- - - - -

LS2 Hatch build

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#51 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

We cut the top off and had to raise it about an inch and a half. also my shifter is still in the original commodore position which means it sits further back than the original shifter.I cut the brace then reinforced the floor again behind the shift. Alot of people dont like to cut the brace so they change the extention housing. I weighed up my options and went with the cutting the floor.

#52 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Her are some more photos. similar to previous ones, but this time dull, as in, rubbed down yet again. Feels like Dejavu!!Attached File  photo 1.JPG   45.3K   10 downloads
Attached File  photo 2.JPG   45.31K   9 downloads
Attached File  photo 3.JPG   40.34K   10 downloads
Attached File  photo 4.JPG   40.75K   12 downloads
Attached File  photo 5.JPG   42.05K   11 downloads
Attached File  photo 6.JPG   40.16K   13 downloads

#53 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Great looking car mate, hope the engine dramas abate. How did you reinforce the brace? I have cut mine and reinforced it, but interested how others have done it. A pic would be great if possible.

#54 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Looks like it is coming along really well !

And you will love it once it's on the road, the engines make for a great combo in them I reckon.. (let alone a fresh done LS2 as well!)

#55 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

All said and done i'm expecting around the 350 - 380 hp at the wheels. Not the most powerfull car around, but with a munual and 4.11 diff gears, it will be alot of fun!
How do you find yours? I've seen the clips on you tube but you are driving very sedately

#56 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I really like mine.. when just driving it around normally, it is nice and smooth. The engine ,clutch, trans..just feel like driving a later model Camaro (which is what the engine came from as well..2000 model that is) and is quite easy to drive just in traffic or any where.
With the Edelbrock intake, more open exhaust, etc it also seems to pull really strong in the higher rev ranges (for a stock-inside engine) When giving it a bit of stick getting on a freeway on ramp or like that it's fun !

I had a '99 SS Camaro convertible as a daily driver for a few years (6 speed as well) and the Torana pulls way harder than it does. Lot lighter I suppose too though.

I would like some engine upgrades eventually..but for now I am quite happy with it how it is.

Mine is 3.5 diff ratio, so bet your's will be pretty fun off the line with the higher ratio. I don't feel I really need it with mine at least. From 2nd gear even at maybe 10mph it still pulls nicely right up.

#57 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have a feeling that my gears are a bit too tall, but time will tell.
At this stage mine will have the standard intake, but will have an exhaust similar to yours. I like the idea of having a nice note but not too loud. I dont want to advertise too much when I'm out and about. Don't want to become known by the boys in blue (cops).
I love the look of the aftermarket manifolds, and will eventually end up with one on mine. Will have to find out which manifold works best at different rev ranges and go from there. At least getting it on the road for a while first will allow me to see where I want more power. The "Fast" manifolds along with the Edelbrock look awsome, but I would get one based on my performance needs, rather than looks alone. As I have always maintained, my bonnet will be down more than opened. Won't be a show peice in that way.
The other thing I love on your car is the wheels. They give a look of both new, but still suit the earer of the car

#58 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I thought about the manifold for a little while... the Fast and other similar ones are good for performance, but the price was pretty steep.
When Edelbrock first introduced the one I run at the SEMA show, I saw it out there and talked to them about it, and where the power band should be with it, etc. That side of it sounded excellent for me, and the visual side of it was perfect for me as well. I never was a fan of the plastic intake for the visual side of things, and as well the tall open design allowed me to move the coil packs inbetween the manifold runners and also gave me a place to run the heater hoses as well (underneath it) And the price was right as well !
So it was form and function both to me, you could say.
Even with the longer runner/larger plenum/tall design I don't feel any loss of low rpm torque. The power band is great all around in driving around so far I reckon.

(it is pretty tall though and I had to trim the bonnet further forward accordingly)

#59 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

There is no doubt the look of yours is awsome. I agree the plastic standard manifolds really don't look the part. For yours to fall both in the perfarmance and budget category is great. Hopfully when the time comes I will find the same.
I hadn't thought of the bonnet side of things. Does give me a good reason to run the long reverse cowel scope though. I am growing more and more fond of them.
Oh well maybe one day. Need to finish it first!

