CHEV INTO TORANA

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 _BRUCEHOLDEN73_

_BRUCEHOLDEN73_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

HI EVERYONE, I HAVE AN LX TORANA THAT IM PUTTING A 400 CHEV INTO SMALL BLOCK, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS GOT AWAY WITH NOT CUTTING THE BACK OF THE FLY WALL WHERE THE DISTRIBITOR GOES,? I FOUND A PICTURE OF ONE TORANA AND IT HAD NOT BEEN CUT SO IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO IT WITHOUT CUTTING , AND WHAT WILL NEED TO BE DONE TO THE CAR TO BE ENGINEERED WITH A 400 CHEV, ITS THE 4TH MONTH OF 76' LX, ANY HELP WOULD BE GOOD THANKS

#2 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi Bruce, Try not to SHOUT, it's not good manners.

#3 _BRUCEHOLDEN73_

_BRUCEHOLDEN73_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

sorry about that

#4 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

The two biggest factors are engine mounts used and size of your dizzy.

I used Tuff mounts and a billet MSD dizzy. I cut my lip, but I think it would just fit without.
And when I say just, it would probably rub. ( A HEI would be a no way )
Hopefully someone else who has used different mounts can offer their experience too. :spoton:

#5 AnthonyLHSLR

AnthonyLHSLR

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts
  • Name:Anthony
  • Car:LH SLR Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I am currently fitting a SBC to my car.

Using Tuff Mounts and a MSD Billet Distributor I have about 10mm clearance between the edge of the distributor and join in the fire wall.

#6 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

I used normal off shelf conversion brackets with std v8 rubber mounts - needed to be cut. You may have to dummy fit your eng and box to find out for sure.

#7 _BRUCEHOLDEN73_

_BRUCEHOLDEN73_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

hi thanks guys for all your help think i mite have done it with out cutting the fire wall

#8 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi Bruce.

I had my LX engineered with SBC about 10 years ago. I did all the usual things and the engineer was very happy...

Eg:
Upgraded brakes. In my case, HQ disk/drum combo
Upgraded suspension (eg. Heavy duty V8 springs)
CRS chassis kit
CRS trans crossmember
CRS or equivalent engine mount adapters
Minimum 10mm clearance around all components (this includes extractors, exhaust, steering, dizzy etc)
Exhaust noise level test - must be under 96dB
Car must pass a driving and repetitive braking test
Car must also meet all standard roadworthy requirements
If you have things like a 9" diff, this must have been built by a reputable shop with good welding etc.

To avoid cutting your firewall lip, just use the smallest dizzy/cap setup you can find.

Keep us posted with your build-up mate.

#9 _HRV74_

_HRV74_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

If it was me, I'd be cutting the lip for sure, unless you're engine bay is freshly painted perhaps. In mine, the front end of the car has extra spacers to effectively drop the height of the engine so the dizzy clears. Also, are you going to trim the rails? That's a must-do as well I reckon - changing plugs with the standard rails is an absolute pain. Just my 2 cents.

Are you in NSW? A "400" chev will be out of the question. 350 is the max, last time I looked into it anyway.

Cheers
H

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Couldn't agree more - trimming the rails is the best mod I ever did to mine.... makes like so much easier when stuffing around with both extractors and spark plugs - and engine fitment for that matter too. I also cut my firewall lip, and have heaps of dizzy clearance.... another highly recommended mod.

#11 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

The best way to fit the engine is by mounting the engine to the k frame and then lifting the body over it.
I have an ICE small cap distributor in mine

#12 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Name:Dan
  • Car:74 LH
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Guess I should throw my two cents in as well. I have an LH with a 383 chev (350) and it is a tight ass fight. If I was to do it again, I would bolt the engine to K frame and lower the car over it. That being said, you can drop the engine and trans in through the top. Anyway, about cutting the lip. When I first put the engine in and ran it up, my dizzy was rubbing on the lip and giving me grief. I ended up lifting the trans changing the pivot angle and moving the dizzy off the lip without needing to cut. It's close - about 2mm - but it works. I have a T700 (big trans) and it's close to the top of the tunnel but so far, so good. Also it helped with the headers hitting the steering shaft. I'm running standard engine mounts with castlemain alloy cast, chev engine mount adaptors. I think I have a little play in the mounts to the K frame to bring it all forward a few more mm. that will be my next move. Hope that helps.

