailer load off (just rolled in and dropped it there, the boss can collect the money from scrap, i dont really care, it was easyer that way) i also nicked a big ass sledge hammer, and got to nock down the old BBQ.

Posted Image

Work has never been so fun.

I smashed the bricks up into reasonably small pieces and used these as fill, i'll get a couple of cubic meters of gravel to make a proper foundation, but i figured theres no use wasting good fill like the BBQ, plus it saved me having to take it away

Posted Image
Posted Image

I left this little corner of the BBQ for now, as i think its cool, like a roman ruin or something haha, small things.....

Posted Image

After i fill the area with gravel, im going to cover it all with some black plastic, then some sand and pave it with pavers out of the pergola, then put a few of those little clip together sheds on it. Im doing it that way because there a non fixed structure and the council cant bitch about them :D

Heres one of them, currently dads mower shed, its getting buggered off around the side, and i'll get another one similar but probably a bit bigger to put there to to put my holden sixes and gearboxes etc in :D

Posted Image

Thats as far as i have gotten for now, i'll get back to this shortly with some picks of the house currently and some of my stupid ideas....

I have absolutely no idea what im doing here, im just winging it, so if im doing something stupid let me know.

Cheers.

#2 _Hamster_

_Hamster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

some of thats useful? :mellow:

Nice cowboy hat.

Gj bomber :clappin:

#3 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Im a natural born hoarder, everything is usefull to me......

#4 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

bigger fences and gates bomber...if they can't see it they can't complain bout it :clappin:

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

yeah getting to the fence, currently basically non existant

The council can see all though, google earth....

#6 _hqlden_

_hqlden_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Hoarding is a disease u should get check out ASAP. Hehhehh

#7 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

yeah getting to the fence, currently basically non existant

The council can see all though, google earth....

not the council....and i'm sure using that's illegal anyway...invasion of privacy or some bs and against thier rules and regs...

#8 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,118 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

jesus you got some shit around there only way to fix that problem is a big 6 cubic metre bin and start filling you wont use half that stuff you got there dj how do i know coz im a compulsive hoarder

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

I've already taken a car trailer full away, theres about the same amount again lined up to be taken away, thats plenty....

#10 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Bout time you cleaned that eyesore up **newsflash, frenchville property prices jump 20% in 1 week!**

Im looking forward to watching you make something out of timber..!!

#11 Shtstr

Shtstr

Formerly lcxu105

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Name:Mmmmmmm
  • Car:lx hatchback lc gtr

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

All good Bomber. When we bought our pls 4 half years ago we took 32 loads in a 12x7 box trailer to the tip and 2 10 ton truck loads out of the place we bought. It was a deseased estate and the people we bought it of said it came with the house. We got an extra 10g off for that.

#12 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Lol, dave, that is bombers shit he has been there for years!

#13 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

:huh:

Attached Files

#14 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

You always make an entertaining story out of stuff like this. Great stuff!

#15 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Welding timber is no problem if you have an arc welder.

You will need to buy some Timbercraft Argonbark welding rods,but otherwise its a cinch.Just like steel..

#16 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

:blink2:

#17 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Welding timber is no problem if you have an arc welder.

You will need to buy some Timbercraft Argonbark welding rods,but otherwise its a cinch.Just like steel..

I've got a spare box of rods if you need them. :spoton:

#18 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

soooo... those UC upper control arms on that front end you're not going to use... postal my way maybe? lol.

I feel your pain about storage, I've put off knocking down the old laundry to extend the deck, purely because its full of parts that I have no space for elsewhere!

The underside of the deck is stacked with wheels and tyres, down beside the shed is the "old tyre" department with about 30 tyres (need to get rid of those I think.. problem with having your own tyre changer I spose!)

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Righto, seeing though tonight is a wright off, just jumped on to check the forums quickly then go do something (need to mount the solar panel to the top of the battery box for the winch battery o n the car trailer) but i got side tracked on here for the last three hours so may as well get more side tracked.

Nothing has changed since yester day on that front, but i wandered around taking a few more picks of chateau le bomber so i can throw up what the hole looks like and toss a few ideas of what i would like to do around :D

Posted Image

Pergola currently, this will be next to get attention, As mentioned in another thread im thinking about doing this area right up and putting in a proper BBQ/outdoor kitchen type thing and frOcking off the kitchen in the house.

Its rather well built, but has a stupid aluminium awning thing as a roof that leaks like a sieve

Posted Image

yes those light fittings fill with water when it rains.

I want to widen one side of it out so it and the laundry roof line up with the eave on the house, i think this would be awesomely cool, but have no idea how to do it....Have been pondering the situation for a while though and think i have it sorted.

This shot gives an idea of where it is and where i want to go

Posted Image

That will make the area about 1350 wider, giving me 7.6 meters. Also conveniently that will line it up basically with the entrance to the shed on that side, so no wasted space :D

The front section is a very solid looking peice of wood that runs right across sitting on bits of RHS. I will need to lenghen this to achieve my goal. I dont want to move the post or put another one in, so it wil lhave to be self supporting.

Posted Image

Im thinking about doing a notch cut type thing on it, like this

Posted Image

I will try to get the actual cut straighter.....

While thats off i was going to weld a second bit of flat bar to the post on the other side, then put four longg bolts all the way through the join and into the plates, i think this would be strong enough??

