Home Improvement

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#51 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

what a read took me ages to read though all that lot, the only thing that makes sense to me is all this domestic Godess stuff of cleaning and tiding and house renovations can only mean one thing

DJ finally has a girlfriend

#52 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

lol.....jim you seem read my thoughts ....i have spent many a thusday nite/saturday arvo lost in those isles
aimlessly pushing a trolley round the place

#53 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Yeah i admit the bunnings trading hours are a treat, and the fact that the store is on the way home from work makes it sound like the goods.

What are there modular kitchens like?

Cruiza, way off mate. The reason i can afford to do this stuff is cause i dont have a gf.

#54 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

not sure i'd buy one off bunnings. or masters for that matter...
they kinda look and feel cheap to me
besides you can stain and varish wood,change knobs
and bunnings do laminate bench tops/sinks etc fairly cheap

#55 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

What happens when it dry's out?

the shit sets rock hard

#56 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

here ya go DJ here is the shit i used on the grout in the kitchen floor & wall tiles in side. outsire i used silaflex :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

on the outside i think i would tile and not paint as the paint will were and you might end up with track marks in ya paint work?? maybe the shit they use on shed floors might be the go if you are going to paint ??

#57 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

The track marks is hwat has me worried and makes me think its worth spending a copule of k tiling.

Compactor hired, dirt organized, were getting there.

#58 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Spent a while aimlessly wandering around bunnings as suggested, good fun hehe

#59 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

If pnly the sausage sizzle sold beer!

#60 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

amuter...you byo......:)

#61 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

i picked up my black marble tiles of evilbay for $150 for the kitchen. i go into Bunnings for a nut an bolt and i seem to be in there looking around for a while oh the saturday morning sausage sizzle even more reason to get up there lol. i was going to paint my entertaing area slab but the track marks put me off petty quick so it will be geting tiled with a non slip tile and when they get a bit grubby ill just break out the gurni :D

amuter...you byo...... :)

couple of coldies in a six pack esky for when you get there lol

#62 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

I can just see us having australia wide GMH-Torana-Home Renovator-Forum meet and greets at bunnings on a saturday morning with beers in hand lol.

#63 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

lol I have done the "beer at bunnings" too

hey bomber always go to the tool section and see what in the bargin / marked down section. Picked up some good stuff over the years

#64 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

I can just see us having australia wide GMH-Torana-Home Renovator-Forum meet and greets at bunnings on a saturday morning with beers in hand lol.

:badabing:

#65 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

lol I have done the "beer at bunnings" too

hey bomber always go to the tool section and see what in the bargin / marked down section. Picked up some good stuff over the years

yep hit tool world in Bunnings they always have something marked right down, i picked up a Bosch hammer drill marked down to $15, said on the box faulty not working, thought what have i got to loose, got it home pulled it apart and wall'a the brushes were missing. rang up bunnings and ordered 2 new brushes that cost me $1.60 :D cant complane about that. they always have a pallet at the front were you just walk in with heaps of shit on it marked down too.

#66 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

The track marks is hwat has me worried and makes me think its worth spending a copule of k tiling.

Compactor hired, dirt organized, were getting there.

it doesnt take long once you get the ball rolling and start seeing results and finish before you start planning your next project :D

#67 _Inj gtr202_

_Inj gtr202_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hey Bomber,
Where you are laying the pavers may require a bit of cutting rather than filling.
The finished height of the Pavers should be at least 75mm below your slab height (of your house) and as stated should slope either to a drain hole or away from your house. By the time you put rubble down (which getts compacted hard) add about 20mm of soft sand (the stuff you screed and get nice and flat) and the thickness of the pavers/bricks (usually between 50mm and 70mm) you need to start with a flat area at least 150mm below your door step.
A laser level or at least a meter long spirit level should give you a good idead about the lye of the land, you don't wan't water pooling next to your house or have the bricks/ paver too close (in height) to the floor height of the house. Things will rot and termites love it.

Good luck with it, the end result is always worth it
cheers

Edited by Inj gtr202, 16 August 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#68 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thats beside the shed mate :P

Cheers for the advice, i may hae ordered to much dirt, but i will find somewhere for it.

Can you use cracka dust in cement instead of aggregate? Whats the difference?

Cheers.

#69 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

cracker dust is the shit i was talking about DJ ( blue metal dust ) and yes you can use it but i would only use it as a last option, its ( IMO) to fine your better off with 10mm - 12mm or even 14mm aggregate it binds alot better and once it has gone off its hard shit to bust.

#70 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Yeaha righto, was just trying to save having to get another load of dirt dumped off

Need to get onto the boss tomorow, figured i may as well just use old garnet instead of sand, more or less the same and its freeeee

Cheers.

#71 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hey DJ ITs the weekend.

hope your up... Cuppa in hand surveying the works your about to begin....

Another morning ritual for members of the "Brother hood of Bunnings"

#72 _nial8r_

_nial8r_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hey DJ ITs the weekend.

hope your up... Cuppa in hand surveying the works your about to begin....

Another morning ritual for members of the "Brother hood of Bunnings"

:badabing: :iagree: :dohdoh: :spoton:

#73 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

How did you know i wasnt working today Jim??

Had my first Saturday off since easter today, and man am i frOcking rooted.

Headed to work this morning and grabbed two 44's of garnet, about a tonne, to use in the place of sand, cause im a tight Daisy Chain.

Then got stuck into it.

I had a massive pile of blue dirt infront of my shed, two big drums of red dirt down the side of the house, a compactor, and a cup of coffee. This is about the time Jim posted in the thread hehe.

I did have to back cut around the shed door a bit, but that was easy enough

Posted Image

I really had no idea what i was doing, so while i was fresh i just wheeled a shitload of blue dirt around and dropped it in the holes.

Kept running the compactor over it, and kicking out bits of brick as they appeared to be in the way.

Posted Image

After a while i was getting no where, needed to figure out some way to get it level, so i invented a tool.

Posted Image

I call it a stick, or more likely a bit of old gal water pipe.

After a bit of using that, i decided crawling around on my hands and knees was stupid, so i went into the shed and invented a better tool.

Posted Image

I call it a stick stuck to a stick. Or more precisely another bit of gal pipe welded to the first bit.

It worked really well at first, then it got a bit to heavy to work properly as i started to get some form of shape, but meh, i have a new tool.

I swapped to a bit of 1.6m long 25x25 rhs.

After many hours of bitching and screaming at it, i had this

Posted Image

Then i layed out my Garnet and started putting the pavers down. The garnet was a bit wet which didnt help, but seems to have worked fine as a base for the pavers.

This is what i had at about 6pm

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, obviously im not finished, BUT. The old ladie out the back came and had another long drawn out bitch session, and asked if i watned to go halves in a colorbond fence. This i do, so im not doing anymore untill i sort that out. May have to dig my pipe back up, but meh.

Its gonna be so funny to see tradesmen tromple on her garden, it will be worth it :D

After todays long drawn out bitch session i do regret taking the tree branches i cut off her tree's that were in my yard to the dump as a gesture of good faith though, such things in the future will be javelined over her fence. Should have also thrown the rat eaten macadamia nut shells and tree leaves used as a rats next over her fence. Might send her a bill of say $100 for removal of the branches and her shells/leaves etc actually....After the fence is sorted :D

Cheers.

#74 _tryhard_

_tryhard_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

you did a little bit more then when I was there keep going you can put my slingshot dragster there when you finish

#75 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

So longg as its dropped off and i dont have to pay for it, when are you bringing it around??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users