#13 _FERGnz_

_FERGnz_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

hi im also in the middle of this mod. and not doing that great. mostly due the the headers.

ild like to hear more about this rail mod, and what needs to be cut ect ect... maybe photos

i have taken the lip out already so my big HEI dissy can fit.

also can i have a link to see these tuf mounts? or a photo please??

i needa chev into torana for beginners (dummys) hahah

#14 _FERGnz_

_FERGnz_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

also to add

im currently using Holden mounts with adapters. but one is ""taller" / wider than the other. what side should this be on?? big, left or right??

and what starter is recommended ? smaller ones to fit headers past? brands and types????

sorry for stealing your thread bruce hahaha

#15 _FERGnz_

_FERGnz_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

http://velocityauto....9&product_id=92

tuff mounts??? yes no?? just from a qwick google

#16 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

http://velocityauto....9&product_id=92

tuff mounts??? yes no?? just from a qwick google

That's them.

A few people must have broken their Google ? :tease: :google:

#17 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Extractors should be custom made for a Chev ( there are some off the shelf, but there poo ).
Search the site, there are heaps of topics about pipes on a sbc.

If it had a charcoal canister from factory, it will still need one now.
It can be hidden though. Again use the search button, theres heaps of info on that too.

#18 benno81

benno81

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have a sbc in my lh cae sump and mount adapters use standard torana v8 mounts
yes I cut my firewall just because I painted car before motor went in and I didnt want to cut after painting
I am running an msd dizzy with small cap and it would hit on standard firewall but that is running this certain mounts.
as for cutting rails and this and that there is no need
I made my own 4 into 1 1 7/8 extractors they are tight but so is every set of big pipes in a torana and u just have to work out where to locate them all no you dont need to go under the front end they fit between front end and sump.
Just my bit every one has there own way of doing things.

#19 _BRUCEHOLDEN73_

_BRUCEHOLDEN73_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

hi guys, thanks for all the info, its good that theres people out there that give you advice, to cut a long story short i had this slr it was engineered and regoed with a 400 chev every part on the car the body everything just needed work , so i started to do the body and then took the engine to the engine builder $$$ later cant tell the mrs that, i was taking the torana one day to the exhaust joint this guy pulls me up and says do u want to buy another torana so i go look at this car and yes i do buy it, rust free shell a lot less work than my slr, so ive had the motor done i bought off the shelf extractors had them all modified everythings clearing now, i have a disc brake rear end in the car 9 inch, hoper stopper brakes on the front, everything has been rebuilt in the front end and rear end, i have not got around to doing the exhaust yet, i really need to do if i am waisting my time doing this conversion with the 400 chev? will i ever be able to get it engineered or club regoed as im only on a budget build? thanks guys any help would be good,

#20 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

I agree, the headers (extractors) should be custom. At least I haven't seen any worth the trouble. The headers i have are off the shelf and they fit about as good as the UPC front brakes I was promised would "bolt right up". Custom is the go. The taller engine adapter goes on the drivers (Right) side to help with steering clearance. Given the chance again to put a holden or Chev engine in my torry, I would still pick chev, they are great engines, parts are cheap and while the dollar is good, the US market is great. I was going to buy a crate engine turn key but ended up having my chev custom built to exactly what I wanted. this way i could pick a cam to suit my trans etc etc. I used a builder in Syd and would highly recommend. I want to drop my trans a little so I have purchased an MSD 8570 small cap as it give 3/8 (10mm) total clearance, so i guess 3/16 (5mm) from dizzy to lip. As for starters, I have a compact high torque starter from Autopro (in the states, I live here) for about $200. With the charcoal canister, I used a smaller canister out of a VS commodore and as said above, they are easy enough to hide or move. I removed the canister and mounting bracket in the torry because they are untidy... I hope that answers some questions.

#21 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

The firewall lip is there for a reason.

If you fit a Chev; & you intend on trimming the lip; i suggest that you replace it. (i.e. don't leave the area open)

The reason for this ..... when it rains, the water runs down the lip section & straight over the dizzy. Water has a habit of getting into places where water shouldn't go. :)

#22 _434LX_

_434LX_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

The reason for this ..... when it rains, the water runs down the lip section & straight over the dizzy. Water has a habit of getting into places where water shouldn't go. :)

You would leave a Torana in the rain ! :o

#23 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi guys, I'm not sure who is still avidly following this thread but if you are interested, I have some pics of re drilled engine mounts and the inch of clearance I now have from the firewall lip to the dizzy. The RHS (drivers) header pipes are being slightly modified but all in all the Chev fits much better in the bay and the turbo 700 in the tunnel. Let me know if you want some pics

#24 _FERGnz_

_FERGnz_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

yea mate put up the pictures. every little bit helps

and explain each photo to haha

#25 Torryhead

Torryhead

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

G'day FERGnz, I'm collecting all the pics and will post soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users