- - - - -

LS2 Hatch build

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#1 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum but have done quite a bit of browsing the site. Thought I might post my build for those that may care to have a look. Please feel free to give me your thoughts, BUT please be nice, as in, it may not be your cup of tea and that is fine. I'm building the car for me to my specs, not to match or replicate a particular vehicle. I guess that's the joy of a custom build. You can take what you like of other cars and apply it to your own. But at the same time happy to be told that I need to readdress something or more thought to a particular area. Guidance would be very appreciated. You get my drift.
OK first my back ground. I have always loved cars and had a pasion for them. Toranas and VK Brock Commodores are my favorite. For the past 10 years or so I have been building custom chopper motor bikes based on the Harley. About the same time I started playing with the bikes I bought my hatch. The hatch sat there and many bikes have come and gone. Now it's Torana time.
My thought has always been the same. A good fun street car with plenty of go go, but not necessarily the fastest thing on the street. I intend on doing as much work myself, and since my trade is a cabinet maker, it will not be the staightest or the best of show either.
So far I have removed all the rust, and fitted the running gear as a dummy fit. 304 injected holden engine,T56 manual gearbox, 9" true track diff with 4.11 gears and 17" wheels. Acording to the ratio calculators on the net I should be reving at about 2000 at 100km. Seems fair to me. Oh yeah, also I have shaved the door handles for something different too. No flares, no scoop, no spoilers and no door handes.
I had the dummy fit all done when my brother laughed at the engine and gearbox angle, so a tunnel mod was carried out. With that done and a cross member made, tail shaft made and fitted and all was good. It was then time for engine build and body work time. While starting on the body I priced the engine build. Man was my budget about to go through the roof. I already had the VN styled heads with big valves and double springs installed, I've got the stroker crank, and a COME Racing twin throttle body manifoid. The cost to finish the engine shattered me, so I decided it was time to go a bit left feild and buy a complete LS2. It made sence to me that considering I was not after the world of horse power, that a basically stock LS2 would do me fine. So the purchase was made and the dummy fir was done. Then back to the body.
So now this is where I am. The engine is at the engine builders, I have the car in primer, although I think it will need another coat and rub down, and this coming week the seats are off to the upholsterer. Oh Yeah the interior. I have a full set of Autometer guages that i will be fitting to a custom aluminium dash facia. It will not be a flat piece off plate with guages in it, I still want the guages on the layed back angle of the original dash. Still need to make that. And the seats, the rear is standard hatch with heringbone inserts, the the fronts or Scheel seats from an XE ESP. Same as VK Brock only with a different headrest, which will be the same as VK. Must be Holden after all!! The front seats are being trimmed to the same as the rears with heringbone inserts to look like it belongs.
Any way, here it is.

Thoughts???Attached File  Forum 1.jpg   57.65K   34 downloadsAttached File  Forum 2.jpg   40.42K   25 downloadsAttached File  Forum 3.jpg   37.89K   31 downloadsAttached File  Forum 4.jpg   58.09K   39 downloadsAttached File  Forum 5.jpg   39.28K   20 downloadsAttached File  Forum 6.jpg   35.41K   38 downloads

#2 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

looks like your off to a good start, what are you going to do in the engine bay? i reckon an autometer speedo and tach recessed into the dash would look cool. bring on the overhauling, and welcome to the forum

#3 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome Singa.
Engine bay. Nothing that special really. Clean and tidy, batery stil in the original position, aluminium radiator, twin thermo fans. The one thing I am unsure on is the airbox. I have seen a cold air intake that looks like a large diameter pipe with a pod style air filter. I have seen one somewhere, maybe even through this forum, that has the pod under the front so the pipe goes through the tray on the right. The only issue I see with this is the chasis rail is in that exact spot. I do like the air box of LS1 Hatch also, so need to put more thought.

#4 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Mmm another unflaired hatch!! Hell yes....
It's just a shell and I already like the look

#5 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Thanks greenmachine. Looks like you may have yours sorted, its come up a treat. I guess you have to expect teething problems.
No Flares, it's amassing how many people have told me that I should have put them on and it looks like its missing something. I like it without and I guess that's what matters. I must admit though I am seriously considering a reverse cowl full length scoop, about 4" high. They look awesome. I was thinking of a way to set it up so that it actually works the way it should. If I was to set up a box from the intake facing up with an air cleaner in it, and have a foam joint to the bonnet so it would get its air from in front of the windscreen. Do you think this would work or aim I just going to fill my engine up with water?

#6 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I had thought about a air box sealing to the hood at the rear for a little while. You know of course the LS engine can have the intake mounted either direction, so you could even have it faced the rear if you had wanted if that would make plumbling up to the rear edge of the bonnet better. (Assuming the throttle body and everything would clear the firewall ok)
But I built the aluminum air box instead and have it getting cool air through the core support...seems to work out well for me at least and I liked how the layout of the engine bay worked out too.

The LT1 SS Camaro's ('96/'7 for example) had an airclearner that mounted on top of the engine and sealed to the hood..you could look at pictures of one of them for an example at least perhaps. The LS1 cars use a different setup with a forward mounted air cleaners similar to the non-SS cars) and use ductwork built into the bonnet to move the air around. But a box at the rearward edge of the engine sealed to the bonnet would be do-able no doubt if you had wanted..

