#101 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

Great run down Lenny.

Those camber and castor settings were just achievable when I was using LX top control arms and I agree those setting are about as good as you can get these front ends without further mods.

I did still find 235 and 255 front tires still wore the outside edges a little more than the center but way better than standard Torana settings.

Matt

#102 devojr62

devojr62

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Name:Brian Deveson
  • Car:77 LX SS

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Wish me luck with my local Tyre Power guy. Thank you for your help.

#103 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:42 AM

Thanks Matt, just quickly touching on your tyre wear. Assuming you don't have any movement in the front end that would cause movement in the camber axis, If  your getting  wear on the inside and outside of one or both front tyres your problem is  most likely low tyre pressures. I have found that one steering angle will always override the other and cause wear on one side edge of the tyre that has the greater miss alignment. Otherwise the scrubbing will be across the whole of the tyre which shows up looking like even tyre wear.

Tyres loose on average two P.S.I per month.  Because our Torana;s tend to just sit in the shed most of the time It doesn't take long before our tyre pressure drop to the point that the tyres side walls flex to much during cornering and scrub the inner and out edges of the tyre or tyres on the front. It is rare to get front tyres to wear in the centre but very easy to do on the rear. 60% of the weight in on the front so we need more air pressure up front. I put 38psi in the front tyres and after a month or so they are at the correct pressure at 36psi for my driving conditions, and when I get a bit slack and don't pump them up for a while they get down to 32-34 being a fraction to low. So everything gets evened out. I try and set my tyre pressures once every 4-6 months. I tend to look at the front tyres for side wall bulging a bit at the bottom before each drive and if they look a bit low I throw a bit more wind in them.

We should all check our tyre pressures every month but who does, it like changing coolant and brake fluid every two years not many of us change them on time. One further note on tyre pressure is, for every one P.S.I the tyres are down on optimum recommended pressure it adds two degrees operating temperature to the tyre. At 80 degrees the tyre bands break down and the you get very funny looking tyre wear. It doesn't take long on a hot day for the tyres to get up to those figures and damage the tyres and many people blame the wheel alignment.    

#104 XY driver

XY driver

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:XY ute

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

G'day Lenny,

I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn what's what... normally an XY Ute uses up all my time but old mate has charged me with a complete and utter front end overhaul so finally his blown EFI alcohol 400 Chev will get something better than Torana brakes...!

I'm interested to know what the price and availability was on your very good power steering kits? Moreover can they be powered with an electric pump, as the car in question hasn't got much room on the front of the engine to sling a belt.

Thanks again for your effort, it's great to see people innovating on Aussie cars, making it work with local ingenuity, rather than just buying American crap.

Cheers

Tony

#105 XY driver

XY driver

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:XY ute

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hi Lenny,

Fist time poster and all that... I'd like to say thanks for your efforts. Reading through, it's obvious you turn out a great product at not inconsiderable inconvenience to yourself. Without blokes like you the enthusiast car world would be lost, so I figure congratulations are in order. It makes me proud to see some ingenuity applied to the local product rather than just more mail order american crap.

I'd just like to ask for an update, 3 things I guess, what're your racks worth these days? What's the availability like? Also can they be used with an electric pump? Mates of mine run offroad buggies, some of them are going to electric pumps for various reasons and if I was to get one onto old mate Bens Torana, we would struggle a bit, because he has a blower belt taking up all the space!

Cheers

Anthony

#106 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:08 PM

G'day Tony, thanks for the feed back. More information can be found on this forum under the heading power steering kits, I started it as an update for members to save them time reading through so many pages on this thread, and contains all my direct contact details.  Firstly I would like to thank GMH-torana forum members for their support. To date I have now build and supplied to customers 130 power steering kits. I originally thought somewhere around 50-60 kits would be it, but the request for the kits have been slowly increasing over the past few years.

To answer you questions"

1) Power steering kits start at $2,695 and the most popular variable ratio power steering rack kits are priced at $2,995

2) I generally keep 3-4 rack kits on the shelf so we can supply a kit as soon as you are ready.

3) Yes we have had a few customers fit electric power steering pumps to supply the hydraulic pressure, Electric pumps from Mercedes c180, Holden Astra and Toyota MR2 have been used, Pressure around 900-1250 psi is recommended, just check on the current draw as I believe they can draw a fair amount of amps on initial start up and a decent alternator of around 85 amp would be required as a minimum.

Many thanks,

Lenny.

#107 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:15 PM

Like Button for you Lenny,

for great service to the GMH-Torana community :)

#108 chopper

chopper

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • Name:Mic
  • Car:Torana LX

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:28 AM

hello out there i am looking at changing my steering to power steering for my LX torrie does anyone have any suggestions as i have search around and a bit confused on what to do as regards to kits.

#109 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:57 PM

Chopper,

Read Lenny's post (axistr)  three up from here.  He is the man that makes them and if you read through this thread you will see that he obviously does an excellent job and quite helpful. Cheers

Ron

#110 Vick

Vick

Grumpy old man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  • Name:Vick

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

Just a heads up chopper, there used to be a tyre guru who used the name CHOPPER on these forums. So don't be surprised if you get confused with him.

#111 Punchy

Punchy

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Name:Scott McCulloch
  • Car:77' Lx Hatch

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

HI Lenny and team.

I'm still in the throws of sorting things with my old girl and I've finally got it on the road.

I thought i'd review the really shit sensation I was getting back through the steering and well its the rack, The sector shaft has rusted. Looks like the seal died a few moons ago and waters got in to corrode the worm gear.

While i'd love to splash out and do a power steering conversion now.. I cant afford it. However if I replaced the sector shaft for my lx I could get by for the short term.

With all these conversions happening can anyone spot me a rack at the right price or could Lenny let me know if parts are still available for standard racks.

Id rather be out driving my girl instead of looking at broken bits.

Attached Files

#112 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

G'day Scott, I haven't done up any manual racks for over ten years and don't have any parts new or used for them anymore. All the rack enquiries I get these days are for power racks. If your on a budget hopefully someone on here may have an old rack that they have removed when going to power steering. However I do have a standard ratio power steering kit in stock $2,695.00 which are over $250 cheaper than the popular variable ratio kit if your budget can stretch that far.

Just as a note to anyone interested in the standard ratio kits, once this rack kit has been sold I wont stock standard ratio kits anymore and will be a special order only. (8 weeks for delivery minimum) Everyone wants the variable ratio kits these days and is pointless having them sitting on the shelf taking up space and expense.       

#113 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

If anyone is wanting to look at a power steering kit I will throw one in the back of the hatch for the all Holden day at Clarendon tomorrow. I will be parked with the Sydney Torana club.

Lenny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users