The eave is also joined about a meter in, so when i put a new longer bit on it will overlap this join making it a bit stronger to i think??

All this needs to move out

Posted Image

How would i go about extending thiese battens??

Posted Image

Im going to pull some of the cladding offf in line with the top batten thats screwed to the wall of the house and extend that so the rafter things have something to sit on, then extend the battens the sheet metal sits on to meet the new facia position, whats the best way to join the battens?

Just butt them up and nail/screw plates on either side? There will be two more rafters added in by my rough calks.

The rest of it looks pretty straight foward, in the pergola area im obviously gonna need battens, was just going to use some of teh same wood as used foro othe laundry battens and put it along the existing longitudional ones, should work methinks?

Whats the best way to join something like that? The little angle brackets like used to hold the current alloy roof on? With nails in the sides, what size etc?

LIke i said, i have no idea at all what im talking about here lol.

This will all work reasonably conveniently though, will make the whole roof 7.6 meters wide, meaning its a neat 10 sheets wide, gotta love that.

After it has a proper roof the pergola will get some better lighting etc, and im intent on frOcking the pavers off, these will likely end up around the side of the shed shortly, and putting down a slab. Then its just a case of whether to paint or tile, probably tile, nice black tiles would look good, how do you go keeping the grout white as white can be? Im really anal about color contrast and with black tiles i will NEED white grout otherwise it will piss me off, one of the reasons i was thinking about just painting it.....

Anyway, enough confused rantings there, lets continue the tour.

Walking in from the pergola we enter the laundry area

This is where my home brew stuff is and my old RC car gear that i will do something with one day....Usual story.

Posted Image

And to the right the lanundry part, walk down there and turn right again and your in the shitta. No picks of that

Posted Image

While im tiling/painting the pergola area i think i will do the same in this area. This is gonna be pricey lol.

Was thinking a small kitchenette in the laundry area where the home brew gear currently is might be ok. Theres a small cubboard directly to the right of that which could get nocked down and would be a good spot for the fridge. The kitchenette wouldnt need a stove, but i may be able to put ta dishwasher, sink, microwave etc in there. Ideas ideas....

Upstairs from there we have the kitchen as it exists now in all its 70's awesomeness

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i actually rather like the yellow benchtops and woodgrain cubboards, and funkyk ass lino. But, alas, its really to big for what we do in there and as you can see to convenient a spot to dump shit. So im thinking even though lots of people would kill for a kitchen that big it really should get sent to the scrappy.

Lounge room as it exists atm, this will probably be the area to get attention after the pergola/laundry. The whole house has the cool hardwood floors, so the carpet/lino is likely going to get #@$^%& off from everywhere and i'll give the floors a sand and a hit with an epoxy.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I want to frOck off a heap of shit and do that area up to move the lounge room from its current location in the shed to up there.

Posted Image

Its cool having that gear in the shed, actually where im sitting right now, but i really want a small lathe and mill, and that corner of the shed would be perfect for a little metal working section, lathe, mill, welders, my press, pedestal drill, saws etc, and a big corner bench type thing.

Thats kinda a rough draft of what i have and what i have in mind, back to the current projects im probably going to frOck the VW off, much as this will annoy a few people who wanted to see a turbo six in the back of it (me to), as these front ends

Posted Image

Would sit nicely where the vw currently lives

Posted Image

Thats about it, got a coule of dark shots of the bathroom and the little foyer as well, but they came out ultra crap, and the areas both look horrid anyway lol, so that will do for now.

Cheers.

#20 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

sealer on your tiles bomber...yes it is excy ($40 a smll bucket...you'll probally need 2 of them) but it will be waterproof for life
and you can bleach and scrub the frocking shit out of it when it gets "dirty"
oh and i find steam mops work real well on my grout..

Edited by Quagmire, 13 August 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#21 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

good to see you started a thread DJ i still have to read it all so i will subscribe and read through it :D

#22 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

ok Dj I see where this is going...but.....

taking all the rubbish to the tip is not renovating..... that's called cleaning up.lol

Biggest thing you need to do I lay out a plan for what you want and need. Then Pick 1 thing at at time and work on that. I will put some pictures up in the other Home reno's thread of what I have done.

Once you have your plan and your first area you want to work on post it in here and we can give you some feedback.
Here is a before and after of my place, 6 months of work

#23 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

ohhh the council plans for your house...... to they include your rear patteo / living area?

I have a great idea for the rear of your place..... but its a lot of work lol. Basically to fit in with what you have described I would extend the rear roof as you have said. I would open up the rear of the house and actually have you kitchen area at the rear where your home brew area is but have it open out under the rear deck for an entertaining area. I would move your shitter and then look to use what is your kitchen living are a little better too.

#24 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

DJ, you could always just knock the old lean to and pergola down and start a fresh ?

extending it out without a post, i reckon you will need a metal "L" shape bolted to the timber, on top of what you drew.

Ohh and looks like asbestos so be bloody careful when removing any existing sheeting. the inside obviously isnt, but all that lundry and eaves definately looks like it..

#25 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

i can almost certainly say that every cement sheet in that house will be Asbestos containing material.

As skap said I would deconstruct the whole rear right into the extended laundry area to the old rear of the house and open up from that point. It will make you so much more room

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users