Hj Ute Resto

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#51 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

we've taken a fair bit out of the combustion chambers to fit the valves and ill be running dished pistons so it wont be to high.

cheers danny

#52 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

just a small update, took all the lights and tailgate off. started to rub it back where there was primer to see if there was any bog, still clean as a whistle. found 1 of the reasons why i the lights didnt work.
ive never seen dirt like this before
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
i should really finda better spot or the parts ive pulled off it.
Posted Image

cheers Danny

#53 _Liam_

_Liam_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

That's a wasp nest isn't it? (The dirt).

#54 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

dont think it was, i was just surprised that the side lights were full of it and so was the rest of the ute.

#55 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Chassis is now painted, had a go at sandblasting to wishbones i think i need a little bit pactice or the blaster needs maintance.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Danny

#56 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

get down and dirty with it....
it's not a bonnet it won't warp..
and next time remove the ball joint if you intend to reuse them
those ones are probaly fuked now...

#57 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Started doing the Bottom wishbones today, didnt get very far as the suction line came off and I couldnt find any duct tape so i had to hold it, then the air line blew so ive got 125psi coming out the end of the hose than the compresser revs up (15hp petrol motor automatic throttle) so i had to turn it off than grab the hose because there was i tap on the end, maybe i should of just unplugged it owell, then the car battery was geting low the powers the little so i had to blast blind. all in a days fun.
justa few pics. not much room once there a wishbone in there.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Danny

#58 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

well ive done more work in the past week than I have all year
everything ready for paint
Posted Image
everything painted
Posted Image
Posted Image
i pulled all the leaves apart.
Posted Image
chassis starting to get there
Posted Image
ive got suspention :)
Posted Image
stripping the motor down so I can paint it, but i just had to see what the extractors look like. :)
Posted Image
can still get the original starter in and out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Danny

Edited by Macca75, 30 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#59 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

In regards to the dirt, when I was painting my hz ute I pulled the inside panels in the tub off and in the body cavity starting from the tailights to the wheel arches were full of dirt.... And I mean full! Its hard to imagine how so much of it gets there!

#60 _red roar_

_red roar_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Having a good crack, looks good so far.

#61 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

the goal was to have the chassis rolling by the end of the year, well at 7pm new years eve it was sitting back on its wheels :)
Posted Image
motor starting to get there
Posted Image
had some fun, tiny bit ok masking tap went down the dizzy hole just after we started painting so, had the sump off to get then found that no.6 ex lifter is starting to dig into the cam, should last abit longer with just a full set of lifters.

Danny

#62 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Nice work on the project so far, looking good.

I wouldn't replace those lifters if you don't plan on doing the cam, probably more likely to chew it up that way

#63 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

thanks, so maybe i should just leave it until it wheres out than throw another motor in/ rebuild it, ive got 2 1/2 sitting around here somewhere.

Danny

#64 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Personally I think that would be a better idea, a new set of lifters would need to wear in and can often cause damage to a cam in good condition if not done perfectly. It depends on what sort of damage you're talking about as to how long it will last; if its too dry of oil it may dig in on first startup and trash the cam lobe or it may last forever, but general rule of thumb is don't put new lifters on a worn cam.

#65 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
there not the best pics, the flash on the camera didn't want to turn off.

#66 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

i'd put a new (mild) cam and lifters in
not hard while it's out

#67 _Emu_

_Emu_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Replace that cam bro....she's gone.

It will chew out very fast now

#68 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

well motor's in chassis, we just needed it out of the road as we gotta get some work done to get the all important money, and my stupid tax file number hasn't come yet so I'm starting to look a bit short.
Posted Image
Posted Image
had a clean up so dad can put his Ute undercover.
Posted Image
I've got one my eye on one of those power boss cams on Ebay, its not overly big but for $110 it should do.

just waiting for shops to open so i can go get parts for the brakes. than its done and the body work can start.

Danny

#69 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Replace that cam bro....she's gone.

It will chew out very fast now

I agree, if you value that engine it needs a new cam

#70 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

$250 or so for the dynotech type cam and lifter combo's on Ebay, either get the [email protected] or the [email protected] version. Dont frOck around just do it :P

#71 _Macca75_

_Macca75_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Small up date, I'll just use that motor to get it on the road because I've got another one that's in an old land rover and its only done around 40 thousand ks.
pulled the alternator apart so I can put 60amp guts in it, cleaned the fuel tank out and found a few old fuel caps in it :/
I must be doing a decent job as a few guys that came round to see dad spent more time looking at the Ute than taking to him.

Danny

#72 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Chassis is finished so its now sitting in the corner, and now the body work can start.

#73 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Stripped the body yesterday, I started cutting the windscreen ( its still the original toughened glass one) out than dad walks out with this little right angle knife that has a little draw string/pull attached to it (where the hell does he get this stuff from :/) I'm glad I've got another Ute that I can take parts of. steering column bushes, master cylinder and most of the heat box setup is all shot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Danny

Edited by Macca97, 21 January 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#74 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

G'day. Nice job you're doing there, dad needs a big thankyou... and a beer, when you're done! I only wish I had of started like that on my HJ. By the way, I've had mine for 27 and a half years! Still a daily driver, and still not finished... if they ever are.
As for the dirt in the lights and everywhere, could it have been under water at some stage? Or at least the back end... towing a river boat maybe?
Keep up the good work, then look after it... and the old man!

#75 _Macca97_

_Macca97_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Dave, I think the biggest thanks Dad will get is when its finished and out of shed, It came from out west so maybe just being on farms, found a few 22 shells, so maybe from being flogged round a farm in the dust.

made i thingy up to pop the sides back out.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users