#7 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Oh, and depending on what you plan to use the car for... 4.1 gears for the back might be a bit much for around town. I have 3.5 in mine and with the six speed I can start off in 2nd gear even no problem...with 4.1 and limited in tire size from missing the flares...getting off the line quicky in first gear should be a smokey happening pretty easily, ha ha.. (unless you are going to run a really tall tire some how? I have about a 25.5" tall tire myself)

#8 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for that. I will have a look at some photos and keep the thoughts ticking. For a start though I think I will keep a clear bonnet and just get on the road.. I was hoping to see the road late this year but I think the wiring will be a bit of an issue. I need to get it wired from start to finish, there is no loom at all apart from the engine loom. As it gets closer to Christmas the less chance I have of getting it done by my auto elec.

#9 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yeah I hear you with the diff gears. That may need changing down the track. The car is to be a good fun car and mabe a Tarmac rally or two. No particular purpose really, just a bit of stress relief.

#10 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Using an air box or something similar along the lines of mine would let you have a flat bonnet easily at least. I would at least definately try and get the air source out of the engine bay if possible....cooler air the better after all !

On the gearing, at least it is a pretty easy thing to change around ! I know some people like the "feel" of the high gears...so with just a play around sort of car its all personal preference I suppose. At least with the 2 overdrive gear ratios it will still be useable on the highway and such...no problem.

And the wiring is not all that bad...I made the engine loom on mine over a couple days I guess it was, and just some time doing all the underdash and other assorted wiring to suit as the build went along.

#11 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

I painted the bottom of the car in black, along with the front end. Came up well. In my wisdom when I got home today I thought I would put another coat of primer on. What a mistake. All I have done is confirmed that fact that I can't paint for peanuts. I put more runs in it than I care to admit. Now I have to spend more time rubbing, then more than likely get my brother to put the primer on. I expect I will rub through in places again. Oh well if I don't try I will never know I guess. I know what I will be doing for the rest of the week now.

Has anyone used the "Tough Mounts" engine mounts? I had made my own adaptors but I was thinking of buying some. Not so cheap though at $425
Also I need the chrome trims that go on the top section of the door. I have the rest of them, just missing the one that goes up and across the door. Does rare spares sell them?

#12 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I painted the bottom of the car in black, along with the front end. Came up well. In my wisdom when I got home today I thought I would put another coat of primer on the body. What a mistake. All I have done is confirmed the fact that I can't paint for peanuts. I put more runs in it than I care to admit. Now I have to spend more time rubbing, then more than likely get my brother to put the primer on. I expect I will rub through in places again. Oh well if I don't try I will never know I guess. I know what I will be doing for the rest of the week now.

Has anyone used the "Tough Mounts" engine mounts? I had made my own adaptors but I was thinking of buying some. Not so cheap though at $425
Also I need the chrome trims that go on the top section of the door. I have the rest of them, just missing the one that goes up and across the door. Does rare spares sell them?

#13 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

Had the tough mounts on mine for about a month, did not like how it vibrated through the car. Went back to standard mounts with an engine strap.

#14 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Thanks, I think I might stay with what I have and see how I go. At least I know what I have all fits.

#15 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

$425 just for engine mounts? :blink2: Are you kidding ? Do they send a topless bikini model out to install them on the car for you at that price? Ha Ha Ha...

#16 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Awesome project mate

What sump/engine mounts are you using? i'm having clearance issues with the tuff mounts and moroso 20140 sump thats all

#17 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I agree Jeff, they are a tad pricey, but everything "Custom" seems to be like that. Also I do like the bikini idea.

Dan I'm using a Milodon sump I bought from Eagle Performance with a remote oil filter. It looks very similar to the Moroso sump. At the moment I have modified the Holden adapters to suit. Or should I say about to modify. Basically the adapter is the same just with a larger plate to the engine. I will post a photo tomorrow to show my thoughts. When I had it all in dummied up with my temp adapters, I had clearance everywhere. Even got the standard exhaust manifolds from the commodore to fit with no problems. It may not have the performance of extractors, but these don't have the price tag. Plus I have heard through an engine builder that the headers don't make a huge difference, it's the rest of the exhaust that does.

#18 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Attached File  photo 1.JPG   42.75K   11 downloadsAttached File  photo 2.JPG   41.62K   11 downloads

The silver adaoptor is the original 308 torana adaptor, and the other attached to the engine mount is my temporary set up. The idea is to cut one side of the adaptor off and replace with a larger 6mm plate.
Thoughts?

Also update, runs are now rubbed out and ready for another run free primmer. I went through to polyester in too many places. Hoping to paint black outs in the next week, then colour a couple days later.

#19 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Attached File  paint 1.jpg   169.5K   12 downloadsAttached File  paint 2.jpg   188.2K   13 downloadsAttached File  paint 3.jpg   208.25K   19 downloadsAttached File  paint 4.jpg   183.07K   15 downloads
Update. It's now in colour. Got a few runs it so it's back to rubbing. At least it has a good base now, including the back of the doors and guards. I wil now rehang the rest of the parts and get it all top coated as one.

#20 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Sweet !

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Its orange!

#22 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking possibly a bit too orange. It's going to get satin black around the windows, top of the guards and bonnet. Maybe that will mellow it out a bit. If not I will just have to buy a good pair of Rayban's.

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

There is no such thing as to orange.

#24 _markm_

_markm_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Love the colour. Awesome build. Keep posting.

#25 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Wow thats how i like my orange nice and loud looks bloody killer cant wait for this to be completed keep up the good work grant
cheers gene
ps by the way what orange is that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users