#60 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

went to the engine builder today for pick up. it was there ready to go, FINALLY
Attached File  eng1.jpg   214.66K   11 downloads
Attached File  eng2.jpg   184.71K   9 downloads
Attached File  eng3.jpg   198.08K   10 downloads
Now my weekend is booked out. Glad the weather is ment to be crap cause I have some work to do!

#61 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Great stuff, you must be thrilled!

#62 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

That I am.
I got the front end rolling yesterday, then a neighbor came over and tricked me into having a beer. He left 4 hours later and I wasn't in any shape to continue on the car.
Anyway today is another day and I hope to have the front end in with engine and box connected. Could be a bit ambitious but I will see how we go.
Updates and photos later on in the evening.

#63 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Good deal on the progress :)

I was trying to get my adjustable front sway bar mounted and to clear things today, ha ha.. (no beer involved so far today, but not a bad idea though...)

#64 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

well the day has been and gone, and thankfully no beer consumed during the day.
They say a picture tells a thousand words. well here comes a few thousand.
You can see for yourself how I went.

#65 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Woops wrong key. I'll try again
Attached File  Forum1.jpg   115.43K   11 downloads
Attached File  forum2.jpg   153.86K   12 downloads
Attached File  forum3.jpg   141.96K   10 downloads
Attached File  forum4.jpg   137.37K   13 downloads
Attached File  forum5.jpg   139.01K   13 downloads
Attached File  forum6.jpg   137.34K   11 downloads
Attached File  forum7.jpg   142.07K   11 downloads

#66 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

And then,
Attached File  forum8.jpg   110.89K   11 downloads
Attached File  forum9.jpg   125.1K   11 downloads
Attached File  forum10.jpg   148.98K   18 downloads
Attached File  forum11.jpg   128.56K   14 downloads
Attached File  forum12.jpg   115.37K   13 downloads

#67 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Then Finally,
Attached File  forum13.jpg   129.47K   11 downloads
Attached File  forum14.jpg   139.66K   15 downloads
Attached File  forum15.jpg   133.73K   16 downloads
Attached File  forum16.jpg   133.11K   16 downloads
Attached File  forum17.jpg   161.5K   14 downloads
Now that's done, Insert beer here!!!!!!
This will be how it sits for at least a week and a bit. Apart from a major clean up sto the shed, work and other things around the house will keep me out of the shed. When I do get back in I need to have a look at my front springs. I must have done something wrong cause it's sitting about 4 inches higher than it should.
Oh well keep an eye out, holidays are close and I want progress!! :)

#68 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

WOW, great stuff. You've been busy....and avoided beer :)

What were you doing for extractors? Which starter are you using?

#69 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

I'm staying with the standard commodore manifolds, and using a standard starter. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible

#70 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Ahhh cool.

I didn't know the factory commodore manifolds would fit between the rails....have you trial fitted them yet?

#71 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, they are also fitted now. I put them on before lowering the body down. You do have to move the steering column over as much as you can so you can keep the heat shield on.
Try and enlarges the engine bay photo to see. If not let me know and I will take some others for you.
Cheers

#72 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I must make note though, that it does look like its going to have a fairly tight bend to get past the rear of the K frame.
I will try and get a photo for you later or tomorrow

#73 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thanks Grant.

I'm doing the same conversion with an ls1 and was told by a few blokes that the commodore manifolds wouldn't fit...I ended up buying the CAE extractors but have yet to fit them. Motor is ready to go in for trial fitting as soon as I get home in the new year. I wanted to go the factory manifold but was steered away from it. I'll be happy so long as these CAE ones fit....

Where abouts in Melb are you? Looks like you have tonnes of space...

#74 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

I'm in Sunbury. Yeah I have a half acre block. It's a nice size. Big enough to have a good size shed and not have a neighbor 4 foot from my front door. It's not too big either, we can still manage it when we want to, it doesn't manage us. We once house sat in Romsey for 2 years on 2 acres, that was far too much for us.

Hope your pipes fit well for you. I will have to have a look for your thread. Do you have a build thread happening?

#75 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Your place sounds ideal.

Nah, I don't have a build thread. Not that keen to throw it all out there if that makes sense.

Anyways, back to your build!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users