19 replies to this topic

#1 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Do the rare spares plastic rear spoilers replace the original genuine spoilers in same bolt hole locations or do I need to weld up and redrill my bootlid?

#2 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

i got one and the bolts are like a 1/16th out so i will have to file a bit out to get it on.
and it comes with nuts for the studs but no bolts and the threads in the holes are
just plastic no steel insert like the original

#3 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Do the plastic threads look like they will strip once tightened?

#4 _wombat_

_wombat_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

i am hoping not,but i havnt fitted it yet.think just nipping up with loctite might be the go.

#5 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Ordered one anyway so fingers crossed, thanks for your help

#6 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

The H1232 Rear Spoiler we have available was moulded from a genuine LH Sedan Spoiler. The three studs and three tapped thread locations should be as per original, we worked with a Torana restorer here to have the product test fitted to a car during the development process. It also has the same style of reinforcement structure as the genuine internally in the form of three braces.

We currently only package washers and nuts with this item, I'll investigate the kitting to see if we can improve it for future stock.

-Edan Miller

Edited by Edan, 27 September 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#7 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

The H1232 Rear Spoiler we have available was moulded from a genuine LH Sedan Spoiler. The three studs and three tapped thread locations should be as per original, we worked with a Torana restorer here to have the product test fitted to a car during the development process. It also has the same style of reinforcement structure as the genuine internally in the form of three braces.

We currently only package washers and nuts with this item, I'll investigate the kitting to see if we can improve it for future stock.

-Edan Miller

I found it to be slightly out as well, no big deal though

#8 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

Here are pic of my rear spoiler off my 1977 SL/R 5000. Can anyone tell me if the rare spares H1232 LH sedan spoiler mounts the same as mine?
Thanks Victor

Here are pic of my rear spoiler off my 1977 SL/R 5000. Can anyone tell me if the rare spares H1232 LH sedan spoiler mounts the same as mine?
Thanks Victor

Attached Files

#9 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Victor

Thanks Victor

Mmmmm Yummy Plummy. Is the sealant around the mounting holes how it came from the factory? After removing my original boot spoiler and seeing the rust that had developed from the water that had run in through the holes I thought "why didnt they seal the holes?"

#10 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:34 PM

Yes it looks like the same stuff that they used to stick the scuttle panel And heater box with.
First time off car

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Yes it's correct, just like the messy silver around the boot lock is 100% correct

#12 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Very good info thanks guys.

Yes it looks like the same stuff that they used to stick the scuttle panel And heater box with.
First time off car

Yes it's correct, just like the messy silver around the boot lock is 100% correct

Edited by Red One, 18 May 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

Mmmmm Yummy Plummy. Is the sealant around the mounting holes how it came from the factory? After removing my original boot spoiler and seeing the rust that had developed from the water that had run in through the holes I thought "why didnt they seal the holes?"

They weren't supposed to last this long. :) 

#14 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

They weren't supposed to last this long. :)

Haha, if only they knew.

#15 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Hi all
Who made the spoilers for Holden ? I once work at a company which assembled parts for holden, Ford and Toyota. When they moved thousands of parts went into the bin. I got a few things like injector plugs no wire on them and the boots a couple of hundred sitting in a box. Had no real need for them , thought it was a waste to put them in the bin. Could have filled a double garage to the roof with stuff. Even got 20 or so hand brake covers for a Ford Falcon from ten years ago.
Victor

#16 kiwilx

kiwilx

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Name:Liam
  • Car:LX Sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hi All

Just fitting a H1232 to my Torana and we are trying to figure out what the threads are on spoiler.  We have figured the rods on the back are metric but can't figure what they are on the boot lid.  The rest of the car is imperial but is this metric due to being aftermarket?  I know it was a while ago looking at the posts but I was wondering how you guys that have fitted one got on? 

Cheers

#17 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hi kiwilx
Are you fitting it to original boot or drilling all the holes? Try giving rare's a call. They might know the size.
Victor

#18 kiwilx

kiwilx

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Name:Liam
  • Car:LX Sedan
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hi Victor

I'm drilling new holes in my 77 SL boot, can't quite manage a real SL/R 5000 so gave myself a bit of a project instead.  Yeah I've tried Rare's but haven't had too much luck there.

Cheers

#19 _victor_

_victor_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Ok try going to a shop that sell bolts they have thread Gauge To work out what it is.
Victor

#20 _Edan_

_Edan_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

The studs and nuts should all be 1/4" - 20 UNC on this spoiler.

Regards,

Edan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users